Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:14 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times

Advertisements

Well, I've brought my 2 office cats home to live with my 3 home boys. I wonder if Hannah is somewhat claustrophobic. She's always been a nightmare to put in a carrier, but I put her in the med dog size carrier (she's only a >9lb bitty thing) and she was no trouble at all. And once we were all in the car and moving, not a peep out of her the whole 1/2 hour drive!

Once we got home and I put them in the back room.. she zipped out and found the most inaccessible hiding spot she could get to. I tried to put up 2 stacked baby gates at the door so I could keep it open for airflow (it's hot back there), but one of the home boys was able to jump it and kept going back to eat their food and relax - he loves that room. So I've had to close the door - with a small fan in there.

She wouldn't come out, so we managed to haul her out. I showed her the water, the food dishes and the litter box (all the same they had at the office) and tried to convince her that the wicker thing was a good place to hide, but she wasn't impressed. When I put out some Fancy Feast in with their dry food and put her in front of it, she ate! so, she's not so stressed she won't eat. That's good. She's got her buddy William in there for company, even though he's been at home before and knows the house and the other boys.

DH just checked on them and she's still out lying on the floor with William. I'm about to put some rescue remedy in the water (I forgot during the setup). Oh I hope I can let her out soon.

anyone have any suggestions for the merge? the home boys are all pretty laid back. Hannah just is a scaredey-girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,858,331 times
How long has it been that you've been trying to integrate them into the household? I would take a couple of weeks (minimum) if possible. Then let the ones out in the one room and sniff around....you really want to get them used to each other's scents....so when they do finally meet one another - it won't really be new.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 PM

I wish I could let it be weeks! but it might be too hot. William has been here before and knows the others (and they know him. he's even eaten with them before), but I want him in there somewhat to keep her company. They only just came home about 8pm tonight (maybe 3 hours ago)! I wanted to have the babygates up so 1) there could be better airflow (we have heat indexes over 100 these days!), and 2) the other cats could meet them through the gate. But.. no, Henry had to spoil it by jumping the gates. <sigh>.

I plan on cross-combing them tomorrow. Believe me, they can smell the other cats in that room even though I vacuumed today- Henry & Canute love that room and are a bit annoyed they can't go in there right now. The home boys are very friendly and immediately crowded around to meet the new arrivals. I've been telling them all about the other ones and how the home boys need to be patient and help Hannah relax!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:13 PM

Where are you from? We have 100 degree heat right now but we have air conditioning. I'm here in the DC metro area. But, my family who lives up north in Vermont....is having 90 degree heat....but no air conditioning....yuck.

I think you're doing the best you can. Have you tried opening the door a little bit to let them all snif eachother and see their reactions. I have a couple of cats (11 total....I work with rescue) that are so laid back...they really could care less about any other cats coming into the household. I have a couple of others that view a new addition as a new friend to play with. And then I have a couple of others that are absolutely horrified and need to make it known that they are top dog by trying to terrorize them....

One thing - try and associate good things with the new smells...like when you let them sniff one another, load them up with treats or whatever it is they like.... you know your kitties best!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 PM

Haha - I just saw where you are....MD....yep - yucky there right now!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:18 PM

I'm in Laurel! It was 107 at 5pm today. we only have window a/c and that room doesn't (but it has a door and enough room to set up dishes & litterbox!). I tried gating the end of the hallway so I could open the door and let cool air from the hall get in. William came out immediately - he's having an air break at the moment. Hannah looked out and decided to go hide - too much too soon, I guess. Unfortunately Henry had to ruin it again by climbing over, so I've had to close the door again.

so you're in NoVa? how'd a VTer end up down here? I came down for college and got married. Moving back to NH after christmas next year! grandparents were from VT (NEK).

Old 07-23-2011, 09:32 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
I can't help with the merge, but if you put a bowl of ice in front of the fan it should help cool down the room a little more.

I grew up on the East Coast and while I miss some things the heat and humidity are not among them. Hopefully it will break for you soon.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:07 PM

thanks, Dogmama! should have thought of that. right now I've brought here out to cool a little. I put her in the tub (dry) just to cool her pads a little. right now she's in my lap since I have a fan that blows on me here. she's still pretty scared. I'd keep her in the bathroom, but it's too small for dishes & litter.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:30 AM

they survived their first night! I tried the bowl of ice in front of the big box fan. Not sure it really did anything, but I tried it. around 3am I got up to check on them (ok: really for the bathroom, but while I was up...) and they knocked the box fan over on TOP of the bowl of melted ice.. (that's why the bowl was in a pyrex dish) luckily it didn't cause a problem. but it didn't do anything either. So I fixed that, and decided to try to crack the door a little and block it with a tall suitcase - so no enterprising homeboy could decide to pull the door open! I'm hoping that way a little cool hall air can get in where the fans can move it around.

They seemed ok. Hannah started to hide when I came in for breakfast, but she relaxed to see it was just me. I combed them, gave William his pills and gave them breakfast. Hannah seems a little more relaxed, but.. we'll see.

William really wants to come out and lounge downstairs, but I'm afraid if he's gone too much, Hannah will get scared without him. But.. they aren't truly merging, yet. I tried a little cross-combing after breakfast.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 AM

I carried Henry in so he could look out the window and smell them (he's been very curious). They were fine with him in the room, Hannah and he sniffed a bit with no reaction. Then he ate some of their food and went back to sniff again and she got cranky! so I took him out. But.. maybe they're too hot to care too much? at least a little?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats