Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:00 PM

4,060 posts, read 2,137,280 times

Advertisements

Y'all were so great on Tang's euthanasia thread, that I thought I would ask for your help in choosing a new kitty. I know it's a very personal decision, but would like your thoughts. I have no preference between female or female or color (y'all helped me on that). Or type of cat. Want one about 9 months to two years. I'd like a friendly cat, which I define as greeting me at the door, cuddling on my lap or next to me at times, looking at me, showing interest in me. And a little playful. Possibilities so far:

Pixie. Female. A year and nine months old. Tiny---6 pounds. Front declawed. Living in a foster home. Doesn't get along with other cats (we are okay with one cat). Supposedly will be friendly and cuddly after she gets to know us. Big disadvantage: she eats everything in sight---and I like to cook! So it could be that I couldn't leave anything on a kitchen counter. Her foster mom says she has grabbed and eaten chocolate, bread, beef.

Jackie. Female. A year and a half old. Sweet, a little shy, docile, willing to sit on our lap once we placed her there.

Ty. Male. A year old. Came right up to us in the free roam cat room. Sat in our lap. Playful. Showed interest in us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Y'all were so great on Tang's euthanasia thread, that I thought I would ask for your help in choosing a new kitty. I know it's a very personal decision, but would like your thoughts. I have no preference between female or female or color (y'all helped me on that). Or type of cat. Want one about 9 months to two years. I'd like a friendly cat, which I define as greeting me at the door, cuddling on my lap or next to me at times, looking at me, showing interest in me. And a little playful. Possibilities so far:

Pixie. Female. A year and nine months old. Tiny---6 pounds. Front declawed. Living in a foster home. Doesn't get along with other cats (we are okay with one cat). Supposedly will be friendly and cuddly after she gets to know us. Big disadvantage: she eats everything in sight---and I like to cook! So it could be that I couldn't leave anything on a kitchen counter. Her foster mom says she has grabbed and eaten chocolate, bread, beef.

Jackie. Female. A year and a half old. Sweet, a little shy, docile, willing to sit on our lap once we placed her there.

Ty. Male. A year old. Came right up to us in the free roam cat room. Sat in our lap. Playful. Showed interest in us.
Ty is yours already. He is the one that has chosen you.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:40 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
Ty sounds like he wants to be your kitty and may be happy if you should choose to adopt another friend too.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
I usually advise that the cat Chooses.

If you'll forgive me for again adding my own stories to your thread :

Seven years ago I wanted a kitten, to play with my 5 year old cat, because the two girls who raised him were getting too old to do the kind of romping he still wanted and needed. I put in my application at the shelter and got approved, and then haunted the shelter for months, but oddly, there were no kittens. The adult cats, lifers all, were wonderful but I wanted a lively kitten.

I skipped going during December and most of January. Finally I went back at the end of January. As I went in I was met by the shelter manager, she was all happy for me because they had a whole bunch of kittens. Indeed there were 12, of every imaginable pattern and color, both sexes, running around, all between the ages of 6 and 10 weeks.

As I stood there watching them play I heard a "prrrt?". I turned toward the sound to see a beautiful young adult classic brown tabby staring at me. Our eyes met and I said "Oh! You're (her name)!" She said "prrt!" again, agreeing with me. I read her sign and it said her name was "Trinity" (it wasn't, she told me her real name, when our eyes met) and that she was a stray picked up and brought in 4 months ago, had been on the adoptable list for about as long as it had been since I was last there.

I slid open the little window in the cage and stuck my hand in (dumb I know) and she slashed at me with teeth and claws. But her eyes never left mine and I knew I had been Chosen.

The shelter manager came in then and I told her. She just about burst into tears she was so happy. No one wanted "Trinity" because she was unsocialized. Not feral, but clearly very mistrustful of humans. Anyone drawn to her beauty was put off by her waving of teeth and claws. She was, of course, waiting for me.

I assured the manager that I could socialize her, that there wasn't a doubt in my mind that we were meant for each other, that she had Chosen me.

It's not so rare, for it to happen like that, if you just give it time. When you meet the right one(s), you'll know it. Perhaps a bonded pair........?

(PS...my new girl was playing with my boy by the day after she came home. It did take about three years and many tears to socialize her to living with me, but she never had a second's problem with the other cats. And it was all worth it, she is really really sweet now, as long as I respect her boundaries.)

Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 PM

575 posts, read 1,996,787 times
Well, I always like to say never discount the shy ones. Many times they have just had a rough road and they are slow to trust but become strongly bonded in time to those they deem worthy. You will get out of Jackie what you are willing to put into her.

As for Pixie - sounds like she'll keep you on your toes. The food thing wouldn't put me off as much as the other cat aggressive thing. I have two that eat anything and everything. They stalk me like a dog! And they actually get INTO my kitchen cabinets much less eat what's left on them. We have not choice but to share dinner I don't mind - I'd miss it.

Ty sounds perfect and will find a home with you or anyone else that comes looking around. Quite sociable and well adjusted. Males do tend to be more cuddly - though my girls do like to be pet and loved it does tend to be more on their terms than on mine. Most males are bigger love buckets.

I think that if you ever really think you may entertain the ideal of a new cat then Ty is your man. Though I do have to make the point to say my shy girl really started to come around when we became a multi cat home. She learned how to be a cat from the others.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 PM

Thanks, all. And Cat'sMom, you may "hijack" any thread of mine because you have such interesting stories and thoughts to share.

You all have confirmed what I was thinking/feeling---that Ty has chosen us and probably is our guy. My only concern is that he has lived in the free cat roam center for many months----do you think he would be okay leaving it? I would think that what I have to offer in my home is much better than a roam where he has very limited human contact (but does have about ten other cats to be with), but I'm thinking this as a human. Could he prefer this home even though it's not really a home? (He is no danger of getting euthanized.) I do think he could be a perfect buddy. I like when a cat reciprocates interest and affection (not expecting the level of a dog).

KittyMom, I'm fine with the aggressive cat thing since I'm happy just to have one cat. This way I wouldn't feel guilty not having two. But the food thing is a little scary. We like to cook and will sometimes start to prep dinner and then leave it for an hour or so on the stove or kitchen counter---sounds like I wouldn't be able to do this with Pixie around. And I think some food items that humans eat may be lethal to cats. Pixie's foster mom said she will even attempt to eat the feather on her feather wand toy, so it can't ever be left out! Is this really normal behavior for a cat? I thought they were finicky! Tang ate a lot, but was never interested in people food (just wanted his dry kibble, not even wet). Could she have a disease that causes this incredible, insatiable appetite?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Ty....your cat chooses you. He greeted you, showed interest, and climbed in your lap. Done deal. Take him home. Pictures???

Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Glad you asked, Jan! This is his adoption photo. He is still a young cat, but in this photo, he was about half as young and half as big as he is now:

Adopt a Pet :: Ty - Suwanee, GA - Domestic Mediumhair

He is not the most gorgeous cat I've seen in my search, although I find his looks cute enough. It is truly the way he related to me. I want to give a cat a good home, but I don't want to be treated just as a human can opener! I want a reciprocated relationship, albeit on the cat's terms...

Old 01-08-2012, 09:17 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
yep, I usually prefer to pick a cat that has chosen me (although when getting rescues form the vet, there often wasn't much choosing opportunity! they didn't have many at any one time). When we got our first Wegie, the breeder had 3 litters in the kitten room. I figured on letting the kitten decide. we hung out for at least an hour. One or two kittens actually hissed and ran off, many were unconcerned, but one little boy (the youngest) spent nearly the entire time climbing all over me and then onto DH. We figured he had chosen us, and he's been wonderful ever since.

So, I agreee: sounds like Ty has chosen you and seems to match what you're looking for. funny how cats know that and what a cutie! looks like he got caught sipping the cream! lol

Old 01-08-2012, 09:38 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
But the food thing is a little scary. We like to cook and will sometimes start to prep dinner and then leave it for an hour or so on the stove or kitchen counter---sounds like I wouldn't be able to do this with Pixie around. And I think some food items that humans eat may be lethal to cats. Pixie's foster mom said she will even attempt to eat the feather on her feather wand toy, so it can't ever be left out! Is this really normal behavior for a cat?
Some humans have this trait too. It's called "pica." When Weasie was brought to live with me she arrived with her brother, who - sad to say - vanished forever only three months later. He had pica without a doubt, though it didn't extend to grabbing human food from counters. A philodendron I'd kept for eleven years, which had flourished, was chewed to death by him in a matter of days. He would jump into the bathtub to shred and gnaw the shower curtain liner. I'm sure this can be unlearned through patient, and probably aversive, techniques. Had there been the opportunity I would've done this with the feline omnivore. I wouldn't not adopt Pixie (who you could rename "Pica-see" ) on that basis. But I agree with other respondents here that it looks like Ty is the most obvious match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats