Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,525,438 times

Advertisements

For a while now a rather large cat has been hanging around. Over the past 6 weeks or so its been lurking around more often. One of the neighbors told me that there was a breeder in the neighborhood who moved but 2 of the cats got away. This is one of them, easily twice the size of other cats I've had and some of those were pretty big. Anyway, it is friendly but will not eat anything but fresh meat, almost exclusively salmon. I have seen it catch pocket gophers on our property. What a treasure to have around. As soon as it becomes more comfortable around us I want to take it to the vet to have it checked, since it seems to be here to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 03:51 PM

24,726 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Lucky you!!!

Old 10-30-2014, 03:59 PM

14,377 posts, read 11,783,157 times
It seems odd that six weeks would pass without the breeder attempting to catch his valuable cat. Is there any way to contact him? Does the neighbor know his name, so you could hunt him down?

Old 10-30-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It seems odd that six weeks would pass without the breeder attempting to catch his valuable cat. Is there any way to contact him? Does the neighbor know his name, so you could hunt him down?
The owner left longer than 6 weeks ago, that was just when I first saw the cat. Its almost impossible to see as it will only approach us from behind. You turn around and its standing there watching you. Even now, if it walks away, in seconds you cant see it unless you follow it with your eyes constantly. Not once has it approached us from the front. As for the owner, they didn't leave any contact info according to the neighbor, didn't post any signs or come around to ask if anyone had seen the cat. When it comes to value, I see it as a cat, all are valuable. If it was that valuable to the owner, they should have taken better care. It is a small neighborhood, wouldn't take much to have put out a mailer or made the rounds asking.

As far as I'm concerned, it has a new home if it likes it here.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,739,402 times
Lucky!! Hopefully, the cat will begin to trust you more and you can get him/her to the vet and maybe have him/her as a housecat. Do you think he/she will get along with your other cats? I would love to have a savannah!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:22 PM

14,377 posts, read 11,783,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
When it comes to value, I see it as a cat, all are valuable. If it was that valuable to the owner, they should have taken better care.
Oh, I agree with you! But from a breeder's point of view, cats represent $$$. Perhaps this cat was not considered "breeding quality" and is already neutered. Otherwise, it makes no sense that it was left behind.

I'm glad you are looking out for this cat. I hope you are able to gain its confidence.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:24 PM

It's a female and appears to be maybe a year and few months old. She has the long hind legs but is heavy through the body, not fat mind you, but very muscular. She doesn't have the really tall ears although they are taller than most. Ringed tail, body is a sable brown with really nice symmetrical spotting. Her jumping abilities are phenomenal. I watched her clear our fence by just jumping nearly vertical then drop down on our side, its an 8 footer. A new joy around here.

Ive been handling her more often lately and now she flops down and does the back and forth roll. Just make us smile.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:35 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,940,706 times
How very sad that the breeder didn't leave his/her contact information with any neighbors. but, ti sounds like she's making progress and is in good hands. I hope you can soon get her to the vet. If she's that young, she may not be spayed.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:14 PM

Well this week will be vet visit week. Since the Savanah is now very friendly and lets me pick her up but not hold very long I can get her into a transporter. Every time I see her it seems she has gotten bigger. She is still very sneaky, always showing up behind you and not making a sound.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:53 PM

As it turns out, she is neutered, no chip but has one now. Weight is right at 28 pounds and vet said she still has some to grow. Not sure how he knows that but this vet takes care of other exotic breeds of animals. Yesterday a dog walked past the house ( about 30 yards from where we were). She didn't make a sound until she slinked in the other direction and then let out a short very low pitched yeowl I've never heard from any cat I've had before. Sent a chill up my spine. I've had cats most of my life, nothing like this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats