Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times

Advertisements

The vet treated Callie with Revolution for her fleas. That was Monday morning. The question is, how long before Revolution kills the fleas? We don't want her to stay alone out in the RV any longer. We want to start introducing her to the other three kitties but don't want to bring fleas in. We're going to set her up in the old home office so they can meet safely from under the door for starters. We didn't have products like Revolution when I worked in the Animal Hosp.

Your opinions from your experiences please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 AM

585 posts, read 2,015,828 times
How bad were they?

I know with Advantage they're generally gone within a day, my senior got fleas for the first time in her life at our old house in Maryland and it was really out of control. I treated her (not with Advantage, flea bath, religious cleaning and constant combings), we moved to a new apartment with all hardwood and she brought them with us. When I brought a kitten in, he got them too but not bad. I treated them both with Advantage and they were gone in a couple days max, I remember being really surprised by how soon it was cleared up.

As far as I understand it, products like that don't work unless the fleas bite so it takes some time but it happened really quick for us. But Revolution is one of the better options and you should start seeing results in 24 - 48 hours.

My latest NYC ACC rescue had fleas too but I only found 1 live one before his flea bath and 4 dead ones after so it wasn't bad at all. Now that he's been treated, I haven't even found any dead ones so I think he is good - and it probably helps that he's in a concrete-floored bathroom and we have hardwood throughout the house. I flea sprayed our rugs and couch just in case any jumped onto my clothes and swapped out his bedding twice just to be safe.

But as you know, it only takes one or two to make a full blown infestation so I'd be very cautious about bringing that into the home... I'd say 72 hours to be safe as long the infestation wasn't too bad. With a bad infestation on one kitty, I'd treat everyone else once just to be safe. I don't treat mine monthly or anything but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea this one time, that way you know for sure it won't be an issue.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:11 PM

I've never used any of these newer products on the market as our last flea infestation was about 15 years ago when we just had 3 dogs. The only product that worked was a GrowthHormoneRegulator. It keeps flea nymphs from turning into fleas. So as the adult fleas die off, the nymphs also die off... and soon, no fleas. The flea collars and sprays and powders and that oily stuff to put on their hips and scruff did nothing. The fleas had almost total resistance if not immunity to the OTC products and what the vets sold back then. To make it worse, we have wall to wall carpeting so that had to be vacuumed daily and sprayed with the GHR weekly. Ivermectin existed back then but not Revolution which is made with a close chemical compound to Ivermectin.

Callie wasn't severely infested. She was treated with Revolution on Monday. We brought her in this afternoon. But my three cats were growling and spitting at her from under the office door. She's in the office for now. We tried putting her in a cage in the sunroom so they could better see each other but the three resident cats sitting there spitting and hissing and growling at her started to stress her out, so we put her back in the office. I hate that she's alone in there but these three want nothing to do with her. Callie is so small and Zeb' is so large and muscular he could kill her without half trying. Both Phaedra and Zephyr would do their hissing but I doubt they'd harm her. I'm not so sure about Zebulon.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:05 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Thing is, even after all the adult fleas are killed the eggs and larvae stuck in her fur/skin are likely to drop off in the house. If you are anxious to get her inside, you might consider treating the other cats too, for a few months. This way any eggs that end up hatching, the fleas will be killed right away, no matter who they jump on. I don't treat for fleas either, but the last two times I brought in rescues (one an adult, in 2007, one a kitten in 2010) I treated all my cats for three or four months, just to be sure.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Thing is, even after all the adult fleas are killed the eggs and larvae stuck in her fur/skin are likely to drop off in the house. If you are anxious to get her inside, you might consider treating the other cats too, for a few months. This way any eggs that end up hatching, the fleas will be killed right away, no matter who they jump on. I don't treat for fleas either, but the last two times I brought in rescues (one an adult, in 2007, one a kitten in 2010) I treated all my cats for three or four months, just to be sure.
Correct. If a person uses Advantage II, the fleas and eggs both are killed.

I'll tell everyone here: Listen to this: I have 7 cats (and 4 foster cats also) and I let my cats go into our attached enclosure out the DR window, sitting on shelves, benches and Yes, the ground where there are fleas! Guess what, folks! I have no flea problems! None, zilch. I use Advantage II and my cats are flea free and my house is, too.

It works <ggg>!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:58 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
You're fine. My new kittykid Charcoal was treated with Revolution at the vets. Brought him home, put him in his kitty townhouse and shut the door. Every time I went in, I'd flea comb him to remove the dead bodies and eggs. After three days, there were no more remains. He's due for his second dose in a couple of day. The third dose in Dec.

I like Revolution because it takes care of roundworms and hookworms and ear mites as well.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
Advantage isn't working me anymore, it's just like putting water on the cats. I give each cat a Capstar pill to kill all the fleas first, and the next day I put Vectra on them. It costs me $17.78 per from the vet, and it works great, but I haven't tried Revolution yet, though.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:37 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
We use Revolution and the fleas are dead usually in two or three days. Give her a couple of good combings to make sure.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I am so angry at the person who dumped Callie. I'm angry at myself for stopping and rescuing her. My husband doesn't think a 4th cat is a good idea due to our traveling, camping and snow-birding. I know he's not happy I brought her home. The vet bill was over $80 Monday and she still needs a booster and to be spayed and chipped. I shudder to think what the bill will be for that next month. We also have to budget now that we're both retired.

I can see we're going to have some problems with Zeb accepting a new cat in the household. As you can probably tell, I'm getting stressed out over this but there is no way I can part with Callie now. She doesn't want to stay in the office alone and is crying. But I fear if Zeb gets ahold of her she will be injured.

Revolution for four cats for three months is outrageous in cost where I live. And what really ticks me off is the 'mectins are one of the cheapest drugs to make. The vet makes a huge profit on this product. The markup makes it one of the most costly drugs out there for parasites. I hope someone can suggest some place I can get this drug online w/out a prescription that's dependable. The vet who owns the animal hospital we use will not allow the vets working there to write prescriptions claiming online places are all selling out of date meds, or meds exposed to heat, diluted drugs etc etc.. The vets want the profit for themselves.

We brought Callie in this afternoon and have our fingers crossed. I'm sure we're going to have a flea infestation soon. There was no way I could sterilize my clothing and shoes after caring for her out in the RV. I did spray myself with DeepWoods-Off but that don't get the eggs. DW-Off will make fleas jump off anything sprayed but all it takes is one flea or a few eggs.

I need to find a no-kill rescue in the Nashville area for these cats and kittens I find or that get dumped out here. So far all that I've found and called (with the one exception, one time) NEVER have space when I called them over the years. They take donations fast enough, just don't expect them to take a kitten or cat found abandoned. They offer to put you on a list. Great, what do you supposed to do with the kitty the months you wait to hear from them? Since they never have space, where are they getting all the cats and kittens they advertise online and put in the pet stores for adoption? I can't help asking myself that question. And yes, I am a little frustrated and angry at the Rescue situation here also. I like to believe they're doing the best they can but where does that leave people like myself who want to help these kitties but there is no place to take them but the kill shelters? One will recommend another and the one recommended will recommend someone else.... and no one has space.

It's almost impossible for me to pass by a cat or kitten that's been abandoned or is in need but I need to find someplace to take them other than the local high kill-shelter. Callie wont be the last I come across but she has to be the last I adopt. The last I take home with me. Four cats has to be the limit, at least for as long as we're traveling and snow-birding.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Correct. If a person uses Advantage II, the fleas and eggs both are killed.
But the eggs laid prior to the treatment will not be killed. They can fall from the kitty and hatch - and soon become adult fleas. That is, unless the house is sprayed with a HormoneGrowthRegulator product.

Quote:
I'll tell everyone here: Listen to this: I have 7 cats (and 4 foster cats also) and I let my cats go into our attached enclosure out the DR window, sitting on shelves, benches and Yes, the ground where there are fleas! Guess what, folks! I have no flea problems! None, zilch. I use Advantage II and my cats are flea free and my house is, too.

It works <ggg>!
I'm going to have to check out one of these cheaper parasite products at PetsMart because Revolution is very expensive. All Wal*Mart carries is Hartz flea products where I live and they're well known to either be useless or make cats sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats