Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 26,363 times

Advertisements

Thanks. I was going to try raw because I get the reasons; but my older cat 10 years Bling has early ckd and I wanted to find a good mix I could feed him and Fuzzy, my 2 year old.

Any tips are really appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I dropped Wellness brand cans last yr due to recall issues. I've used these daily (alternating each brand) & it seems to be ok, though she vomits 1x/wk on avg. I've asked vets re: these brands & few vets have heard of Weruva as a maker. So, can anyone eval these, & if I should stay grain-free w/ these brands or switch to another?

Sorry if this is redundant but yet, I've no clear idea if I'm doing it right or just being dumb/lazy to not open up to other foods.

Weruva I order online via Amazon, & Soulistic (Weruva's step-down brand) I buy at local PetCo.

We have 11 cats that are inside and 2 to 3 who are outside strays that we feed daily. Out of that number, surprisingly, only half will eat the Weruva canned cat food that we try to feed them. We use the chicken and liver, and other chicken based varieties. They dislike the one that has sardines and mackeral - all of them! Re: Quality, I am sure it is quite good and it has a great rep and that is why I tried it.

I use Natural Balance wet heavily and they love it and use the NB dry also.

I do use Wellness, Science Diet and Friskies also. Bear in mind all my cats came to us as outdoor strays and they will not all eat the "good" brands.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Haha, haven't been on here in wks but see my thread is still in use.

Ok, I have now begun almost exclusive use of 'Rad Cat' Raw cat food. It has 3 flavors of; Organic Chicken, Free-range Turkey & Lamb (I do only use Lamb sparingly, as it is highest in fat & lowest in protein). This Raw food is great, she loves it, it has salmon oil & dulce among other good things supplementing it.

I alternate every flavor of canned Nature's Variety cans too, only if I run out while waiting for a new 'Rad Raw' order. It works great so far, & adds variety, & makes me feel safer than if just Raw food alone. If any issues arise w/ the Raw, down the rd, I know I've diversified it by adding the cans. Nature's Variety is best, I think, due to no BPA in cans & no carregeenan too.

Try this combo if you can/want, & I bet it'll be the BEST regimen you can find as far as I've seen thus far. I use NO other foods/brands including dropping ALL Weruva/Soulistic & Wellness cans. I also add a teaspoon daily of Farmer's Mkt Organic Pumpkin to her Raw or canned bowls daily for abdominal soothing/comfort.

Best of luck.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,693 times
Default Cat Ed 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I agree with you about fish and I don't feed any fish foods to my cats. The only Soulistic I buy is the Good Karma chicken, there is no fish in it.

The California Natural does have fish listed low in the ingredients, but that is the ONLY food with fish they get, and they only get it once a month, if that.
Forgive me for the questions, but I'm new to cat ownership and want to do the best for my feline friend. I have recently adopted a cat that thinks she's a dog, and is approx 3 years old and about 11 lbs. I've been feeding her 1 can of wet (Simply Nourish, Weruva, Blue Buffalo)-- no filler type foods per day, and leaving out a bowl of Blue Buffalo dry for her to nibble on. I'm reading that you shouldn't feed your cat food with fish as an ingredient, is this correct? If so, then why? Or why not?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:55 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micnic7 View Post
Forgive me for the questions, but I'm new to cat ownership and want to do the best for my feline friend. I have recently adopted a cat that thinks she's a dog, and is approx 3 years old and about 11 lbs. I've been feeding her 1 can of wet (Simply Nourish, Weruva, Blue Buffalo)-- no filler type foods per day, and leaving out a bowl of Blue Buffalo dry for her to nibble on. I'm reading that you shouldn't feed your cat food with fish as an ingredient, is this correct? If so, then why? Or why not?
Welcome to the forum, and to the world of cats! Congratulations on your new feline friend. She doesn't think she is a dog. Cats never think they are dogs, cats know they are cats.

First, get rid of the dry food. Cats don't need it, and it is very bad for them.

Here's a link for you to read to understand why

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Before I answer your question about fish I would like to state that this is a very old post of mine (the one you quoted) and I no longer feed either of the foods mentioned in that post.

Fish is to be avoided for a number of reasons. Some of those reasons, and in no particular order are:

Fish can be high in heavy metals, including mercury. Very toxic to cats.
The quality of the fish in pet foods is poor.
Fish is high in phosphorous and magnesium, which puts cats at a higher for risk for urinary tract disease.
Fish is high in histamine, which means it is a very high allergen to cats.
Fish can be addictive, causing the cat to refuse to eat anything else.
Tuna, specifically, can create a thiamine deficiency.
The fish in pet food is heavily preserved during the manufacturing process using a chemical preservative called ethoxyquin, which is known to be a cancer-causing agent.(Ethoxyquin is banned from use in human food except in very small quantities allowed as preservatives in spices.)

Old 03-09-2014, 07:48 PM

114 posts, read 192,340 times
Good advice. On here. It will be a great day for cats everywhere when dry cat food is banned.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I add my welcome...welcome to the forum (fur-um? fur-room?)

I'm also not a big fan of Blue Buffalo, because they don't share nutritional fact data that I feel they should. My vet also said that he'd had cases of dogs with bad digestive problems on BB brand, but that isn't especially relevant as it's dry dog food...if Blue would give out the % calories from carbs/proteins/fats data and it proved to be acceptable, I'd buy the canned cat food. But I don't know...so I won't.

If you transition your cat to all wet, which I highly recommend, you'll have some questions. Such as whether the cat will be OK without food out all the time to eat. Yes, absolutely. Free feeding often leads to unhealthy fat cats! Having set mealtimes is better. Can the wet food sit out? (we humans often think it would be nasty)...yes, that really is no problem. I leave my cat's food out up to 10 hours sometimes, he still eats of it if he wants to, I've seen him do so, and it has caused no health effects. How many times a day and how much should you feed the cat? Your cat weighs 11 lbs, which is about what my cat weighs, but is a little older than mine. I feed Nimbus 3 times a day and he gets a 3oz can each time. Some posters will tell you to check how many calories are in the kinds you're feeding...I don't do that. But a good rule is to just pay attention to what's going on with the cat. If they seem to be getting a little fat (which you can tell from looking at them from above) then feed a bit less. Different cats have different needs. Sometimes you have to play it by ear a bit. I would expect a cat to eat 6-9 oz of wet food a day. Maybe a bit more for a super high energy beastie like a Bengal. Not less.

www.catinfo.org has tons of great information.

Again...welcome!

Old 05-23-2014, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,543 times
The one thing I believe that is being left out here that is VERY important is that Weruva is made in Thailand! They distribute the food from the states but why in the world are they not manufacturing this food in the states where there are higher food quality standards? MONEY! They do not advertise this information and I feel we should all be concerned where furry friends food is being manufactured. They do not have the same standards in Thailand. This is the only issue I have with Weruva. I thought all along I was buying an amazing food for my feline friend, however, now I have learned this information I am on the search for a new food - one that is made in the US. Please consider this information when you make the decision which food to feed your sweet pet!

Old 05-25-2014, 07:01 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Weruva does not hide the fact that their foods are made in Thailand. It says so right on their website. Thailand is not China. Many "made in USA" foods are made from ingredients that come from China. Feeding commercial foods really takes a lot of work and research doesn't it? It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:26 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
I would trust Weruva to feed my human children! In no particular order...

1. They don't mfg ANY kibble. That alone, shows they are on the ball, concerning kibble being a species inappropriate diet.
2. Cans are free of BPA.
3. They are willing to make changes. Spinach is gone from their ingredient list.
4. I don't feed ANY fish flavors of anything. But their explanation, for their fish varieties...I believe they believe in their reasons, testing, etc. There are plenty of non-fish flavors for me to choose from.
5. Carrageenan free. (VERY important!)
6. Their products are made in a human food facility, with many "people" ingredients.
7. No rendering plants supply their ingredients.
8. They offer a lot of foods that are very low in carbs.
9. Most of their foods lean towards less calories.
10. I am not related, employed, or have a personal or business relationship with Weruva.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats