Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:19 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times

Advertisements

One of our cats gets cold easily (especially indoors at night) and I was thinking of getting him a heated cat bed but he kneads his bedding quite vigorously so wondering if it would be risky. He has very large paws. Tried using one of the microwavable gel packs for pets but he made a hole in it and it leaked. Ideas?

Last edited by Townandcountrygal; 11-07-2012 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: need to add additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 11:54 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Get the "self warming" type of bed, or simply make your own by lining his beds with space blanket reflective material:

These:

Space All-Weather Blanket at REI.com

I make self warming beds for cats, and put a liner of these space blankets inside. My cats, and the cats I have gifted them to, LOVE them.

Make sure the reflective side is facing up, of course.

PS The blankets are quite large, and can be cut up to put sections under multiple beds.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
If you go on Amazon you can get the K&H heating pads for pets (they don't get too warm) and put them into any pet bed you already have as long as it has a zipper. If you sew then you can make one yourself. If you are worried then I would think this would be a better option for you Get some more durable material at the fabric store and some foam to put inside.

My petbed from K&H is decent enough but I am not thrilled to death with it - I wish I would have found a nice bed and then just added a pad to it. But the mat style bed does have foam padding liner inside of it (instead of fluff) so It's got to be safe to use. It's light grey instead of typical yellow FYI so I don't know if there are different types or "heat safe" but that should get you started. A quick google search should help you out..

Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 PM

I think it's the thought of claws poking wires that the OP is worrying about, not if it gets too hot. I wouldn't use a bed that has wires running through it for a cat who kneads on his bed. Too risky.

The reflective blanket works extremely well. Or of course you can buy self warming beds, but I think using the material would save you some money. Plus you don't have to worry about turning it off/unplugging it when you leave the house.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:35 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Yeah - I got the point - there are really no "wires" in one of the heated pet beds. It's a heat pad that gets inserted. My point was the fabric they are made with isn't very durable and maybe the OP could make one if they are handy out of a more durable fabric.

I have some friends that use Sunbeam heated throws or blankets for their cats. I wouldn't do this personally because I have pretty rough cats and those blankets DO have little wires that run all throughout them.

As far as the turning on and off - I have two types of beds - one that does have to be plugged in and unplugged whenever you want it on but I put in on a lamp timer. The other bed stays on all the time at an "ambient temp" then it heats up a bit more when someone is laying on it.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times
Default your problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
One of our cats gets cold easily (especially indoors at night) and I was thinking of getting him a heated cat bed but he kneads his bedding quite vigorously so wondering if it would be risky. He has very large paws. Tried using one of the microwavable gel packs for pets but he made a hole in it and it leaked. Ideas?
Oh,I have the solution for you on that one! Allied Precision makes this wonderful insert, very safe, cat can kneed the bed to death, and you also don't have to spend a fortune replacing your heated cat beds. I have something like 8 of these pet bed warmers and they are the best thing since sliced bread. I leave mine on all 24/7 during the cooler and cold months of the year. You can place anything on top: rectangular cat beds, round ones, folder towels foam cat beds,etc. and I even have one, kept for months at a time, right on my nice antique walnut dresser with a cat bed on top, and the wood is not damaged or affected and it is perfectly safe, such low voltage.

My cats love them and it's like placing the cat on a radiator cover except that you don't have to <g>.

They are hard pliable vinyl/plastic/rubbery material and the wires are deeply embeded and no cat is ever going to touch the wires, impossible:

I actually wrote a review on this product: my name given is "Markey NYC"

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...vYSZvrMCFUKd4A

Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Oh,I have the solution for you on that one! Allied Precision makes this wonderful insert, very safe, cat can kneed the bed to death, and you also don't have to spend a fortune replacing your heated cat beds. I have something like 8 of these pet bed warmers and they are the best thing since sliced bread. I leave mine on all 24/7 during the cooler and cold months of the year. You can place anything on top: rectangular cat beds, round ones, folder towels foam cat beds,etc. and I even have one, kept for months at a time, right on my nice antique walnut dresser with a cat bed on top, and the wood is not damaged or affected and it is perfectly safe, such low voltage.

My cats love them and it's like placing the cat on a radiator cover except that you don't have to <g>.

They are hard pliable vinyl/plastic/rubbery material and the wires are deeply embeded and no cat is ever going to touch the wires, impossible:

I actually wrote a review on this product: my name given is "Markey NYC"

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...vYSZvrMCFUKd4A
Thank you for the link. Hadn't even looked at this type of heater before and it deserves serious consideration! Was going to buy a K&H Thermo Heate Kitty Mat or PetSafe Small Cat Heated Pet Pad for Miss Kitty who doesn't like beds with sides and then one with sides or even a heated sack type for Chester who gets cold easily and likes to be covered so I need to do more thinking. Sounds like lower voltage is safest.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Get the "self warming" type of bed, or simply make your own by lining his beds with space blanket reflective material:

These:

Space All-Weather Blanket at REI.com

I make self warming beds for cats, and put a liner of these space blankets inside. My cats, and the cats I have gifted them to, LOVE them.

Make sure the reflective side is facing up, of course.

PS The blankets are quite large, and can be cut up to put sections under multiple beds.

I like the idea of reflective material beds to supplement the heated beads especially as my dog and two cat tend to follow me from room to room during the day.. Would online fabric stores sell the reflective material?

Old 11-11-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
I like the idea of reflective material beds to supplement the heated beads especially as my dog and two cat tend to follow me from room to room during the day.. Would online fabric stores sell the reflective material?
I don't know. I just buy the blankets at REI. They are very large and cut up nicely. I make the beds from the cheap fleece blankets that are always for sale this time of year;

They look like this (all these beds are lined with the reflective blankets)

Old 11-11-2012, 09:42 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I have had cats who knead...on electric blankets...no one got electrocuted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats