Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:23 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times

Advertisements

Ok, my kitty has had little things, like scabs, around his face.

they aren't very evident, you don't see them, just feel them when you pet him. He's a long-hair, so its not real evident. there's a few around his chin, some around his outer ear, he keeps scratching.

Like I say, he had this about a year ago, I thought it was fleas, treated him, and it didn't come back until now. It can't be fleas, he hasn't been outdoors for over a year.

Please don't suggest taking him to a vet, we can't afford one, can barely afford health care for ourselves. what could this be? any suggestions, any OTC creams that could help? Perhaps he needs vitamins? we feed him the Blue catfood---thanks for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
Can you post a pic? Because it sounds like mange from your description, in which case you would have to take him to the vet. Is he indoor only? Is he on flea medication?

It could also be a food allergy. Even on a high quality cat food, cats can have an allergic reaction, so you would have to begin experimenting with different types of food. If the food is a dry food, try to switch to grain-free dry and/or wet. You can also try adding fish/salmon oil to his diet.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Can you post a pic? Because it sounds like mange from your description, in which case you would have to take him to the vet. Is he indoor only? Is he on flea medication?

It could also be a food allergy. Even on a high quality cat food, cats can have an allergic reaction, so you would have to begin experimenting with different types of food. If the food is a dry food, try to switch to grain-free dry and/or wet. You can also try adding fish/salmon oil to his diet.

Well, I will try to pst a pic, but if its mange, we will find a way to take him to the vet. that's what you use credit cards for---we can't have mange extend to our other cats, or other family members

Old 08-04-2011, 06:50 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
It sounds like fleas to me.

He doesn't have to go outdoors to get fleas, they come in on your shoes and clothing. My cat doesn't go out, but yet he gets fleas. I treat him with Advantage every month to make sure they don't live on him or bite me.

One of my neighbors didn't believe his cats had fleas until he saw them. I was over there one day, and a flea jumped on me, so he finally got some Advantage for his cats.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, I will try to pst a pic, but if its mange, we will find a way to take him to the vet. that's what you use credit cards for---we can't have mange extend to our other cats, or other family members
Please do try to post a pic. It's so hard to tell just from a description.

If it is just bumps under the chin, then that is simply "cat acne": my cat gets this and I just use a cloth and some mild soap to wash her chin area, especially after she eats:

Cat acne

Scabies and/or sarcoptic mange usually appears as red dots on the ears and face, and is accompanied by itching and hair loss. Fortunately, mild cases can sometimes be treated (by a vet) with ivermectin, dips or Revolution.

As the above poster stated, it can also be a reaction to fleas, although such reactions usually occur first around the base of the tail.

Either way, if your cat is not already on a topical flea preventative, I would go out and get some Revolution. Unfortunately, I think you need a prescription for it and it is expensive--about $25/dose; one pack = 6 doses = $125. Moreover, the Revolution alone may not cure scabies, if that's what it is. However, usually you rule out scabies and mange first (usually with a skin scraping by the vet), then fleas (vet will comb and look for fleas). If it's neither, then it is probably a food allergy.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:31 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
You can buy Advantage OTC, either by ordering from eBay, or in a pet supply store that sells individual tubes. If you order from eBay, it's around $18-$19 for a tube for large dogs over 55lbs, and it'll come with a little glass vial, instructions and a syringe to administer it with. The medication is the same for both cats and dogs, the only difference is the dosage.

I have a big cat, and he gets .80ml per month.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
I agree that the first thing you should suspect is acne. Does he eat from a plastic or ceramic bowl? If so, switch him to stainless steel and make sure it gets washed every few days. If it goes away the problem is solved. If that doesn't work I'd think about his food next and a possible allergy. Have you switched brands or has the brand been reformulated? Cats can be highly allergic to grains because that are not in a cats natural diet, so switching to a grain free food could help a great deal.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 PM

Thanks, everyone, I will try to post pictures tomorrow, but I do think its acne!

He does eat from a plastic cat feeder and water bowl. I will change those. Also, I read Epsom salt is good, I will try that with warm compresses, and perhaps a mild peroxide gel, and trim his "beard".

Old 08-05-2011, 04:49 PM

We think its acne, I remember a vet saying it could be acne awhile ago.

Last night, with the help of Dd, I trimmed his "beard" then, made warm soaks with water and epsom salt, he seemed to like it. then, when softened, I used a q-tip to loosen, seemed to be much better this afternoon. We will keep an eye on it, also, I reas to us peroxide gel, will get some this afternoon. he doesn't seem to be scratching so much now, thanks for the advice.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
We think its acne, I remember a vet saying it could be acne awhile ago.

Last night, with the help of Dd, I trimmed his "beard" then, made warm soaks with water and epsom salt, he seemed to like it. then, when softened, I used a q-tip to loosen, seemed to be much better this afternoon. We will keep an eye on it, also, I reas to us peroxide gel, will get some this afternoon. he doesn't seem to be scratching so much now, thanks for the advice.
I would actually stay away from hydrogen peroxide as it can irritate the skin and cause it to blister. Soap and water is fine; the epsom salts are great--they will naturally leech out any bacteria and blockages. If you are really concerned about infection, I would get some OTC antibiotic cream for cats to put on after you soak the spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats