Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times

Advertisements

Jasper is shot free since I got him...he is inside, only cat, no claws, already fixed. I think he probably had shots, but I don't have a record...don't want the poor boy shot up again for no reason. My only issue is if he has to fly or be boarded, they usually want some paperwork for that. But last time Beau flew, they did not look at the health paperwork, they just wanted the credit card for his ticket...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,589 times
My problem is that we board our cat at times, and therefore he needs to be UTD on his shots. In fact, I got my postcard reminder last week for: Rabies (I thought I signed up for the 3 year vax), FVRCP Booster (what's that?), Fecal Exam/deworming (why on earth would he need this??). I'm confused as to what I should do. It all seems unnecessary to me. Willow is a healthy indoor only cat.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:37 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
My problem is that we board our cat at times, and therefore he needs to be UTD on his shots. In fact, I got my postcard reminder last week for: Rabies (I thought I signed up for the 3 year vax), FVRCP Booster (what's that?), Fecal Exam/deworming (why on earth would he need this??). I'm confused as to what I should do. It all seems unnecessary to me. Willow is a healthy indoor only cat.
Rabies is required by law in most places in the USA, and most vets have gone to the PureVax non-adjuvanted rabies shot, which only approved for one year protection. The adjuvant is the booster to keep the immunity effective for three years, and is thought to be the cause of VAS (vaccine associated sarcoma), which is why vets prefer the PureVax.

FVRCP is protection against herpes(FVR, Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, a serious upper respiratory infection with no cure), C, calcivirus, and P, panleukopenia, ( distemper, a very serious usually fatal illness) It is usually given every 3 years, but is not required by law most places.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,288,293 times
The reminder card is from your vet ,right, not the boarding place.
It's more of a marketing tool, designed to keep business coming in, than a specific, personal assessment of Your cats' needs. You are not obligated to get any vaccine not required by law.
I don't know a thing about actually having cats' vaccinated,so I can't speak to that, but don't be cowed or intimidated into doing something your not sure of. It's marketing, oh.. depending on your vets "business model" dental is being pushed too.

You should go onto Veterinary Business Management websites, not medical sights and look around. Very interesting. I'm all for running a successful business, but ethics need to be part of practice.
Being proactive and checking every patient for dental needs, just in case, is a lot different than deciding to try to schedule dental for every patient..
" GETTING THE CUSTOMER TO YES"
And don't forget to let them sell you a lot of retail items!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,457 times
Its all about the money .. profit and greed at the expense of the pets health and a play on the "if you loved your pet " sad really

Old 06-09-2011, 01:36 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,604,817 times
Quote:
Your cat doesn't necessarily need the fecal, but usually vets include it in with the yearly shots. It determines whether the cat has parasites. It's pretty standard. Personally I think it's more important for dogs to have this because they are at greater risk than an indoor-only cat.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:42 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
Neither of my cat-only vets has been a fan of yearly fecal exams. Maybe if she was going outside, but they always confirmed with me that she wasn't. So it's like this: the cat hasn't had a stool sample exam in 15 years.

Now when we had a different cat, who had been going to a mixed vet where they also saw dogs and such, they always wanted a stool sample for fecal exam. They also had computerized records, a lot of building and equipment to pay for, etc. Hm. They weren't awful and I wouldn't be wary of using them if there was some capability my solo practitioner cat vet didn't have, but I wouldn't choose them as my primary vet.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:23 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
Quote:
Check your records...if you had Willow vaccinated with the 3 yr. rabies vaccine last year, you won't need to have that one given. Also, check with your boarding facility as far as which vaccs they require cats to have in order to board...they might only require the rabies, and if they do, the FVRCP booster won't be necessary, either, you would probably just have to show proof that the 3 yr. rabies was administered less than 3 years ago. As for the fecal/deworming, I think it's unnecessary unless you're seeing some kind of issue...some people like to have it done yearly just for peace of mind, but it's definitely not required by law or anything .

Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 PM

71 posts, read 104,534 times
Seriously, this makes me never want to trust vets EVER again.
I feel like everything they say is just a scam to make more money.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:55 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
If your cat ever gets rabies it will almost certainly die. Distemper can be deadly too. I think you would change your position about vaccinations, but by then it would be too late. A day or two of lethargy is a small price to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats