Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,926 times

Advertisements

Should I be feeding my 2lb 3oz 9.5 week old kitten? He is loving it and seems to always want more. It's ground chicken thighs with bone and some supplement powder.

I honestly have no clue how much to feed him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:20 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
I can't advise on raw (except I hope you understand the balances needed) but in general a growing kitten should be fed as often and as much as he will eat. His tummy is small so he needs small meals frequently.

Feed his meals in small portions, and keep giving him the small portions until he walks away.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:35 PM

575 posts, read 1,997,023 times
For growing puppies or kitties your feed 4-6% of body weight. You'll have to determine what seems to satisfy your little one without going overboard - the ration may change. Obviously you are going to have to maintain a proper weight chart on your kitten which is something you should be doing anyway. Go get a good baby scale and it will serve you through your cats whole life A once a year weigh in is not adequate. I weigh my adult cats monthly (or more) and I can notice eating changes and possible health changes very quickly this way.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 PM

It's frustrating because I'm trying to research online and 1 website says 1% bodyweight the next says 8% bodyweight. And then a bunch say as much as they'll take. But his belly is looking a bit bloated right now! Maybe I'll just ask the vet to be safe.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM

575 posts, read 1,997,023 times
1% is FAR to low! OMG!! 8% is more accurate for growing young kittens, but at 9 weeks I wouldn't really consider him a young kitten. And as said by another poster, you don't want to feed that all at once, spread it out into three meals possibly even four. For a kitten, it's hard for them to go all night with no food. If it were me (and soon it will be) I would be inclined to feed about 70-80% of the day's meal in divided into breakfast, lunch, dinner as raw or whatever you are doing. Then leave some canned that he can snack on at night left out for him. You can't leave raw out all night - Some people say 30 min only, I tend to leave mine out a bit longer - I draw the line in the 2hr range. I leave meat for myself out on the counter for an hour or so to reach room temp before cooking it so I don't see where 2hrs for them to eat is a big deal.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,887 times
I had no idea it was safe to feed raw chicken to kittens. I have learned something. Since a fair amount of raw chicken has salmonella, I just assumed that would be dangerous to cats?

Are their little systems able to handle it? Just curious

Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
since Purina is recalling cat food because of salmonella, I'd say that says right there that cats CAN get it! Vetmed says " The severity of salmonellosis in dogs and cats varies: subclinical carrier state (most common); acute enterocolitis; fever, anorexia, lethargy; diarrhea, possibly with mucus or blood; abdominal pain (infection is often associated with mesenteric lymphadenitis); Cats may present with prolonged periods of fever and anorexia without diarrhea.
septicemia/endotoxemia
Salmonellosis in cats has also been caused "song bird fever," reflecting association with predation on infected migratory birds. "

PetMD also has a page on it and says that kittens and older cats are most at risk.

I dunno... I just wouldn't take a chance with raw eggs or raw chickens.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,604,392 times
Like with any food the risk is mitigated significantly by where the chicken is coming from. I would not feed discount, run of the mill chicken raw. But I would certainly feed organic chicken from the farmer's market raw. When I can actually talk to the farmer about his/her methods, I feel that I can trust that the food I'm buying is the best, most nutritious specimen of chicken or whatever it is.

Sidenote: With regard to farming, the books Animal Vegetable Miracle and Fast Food Nation changed my life!

Also I don't know about you, but my cats have eaten many an insect/rodent and I don't find them in the kitchen frying it up afterwards! Amazingly they lived to tell the tale!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:18 AM

I too had no idea cats could eat raw until I started doing research. Cats stomachs are much tougher than humans. Just think what they would be eating if they were on their own in the wild? Raw meat from Birds, rabbits, mice etc...They don't just look for kibble when they were roaming the plains before dry food was invented.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:21 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
ALL chicken has a moderate - high incidence of salmonella in it.
The kittens should not be given raw chicken ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats