Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 12:44 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,757 times

Advertisements

I am still worried about Maxwell, even though he is doing exactly what the vet said would likely happen.

He vomited on Tuesday, Wed, and Thursday. On Wed, as it was the 2nd day in a row, I called my vet. They had me describe the vomit (a combination of food and hair, sorry for the gross out) and said that if he stops in the next day or so, it was likely an upset stomach, maybe he ate something that he did not agree with, etc.

Well, I took their advice even though part of me was convinced he was dying. He did not vomit Fri or Sat...as of yet. He has been acting normally and eating normally this whole time, as well.

Should I just be doing my best to stop worrying and listening to the vet? I do trust the vet, I am just worried....

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 03:01 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
I have no idea what was happening before this but I hope your Maxwell gets to feeling better.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:07 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,004,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I am still worried about Maxwell, even though he is doing exactly what the vet said would likely happen.

He vomited on Tuesday, Wed, and Thursday. On Wed, as it was the 2nd day in a row, I called my vet. They had me describe the vomit (a combination of food and hair, sorry for the gross out)....
Hair? In my years at the Animal Hosp we saw several cats with hairballs large enough to block the intestines. They stopped eating, vomited and stopped passing feces (naturally). One had surgery and the hairball, an elongated glob, looked like a small rat. The cat could not pass it through the intestine. The car recovered quickly.

I have natural grass growing in a large flowerbox for my cat to consume as needed. It tangles with the hair they swallow and leaves from one end or the other. There are never guarantees but I've never had a cat need to see the vet for a blockage either.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:44 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,757 times
Thanks. He seems totally fine today, although other than the daily vomiting he seemed fine before.

Just wanted to see if anyone here had any advice/thoughts or if it seemed funny what the vet said.

And he has been eating fine this whole time, which is what made it weird.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,464,038 times
Glad to hear Maxwell is better but if he still feels queasy, you might like to try fasting him on Super Nutritious Chicken Soup/Broth/Aspic and/or giving him Slippery Elm.

My cat was pretty violently ill for a day recently. Beginning in the late morning and finally stopping the next day. It scared me because after he got rid of his food he'd drool constantly and even foam at the mouth. He vomited a bunch of clear foam and liquid.

I gave him Colloidal Silver and he calmed down enough to go to sleep. Then very late at night he started drooling a bit and I gave him a little chicken broth/aspic (as per Anitra Frazier's book) mixed in with the Slippery Elm Syrup she tells you how to make in the book (1/2 cup water; 3/4 t. Slippery Elm Bark powder mixed in; simmered for a few mins while stirring into a syrup.) It keeps for a week or so. Give the cat a teaspoon or so with or before meals for any digestive problem.
He kept that down and the drooling stopped.

The Slippery Elm I think did the trick. I gave him the Super Nutritious Chicken Broth with Slippery Elm syrup for a day while he recovered and to give his tummy a rest and then gradually gave him a little food working up to the usual amount the 3rd or 4th day. The Slippery Elm syrup works like a charm. He's still getting it mixed in to his regular food.

I love Slippery Elm. Every time I need it to come through for me, it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats