Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,066 times

Advertisements

I just wouldn't do it. There are some great products out there that serve as alternatives. If a tooth is infected, they can remove it with local anesthesia and won't need to put a cat under. But, I would seriously try an alternative first like the Biotene Veterinary Care line...we just got ours last week and it is already improving our cat's breath and gum irritation and is fairly easy to administer. I like the water additive it is pretty convenient. We haven't try the mouthwash yet because I don't think she would do well with it, but we have already done both gels and although she isn't thrilled, she doesn't seem to despise it.

Regardless, Good Luck! I just don't feel comfortable putting this one under - we have no idea how old she is but that she is definitely in the Senior range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 10:22 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
When my Senior cats need dental work, the vet always does a blood panel first.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:05 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
99% of all defective cat teeth just fall out on their own. No problem. If a tooth is not infected, I would not put an elderly cat under anesthesia to remove them. I could be wrong and have no vet experience, I just would not do it.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:21 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,529 times
My cats have had good teeth and have never required much in the way of dental work, but our dogs were another story. We had one that had to have teeth cleanings twice a year. He lived to be 17 and yes, we were still getting them done at that age. We always had a full pre-anesthesia work up done first.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:26 PM

305 posts, read 655,063 times
Is the cat in pain?

If not I'd let it be and just switch to wet food.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
My cats have had good teeth and have never required much in the way of dental work, but our dogs were another story. We had one that had to have teeth cleanings twice a year. He lived to be 17 and yes, we were still getting them done at that age. We always had a full pre-anesthesia work up done first.
I've never had a cat that needed dental work. However when our mini Schnauzer hit around 14 or 15, he stopped chewing beef knuckle bones, a great doggy toothbrush. His teeth started to go quickly. He lived to 17 and had to be helped to the Rainbow Bridge.....

Old 02-07-2011, 03:45 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,611,349 times
Not read all posts her but I'd urge caution. If they don't need it for sure, hold off & do homework. I worry that the meds will put an elder to sleep & outweigh -- at this point -- the systemic worries of the disease process/longevity. I suggest you consult a reputable vet (not one than NEEDS your $) & see if they affirm that.

Please don't take my word 100% but do consider any more evals PRIOR to undergoing this procedure under meds. It may make a HUGE difference, since if anything were to go wrong it can't be taken back. Be as thorough as you can be w/ in reason. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,178 times
Several clinics in my area are part of a network offering anesthesia free cleaning for pets. Have not contacted any of them directly yet, but intend to do so, as my 12 year old does need her teeth cleaned. Am a bit wary and cautious until know more. Interesting website, sounds okay, but? Any experiences, comments, or opinions about this procedure would be welcome.
Pet Dental Services: Anesthesia-Free Teeth Cleaning for Dogs and Cats; dog dental care, taking care dogs teeth, cat teeth care, dog teeth problem, dog dental hygiene - About Pet Dental Services

Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Several clinics in my area are part of a network offering anesthesia free cleaning for pets. Have not contacted any of them directly yet, but intend to do so, as my 12 year old does need her teeth cleaned. Am a bit wary and cautious until know more. Interesting website, sounds okay, but? Any experiences, comments, or opinions about this procedure would be welcome.
Pet Dental Services: Anesthesia-Free Teeth Cleaning for Dogs and Cats; dog dental care, taking care dogs teeth, cat teeth care, dog teeth problem, dog dental hygiene - About Pet Dental Services
Wow. What an innovation, thanks for the info!

I wish the website was more forthcoming. For instance, how do they reduce the stress of the animal? How is the animal kept still? I wouldn't like to think of my cat being awake, and restrained, suffering stress and pain during this procedure. There are benefits to anesthesia, after all, in spite of the risks it comes with. But this is very interesting.

According to the site so far it is available in cities in California, Florida and Georgia only.

If anyone has had this procedure used with their cat's dental I hope they will post their experiences here.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:38 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I wish the website was more forthcoming. For instance, how do they reduce the stress of the animal? How is the animal kept still? I wouldn't like to think of my cat being awake, and restrained, suffering stress and pain during this procedure.
This is my major concern. An unsedated pet would almost surely have to have all four legs in some form of secure restraint, as well as the head. In addition, likely that the type of insertions used by dentists on humans to keep the mouth open and still would be used. All this would add up to a very stressed out cat or dog, imo. Perhaps the pets are given a mild oral sedation? Still though, better than the risks of anesthesia? If I find out more, or have the procedure done, will come back and post on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats