Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 PM

18,103 posts, read 15,676,604 times

Advertisements

Really trying hard to get my cat to eat more wet food. After several trial runs of various wet foods over a long time, recently discovered she loved Weruva's Paw Lickin' Chicken. She ate the first case during the last month or so, and only a couple times turned up her nose, but overall no real problem and I didn't waste too much of it. Yes, she still gets some kibble (non grain), but just 1/4 cup a day.

Now we're on the second case of Weruva. Same flavor.

She's pulling her finicky routine. Doesn't want it or only wants a few bites. Wants her kibble.

She is healthy, eliminating normally, feisty, well hydrated and well nourished.

She is just so friggin' stubborn and oppositional!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 PM

157 posts, read 587,593 times
when kitties are fed both, its been my experience they'll always prefer the kibble, like us preferring junk food over vegetables....by holding out they know they'll win and get the kibble. If you're going to keep your kitty eating the wet you'll have to permanently d/c the dry or this will be a continuing battle.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:30 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
Having exact issue. I began it due to a need to fatten her up from Hyperthyroidism & know regret it, as I need to cease dry & go back to ALL wet. It ain't easy.

But I'll do it & she'll be mad but will get over it.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 AM

Yes it's an ongoing battle because she is sooooo stubborn. And spoiled. And bossy. And did I mention stubborn?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 AM

41,962 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I came home the other day with some cans of Blue Buffalo: grain free, not the pate (we don't do pate). I put a plate of turkey something or another down, and those crazy cats actually fought over it, each one shoving the other's snout away from the bowl. They gobbled up 90 percent of it within minutes.

I thought: Wow! Finally something they like!

Put the same thing down for them the next day, and they didn't touch it.

*sigh*

Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 AM

LOL Ohiogirl!

THAT is what my finicky girl does. She LOVES something one day and then the next... not acceptable. It's got to be some conspiracy to drive us humans crazy. Something CIA-related?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Just the way it works sometimes. Amber is currently eating stuff that I could swear she got less interested in last year. And how long it will last, and what else I can mix in, I don't really know. I tried an additional food in the mix this morning, in fact, we'll see what she does.

The kibble may or may not be a factor. Sometimes it is. I know if it's something Amber really doesn't like, she does let it go, and she does expect a bowl of kibble (1/4 cup) in the evening. But she often has been draining her entire portion of morning wet food even with that so it's not impossible to have a cat eat canned food even when dry is around.

If you can find a bottle of Halo Dinner Party which is a powder to sprinkle on the food, that might be worth trying. This had been an ingredient in Amber's bowl for a month or so. Not sure how much of the effect is this and how much is the food. Certainly if she really doesn't like the food, just adding this powder doesn't get her to eat it.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Jasper was like this...I got him when he was 2, who knows what he ate before? I have been feeding him wet food, and found he likes the type with gravy the best. I add about half again as much warm water to the food, to make a slurry, or more gravy. I was surprised, last night, he ate almost all of the wet food. It has taken about two years for this change. Before, he would just sample it, and blow it off. He likes Soulistic pouches. Chicken with pumpkin is his fav.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:13 AM

Soulistic is made by the Weruva folks and sold to Petco. I have 22 cans of Weruva Paw Lickin' chicken (case #2) and I am not going to waste it. This stubborn cat 'o mine insisted and insisted loudly that she LOVED LOVED LOVED Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken. I even would occasioanlly add some additional water to the already very wet shredded chicken and that was no problemo.

Well...she insisted she loved the food...until a few days ago when she changed her finicky little mind. She'll still take several bites from a freshly opened can IF she's in the right mood.

I also had a can of Evo 95% chicken/turkey so I opened that. Nope. Meow! "Unacceptable!" she said.

Spoiled, insolent, stubborn cat.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
well, Henry likes a number of different foods - or I could say he doesn't like them. it depends on the day. From what I can tell, he just doesn't want the same thing too close together in feedings! So we have a big variety and space it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats