Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 01:50 PM

994 posts, read 1,542,028 times

Advertisements

We noticed last nigh that one of our cat's front fangs is loose and the gums surrounding it are swollen and raw looking. I took her to the vet today, and it was diagnosed as FORL. The vet says the tooth must be extracted; today, she was given a dose of injected antibiotics.

Does anyone have experience with FORL?

The cost for the extraction will be $500+!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 02:13 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,995,881 times
My older cat had his front canine extracted, but I don't know if it was needed because of FORL. I don't think so. However, it was expensive because it was a canine and more deep-rooted than some of the other teeth.

Curious if the vet showed you the x-ray?

Old 12-02-2014, 03:08 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,937,018 times
Yep, my cat has had teeth extracted twice for this. $500 is less than what I paid both times, but there were some other services involved on the second one. Apparently some cats are more susceptible than others. The most recent one was about 2 months ago. After the surgery, the vet gave me some syringes with pain meds and some antibiotics to administer for 10 days. He definitely seems happier although I didn't notice how unhappy he was until he recovered. It's a good thing you noticed it - they can't tell us these things!

Old 12-02-2014, 03:14 PM

994 posts, read 1,542,028 times
Mawipafl - No X-ray was taken; she diagnosed it on sight. Don't know if that's good or bad, perhaps the latter, huh?

Moonlady, I already paid $110+ today for the examination and an injection of antibiotics.

Does FORL progress to other teeth by default? My vet said usually if a cat has one, they will currently or later have additional affected teeth.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:52 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,600,711 times
My boy who is now an angel had FORL, and lost a tooth or two just about every year of his life from the time he was 6 years old (by extraction at the vet). It's an extremely painful condition, which is why the vet probably doesn't want to wait.

What is the breakdown on that $500?

Your cat should have blood work before the procedure, I always insist on a full superchem, that may be part of the expense?

Also included is probably the anesthesia, prophylaxis (cleaning of the teeth and under the gums) an estimate on the possibility more teeth may need to be extracted, x rays (to determine if any more responsive lesions are starting), IV fluids during the whole procedure, and pain medication for afterwards. (do not accept metacam. Buprenex is safe and effective)

Last time I did any reading on FORL, there was still no known cause of this disease, or any way to predict it or prevent it.

$110 for an exam and an antibiotic shot makes me think you must be in a pretty expensive area. Insist on the blood work and the IV fluids. No surgery with general anesthesia should be done without it.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:30 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,000,033 times
Hmmmmm... perhaps.

I have Lily's bill in front of me. She had 4 teeth removed last summer. The actual cost for extraction was $120. It was all the other stuff which added up. Total bill was $735.57. I had her full lab work done before...which was $140.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:12 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,600,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
My boy who is now an angel had FORL, and lost a tooth or two just about every year of his life from the time he was 6 years old (by extraction at the vet). It's an extremely painful condition, which is why the vet probably doesn't want to wait.

What is the breakdown on that $500?

Your cat should have blood work before the procedure, I always insist on a full superchem, that may be part of the expense?

Also included is probably the anesthesia, prophylaxis (cleaning of the teeth and under the gums) an estimate on the possibility more teeth may need to be extracted, x rays (to determine if any more responsive lesions are starting), IV fluids during the whole procedure, and pain medication for afterwards. (do not accept metacam. Buprenex is safe and effective)

Last time I did any reading on FORL, there was still no known cause of this disease, or any way to predict it or prevent it.

$110 for an exam and an antibiotic shot makes me think you must be in a pretty expensive area. Insist on the blood work and the IV fluids. No surgery with general anesthesia should be done without it.
That should say resorptive lesions. Stupid spell check!

Old 12-03-2014, 07:06 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,995,881 times
hautemomma ...

I'm not positive about x-rays and if they are mandatory to properly diagnose FORL, but when I quickly researched online, that's what I kept seeing. However, a vet who's familiar may be able to visually see the condition and recognize it (therefore why bother with the radiation exposure and the cost perhaps). But if it's FORL and it's a condition that can affect (or unknowingly already be affecting) other teeth, I would hope that while your kitty is under for the extraction some x-rays are taken to see what's going on elsewhere with other teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats