Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:59 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I volunteer at a cat shelter and have volunteered at various others before. Out of 100 people dumping... maybe one or two have a valid reason. The rest are doing it because it is easier than dealing with health or behavior issues, they don't spay/neuter and want to dump the kittens, the novelty has worn off or they are having "a baby" and now don't see any need for their cat, or other excuses.... it gets really old.
I know. I know. I've also heard all the same excuses. I also saw them on CL when we were looking for two kittens. The same excuses I heard many years ago. People don't change much over time. The first place I volunteered at was the privately run Chernack Animal Shelter in Queens NY. That was back in the late 1960s. They were looking for a vet tech and I volunteered. Heartbreaking. These are people who should never have gotten the cat or dog in the first place. It was a toy to most of them, an object, never a family member. And like most toys, the novelty wears off. But would it be better if they kept the cat (or other pet) feeling the way they do about it? Look at the abuse and sometimes the actually killing or torture of unwanted children, and they're human beings. It may be better for the cat if someone gets it who will love it and give it the care and love and attention it needs. Those looking to dump it sure wont. The answer is to discourage these people from getting pets in the first place. And that, as far as I can see, can't be done easily.

Quote:
That is the reality I see every week, unfortunately. We get phone calls of people wanting to dump every day and then they want to try and blame us for not being able to to take their animal.... because we are totally full. There are exceptions, there always are... but from almost 20 years of experience I conclude that in the vast majority of the cases, people dump for convenience.
For convenience? Sadly, this is probably true. Another issue were I live adding to the rehoming "list of reasons" is more landlords than ever are refusing to rent to people with pets. Or they charge such a high fee that many people can't afford it. Or the places who do allow pets are in ghetto or run down areas where people fear living. As the economy worsens I'm seeing this happen more often. After a few bad experiences the landlords will no longer allow anything more than bird or hamster - if that. It's a real serious issue for cat and dog owners here in the mid-state. What are these people to do with their pets when forced to move? This has to be occurring in other areas also. As little as 10 years ago renting a place that allowed pets was not hard to find and the pet fees were affordable.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
. Every time I run into this couple I get annoyed thinking about what they did to their cats...and now that they've had their baby and moved into a new apartment, they have told a mutual friend that they're "ready" to adopt a cat or two . Eegads!

I would do the same for my animal family...I take my promise to love and care for them very seriously, I consider it a sacred vow.
Brevity snips.

Ready to adopt more cats.... makes you sick and angry doesn't it? That's how it makes me feel. If it took her months to find a free cat or if cats cost a few hundred dollars each because spay/neuter laws were in place, she'd still have the original cats. I'll say it again. Most people don't value what comes too easily and for free. That includes pets.

We've devoted ourselves to our cats and unless we're on our deathbeds we wouldn't consider getting rid of them. They're not toys to be cast aside because the novelty wore off. They're sensitive sentient little beings and a big part of our lives. They're loved members of our family who have brought laughter and joy into our lives after our elderly dogs went to the Bridge to await us. We could no more get rid of them than we could our own human children. Maybe we're fanatics, if so, so be it.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:23 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I don't know how he could be guilty of all this abuse when he runs such an open operation. Some places would put the cats in cages to keep them safe but then they would suffer.

The cats have the run of the property but the alternative is worse. If some get hurt well then isn't that just the way life is? Our kids get hurt when they are out in the yard but putting any living thing into a cage to protect them would not be the answer.

I think this man does his best and he is out a mega amount of money. Why he has to be out more money that is taken away from the cats hiring a lawyer is just wrong. Places have shut down because of this and it is a shame.
Rep you if I could!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Brevity snips. We've devoted ourselves to our cats and unless we're on our deathbeds we wouldn't consider getting rid of them. They're not toys to be cast aside because the novelty wore off. They're sensitive sentient little beings and a big part of our lives. They're loved members of our family who have brought laughter and joy into our lives after our elderly dogs went to the Bridge to await us. We could no more get rid of them than we could our own human children. Maybe we fanatics, if so, so be it.
I have an agreement with someone IF anything should ever happen to BOTH myself and hubs, that all of our babies would be euthanized. No one could ever take care of these babies as we do, and the thought of them wasting away in a no-kill shelter, terrified and ill, puts pure panic in my heart. Even if there was a Caboodle Ranch here, I still would have this plan carried out. All my cats need medication of some sort every day, being either Allopathic or Homeopathic or combination of both, and all get hands- on treatments from me.

This is such a hard topic for me to talk about. I lean on my faith that I will outlive my babies, and that I will be able to take care them for the rest of their natural lives. They are truly our family, and no one that I know of, would gladly adopt a cat with multiple problems such as ours.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:33 PM

Smile Helping good causes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Supporting those who have undertaken some huge responsibilities is so fulfilling. I wish more people would decide to help the "good" causes.
Snip.

We have. If we had all the money we've donated over the years we could take an extended trip abroad. It is at this time in my life that I'm trying to decide which animal org to leave part of my estate to. Any suggestions?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
what about your local no kill shelter? We have included in our wills gifts to local PBS stations and local no kill shelters as well as other charities.There ar so many rescue organizations who need funds too. Tippy Hedron, Doris Day and Bob Barker are just a few celebrities who do animal rescue work as well. We have an elephant rescue place here in N.C. which I support. There is certainly no lack of animal welfare programs who need our money.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Snip.

We have. If we had all the money we've donated over the years we could take an extended trip abroad. It is at this time in my life that I'm trying to decide which animal org to leave part of my estate to. Any suggestions?
We are at the same place. Looking for good charities that you know will use your money wisely is a job. No Kuzu....nice recommendations! Thank you!

Old 04-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I have an agreement with someone IF anything should ever happen to BOTH myself and hubs, that all of our babies would be euthanized.
That's so sad. That would be the last choice I would have for our kitties. So far, unless their lives change drastically, our cats will go to cat-loving family members. They will be paid from our estate whether they expect to be or not. So far whenever anyone died in the family, their cats or dogs stayed in the family. No one was given away or dumped in a shelter.

Quote:
No one could ever take care of these babies as we do, and the thought of them wasting away in a no-kill shelter, terrified and ill, puts pure panic in my heart.
From what I've seen online and on TV, there are people out there who will adopt special-needs kitties. These Rescues or Shelters give the cats the medications they need. They're not left to languish in a cage sick and suffering. That would be a horror. Most don't even cage them. They have pods or large rooms to live in until adopted.

Quote:
Even if there was a Caboodle Ranch here, I still would have this plan carried out. All my cats need medication of some sort every day, being either Allopathic or Homeopathic or combination of both, and all get hands- on treatments from me.
You would need to start looking for a place before age catches up with you as it does all of us. There are places that take special needs kitties as mentioned above. Experienced staff takes care of them and they're not caged. I know that some charge a fee to cover expenses until the cat is adopted out.

Quote:
This is such a hard topic for me to talk about. I lean on my faith that I will outlive my babies, and that I will be able to take care them for the rest of their natural lives. They are truly our family, and no one that I know of, would gladly adopt a cat with multiple problems such as ours.
But that's something we can't know. There are kind compassionate people out there who would be willing to adopt a special needs cat. They're all evaluated by Lic Vets before being placed so the person knows exactly what they're getting and how to best care for the cat. But if it would ease your mind to have them euthanized than that's what you have to do.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:53 PM

Someone who isn't sitting from the position I am in, cannot possibly know how hard this decision is. I've seen the no kill shelter here and it is stuff made for nightmares, with cats in cages stacked 3 cages high, the air thick with chemicals and kitty litter dust, rows upon rows of cats. You really think that my Molly, for instance, would get her heart medications on time, twice daily with all those cats to attend to? And what about during the day, who would observe her to know when it is time to give her the K+ supplement she needs twice daily as well? Or who is going to know when Charlie, as an other example, needs his homeopathy remedy to eliminate his muscle spasms he gets due to FLUTD and give him his physical therapy he gets from me? Who is going to feed my babies the food they want, most especially the raw, that most want? And as for family, sorry, I wouldn't dream of leaving my babies with family. I am the "odd" one out who loves my cats the way I do. I do have one other sister who is like me, but she has her hands so full as it is, I wouldn't burden her with my babies.

How can I explain when cats have seen hell, or who are ill, who get so close to each other and to me? When Molly, again for an example, has one of her "anxiety" days, she cries out MOM MOM, and no matter what I am doing, I go running to be with her. She just wants me to be close to her until her anxiety passes. I couldn't possibly even think of someone else caring for my babies, or separating them. This is a unique "family" we have created. With no one responsible enough to care for them, and with no other options but a no kill shelter, no.

We ourselves have a small version of a Caboodle Ranch going on here. Now, if I knew of someone who would actually come into this house, and take over this "sanctuary" when both hubs and I pass on, that would be the ideal situation.

Ya gotta stand in someone else's shoes so that you have the understanding of what that person lives. I don't have as many options as most people have.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
It is at this time in my life that I'm trying to decide which animal org to leave part of my estate to. Any suggestions?
How about Caboodle Ranch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats