Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:14 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
You're a good person tighwad! Who can watch a cat go hungry, feral or not. It's not like you're feeding a gator or raccoon. I would definitely look into a TNR as suggested above so the numbers can hopefully go down one day.
This is why I'm so torn about feeding them. I can't afford TNR nor do I have the physical ability to catch them to take them to the county pound. There are no animal control people in my tiny town so I'm left with killing them myself (not gonna happen by my hand! ) or letting nature cull out the weak ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 01:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
See, that is why I don't believe in feeding stray or feral cats. They need to survive on their own. When you feed them, that keeps them going, ill as they are...and they can still breed. And then, if you go out of town, or whatever...you have those cats depending on the food you provide...

Old 12-07-2011, 03:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
See, that is why I don't believe in feeding stray or feral cats. They need to survive on their own. When you feed them, that keeps them going, ill as they are...and they can still breed. And then, if you go out of town, or whatever...you have those cats depending on the food you provide...
As I said, I'm one of two people feeding them.

I don't worry about it one bit..........

Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Responsible care of a cat involves many things. The most important are:
1. Providing Food
2. Providing Shelter
3. Providing medical care when needed
4. Providing safety from harm

Only giving it food while ignoring the others is just as abusive as doing nothing. As a matter of fact its worst because its being done for the feel good effect that ignores the real problem and need of the animal. Can you imagine the outcry if a person owned a cat and just feed it on their door step but provided no shelter, medical care, or protection? People would have a fit! So what is the real difference in just feeding ferals but turning your back on the other important needs of that anaimal?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
My Mom feeds ferals, and it drives me crazy. But, like some subjects in families, it is better to just not discuss it. I have driven her around to her "colonies" on her feeding days. She also shares this with other people who do this work. I don't do it, but if others feel like it is something they want to do, that is up to them.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:46 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
(rant)
We has some feral cats move in the abandoned house next door that are now are neighborhood pets of a sort.

While no one owns them at least two of us feed them once a day. I am one of those that feeds them. Yeah,yeah I know yer not supposed to feed strays but in this case with winter coming on I simply don't have the heart to let them starve or freeze to death. Their life is hard enough just being strays so I figure a little food can't hurt them and might help them survive the winter to move on somewhere else (who am I kidding here? Food+shelter equals home).

Be that as it may I simply can't , in good conscience, not feed them to help them though the winter.

End of rant, thanks
If it's possible, try to at least trap them and get them neutered, if they are hard stray let them go again. Otherwise they will eventually breed up more cats than you can handle. Just mastering the obvious.

The whole T-N-R movement is out there with advice, etc. if you reach out to them.

Unfortunately many strays are just abandoned pets. We keep 5 cats that "found" us, all are neutered (4 by us) males.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
many vets participate in TNR programs, if the cats can be brought in, it might be done at no charge (or vastly reduced). Animal Control may not have the money to pay vet costs, but they may be able to help with the trapping and transport - or work with you. Couldn't hurt to inquire with a couple of vets. I know my vet does some TNR work.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:45 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
The folks I know that feed ferals also trap them and get them sterilized. When they are sterilized, the vet also cuts off the tip of an ear so that others will know that they have been spayed or neutered.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Maybe you could also trap, neuter, and release (TNR) to keep the cats from multiplying. This website has a search bar to find a TNR in your area. It is usually free or low cost. The cat's ear will be clipped, so everyone will know s/he has been spayed or neutered.

Feral Cat Coalition
Yes! This is what I would do.

I've posted here before about my late brother and his wife who have a feral cat "sanctuary" of sorts at their home. They have a feeding station and warm places for them to sleep and whenever a new one shows up, it gets trapped and taken to the vet for spay/neuter, then brought back and released. Some become tame enough to come into the house; the ones who don't have access to food and a safe and warm place to sleep.

I was feeding a couple of cats last year but they don't appear to be around anymore, possibly run off by my own cats and/or dogs.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
I was feeding a couple of cats last year but they don't appear to be around anymore, possibly run off by my own cats and/or dogs.
Or died from injuries on the side of the road after getting hit by a car,
ripped to shreads while alive by another animal,
died from a horrible prolomg disease,
died from torture at the hands of some kids,
suffed for some time from a injury,
fell into a hole it couldn;t get out of and died of starvation, exposure or dehydration,
or..... hopefully humainly euthanized before it could suffer any dozen of horrible faith because nobody cared enough to provide a home for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats