Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,950,244 times

Advertisements

I like cats really I do.. BUT a conely of ferals crapping and spraying all over my yard is not a good thing .. They have a home the junk yard two lots over and they should stay there he feeds them and keeps them sheltered in Mn winters and I am glad he does that .. BUT they wont stay in his junk yard!.. what to do .. This is a big group at least 50 to 75 diffrent cats .. and my yard already stinks..

The local cops would just shoot them if I complain so .. give me ideas to run them outta my yard and keep them out ..
I already know do not feed them .. what can I grow that will keep them away .. ( yep would rather do it politely than to resort to traps and issues in the neighborhood)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 08:40 PM

5,016 posts, read 10,709,352 times
You can get some "invisible fence" type stuff; it is usually some kind of smell that cats don't want to go near.

Also, try to get the cats to a shelter, if (and only if!) it is no-kill. Or try to contact a trap-and-release program in the area, which will at least neuter the males and stop them from spraying all over the place; those strays really need to get spayed and neutered so that they don't just keep multiplying.

For what it is worth, I commend you all for caring for and being tolerant of that many stray cats, which is truly kind. But I can only imagine your exasperation. You clearly need some help managing them (and I don't blame you, most would have gone over to crazy a long time ago), so I would try to find some organizations in your area who can humanely help out with the situation, if possible.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 AM

My area of Mn would have a Cat Hunt/shoot and i cant do that .. If I could afford to nueter the males i would .. and trap and take in to shelters in this area is a auto death sentence .. I live in a very small country town and the farmers and folks here simply do not care .. cats are like rabbits here so pest control is how they are handled if ferals ::sighs:: looking for things I can grow on the edges of the yard to keep them out or something that will make them not want to come in the yard

Old 04-25-2011, 11:45 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
This is a sore point with me today. My cat sneaked out on Friday night (he is only allowed outside with us during the day), and was bitten by a stray cat in our fenced in yard. This is Monday, and my cat is now at the Vet with IV fluids and antibiotics from the resulting abcess.
I'm feeling like I want to stay up all night with a garden hose armed and ready...at the very least.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:39 PM

5,016 posts, read 10,709,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
My area of Mn would have a Cat Hunt/shoot and i cant do that .. If I could afford to nueter the males i would .. and trap and take in to shelters in this area is a auto death sentence .. I live in a very small country town and the farmers and folks here simply do not care .. cats are like rabbits here so pest control is how they are handled if ferals ::sighs:: looking for things I can grow on the edges of the yard to keep them out or something that will make them not want to come in the yard
Oh, that truly sucks I would plant some Coleus Canina if you can find it. Also, rue and lavendar.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,860,451 times
You should talk to a local rescue league. They might be able to provide some assistance and/or work a deal with a vet to get the situation taken care of. They can spay/neuter them so they don't reproduce and clips their ears when that is done so if the same one gets caught - they won't have to go through it again.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,842,813 times
Cats don't defecate where they eat.

If you feed the ferals, your yard will become a restaurant instead of a latrine.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,842,813 times
Cats don't defecate where they eat.

If you feed the ferals, your yard will become their restaurant instead of their toilet.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:27 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,669,220 times
I do not think you can prevent them from coming onto your property. I have many here by my home in Fl. They climb my wooden fence, picket fence, arbors and trellises. I have seen many in my backyard and now a little skinny black one goes in and out of my garage. I actually just went out and put a bowl of water under a bench by my garage and put some food out. I know, now he/she will invite all other friends over for lunch!!!!!
I put food out because I felt sorry for the poor thing, she looks at me and meows all the time. I think it is a she, very young and think she has kittens somewhere.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:35 AM

I will not feed them .. as I said befor they have a home at the junkyard I called AC and told them the old boy is over run with cats .. They said they will go look and talk to him so yes I know that most likely the cats will be rounded up and euthed BUT they are gonna end up dying of some cat virus or such if the colony gets much bigger .. you can see alot of inbreeding with this group as well they are "odd" looking and you can see the breeding tie in to who is mom or dad of many of them .. .. yes I do watch them if it werent for the health and sanitation issues I wouldnt care but this is to much for such a area .. (
What I did do was take some catnip seed over and plant it by the junkyard fence to keep them there but that takes time .. I also bought a buncha the stuff and tossed it over the fence and hopefully they will stay there .. .. the smell of cat pee is nasty in the early mornings and that is alot of the issues ... its on my front steps .. ugh unacceptable
the other issue is I have coupla dogs .. and one of them is a cat killer .. I cant do that to the cats .. they tease him already with perching on the fence .. He almost had one the other day so yeh .. lets not do that ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats