Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:25 AM

1 posts, read 9,635 times

Advertisements

We have a huge problem! Our 17 year old male cat, stays on the bed most of the day and he has started peeing on the bed, about one foot from where he sleeps! He also poops about 10 feet away from the litter boxes.

We are using the same litter as we always have. We have a younger 7 year old kitty but they have separate boxes for 4 years now. In fact we bought a 3rd litter box recently and it did not help.

Anyways, the only other thing we've noticed is that our older cat,used to love wet food... it was all he looked forward to. Now he licks the juice off it at best. He has always been finicky, so we havent' thought much of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Nothing worse than getting ready for bed and finding a HUGE pee spot on the bed. In fact, it's 3:25am and i'm waiting for the bed sheets to be washed.

HELP is much appreciated!

Lots of Thanks,

Adam & Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 08:04 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,019,269 times
I would take him to the vet. He may have a kidney problem. Most geriatric cats end up with kidney, thyroyd probs or cancer.

I had to take my 15 y/o female in a few months ago. She had a slight fever and was dehydrated. All the blood tests came out fine, but the normal kidney range was 14-35. She was 36, but they said that was fine, given her age. But vet recommended giving her strictly senior food, as it has less protein. Older cats don't need as much protein as younger kitties.

She's doing great - especially getting hydrated and being on antibiotics for a few days.

But, please, contact your vet.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 15,520 times
Sometimes when cats do this they have a UTI (urinary tract infection) you may want to consult your Vet it is hard to collect a urine sample from cats but I would empty the litter out of the box and place it in a bathroom along with the cat and keep the door closed along with food and water. I have also seen color changing litter for UTI's. It is interestiong that the cat is licking the moisture off of the wet food. Any teeth issues, given his advanced age??? The best oder control is the one that has the enzyme that kills the odor, poor kitty give him a pat for me. Good Luck, Mary

Old 10-28-2007, 10:00 AM

618 posts, read 1,610,966 times
When cats miss you, like if you aren't home alot, they'll pee wherever they smell your scent.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:33 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
I agree that a visit to the vet is required due to his age and new "habits". Could be vision, UTI, cancer, thyroid or any number of things that none of us are qualified to answer. What is clear is the cat does not feel well and I know that when not feeling well cats can go down fast!

Best of luck!!

Old 10-30-2007, 02:16 PM

292 posts, read 934,234 times
I also agree that you ought to take kitty into the vet. That doesn't sound too good. Hope for the best for kitty!

Old 10-31-2007, 03:20 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,027,584 times
My 5 year old kitty peed on my sofa- I took her to the Vet- they found nothing- it seems she needed to 'mark' her territory because she was smelling outside cats.

She has since stopped- Whew! I did have to replace the sofa-but it was over 15 years old.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:41 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Mine does that when she is mad at me, but I don't think that is your cat's problem. She even pee'd on my son's clothes when I went out of town and he was there to take care of her.

Let us know what the vet said..

Old 11-01-2007, 07:09 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,981 times
When that happened with our cats, we just banned them from the bedroom for a few weeks. Problem solved.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
A trip to the vet is definitely in order.

Have all of the "senior" tests done. Several years ago, my older cat (about age 10, at the time) had an issue with an obstructed urethra, which almost killed him. I've had cats all my life, and never knew this was an issue.

1200 dollars later, my little angel is lounging on the recliner, waiting for the next time I fill the bowl with the low pH food.

My point with this story is....you won't know until you KNOW. Take him to someone who has the knowledge and experience to tell you what is going on.

I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats