Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 02:58 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,800 times

Advertisements

Even on a leash, to jump around, eat a bug they catch, smell the outdoors, just what has been created and their life isn't much better than a zoo. When I see a cat that never goes outside, I wonder just what it does all day in, day out. It looks out of the windows and thinks what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 03:02 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
We have two cats and our older girl has no interest in the outside but our younger girl goes outside everyday, sometimes for a few minutes and other times for a few hours.
Our indoor girl runs around, looks out of the windows, goes and catches mice in the basement, chases and catches bugs that get into the house, walks on the dog and sleeps.
Our indoor/outdoor girl does the same thing except she goes outside and snoops around the timber a little.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:18 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
My oldest cat goes outside either on a light tether when I'm outside with her, or a crate by herself. Otherwise, she's in the house. Before we started that arrangement, she used to try to sneak out when we opened the door. After she started getting her limited outside time, she stopped. Cats are pretty darn good at slipping past people, and she knows she could get out there if she tried, but she doesn't. My two others never go outside. They never try to, either. They do sneak into our attached garage sometimes when we're coming in or out, so they also know they could get through the front door if they tried. Since they never do, I have to assume they're happy. They have toys, lots of cozy spots to hang out, window access (which they use a little but not that much), humans that play with them, pet them, and feed them good food. If there's such a thing as reincarnation, I'd come back as a cat with a life like theirs if I could.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
of the 6 cats I live with. 2 you couldn't stop form going outside...(we tried) 1 likes to go outside to use the bathroom but you better be waiting at the dor to let him back in once hes done...and 3 wouldn't go outside if you tried to force them...
EVERY CAT like EVERY PERSON is different, some are abolulty perfectly content as indoor cats, some are not.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:19 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Even on a leash, to jump around, eat a bug they catch, smell the outdoors, just what has been created and their life isn't much better than a zoo. When I see a cat that never goes outside, I wonder just what it does all day in, day out. It looks out of the windows and thinks what?
When a cat never goes outdoors....

It doesn't get run over by a car
It doesn't get killed by some idiot in the neighborhood
It doesn't tick other people off by messing with their gardens
It doesn't get attacked by a dog
It doesn't get attacked by a wild animal
It doesn't get itself in a situation it can't get out of

When I see a cat that lives outdoors, I often wonder, what are those humans thinking?

Old 12-13-2014, 04:46 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
of the 6 cats I live with. 2 you couldn't stop form going outside...(we tried) 1 likes to go outside to use the bathroom but you better be waiting at the dor to let him back in once hes done...and 3 wouldn't go outside if you tried to force them...
EVERY CAT like EVERY PERSON is different, some are abolulty perfectly content as indoor cats, some are not.
This is true.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
I have a Tonkinese cat, and that breed has had all the flight or fight reponse bred out of them.
Letting him go out on his own would be a Very Bad Idea.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
They don't miss what they've never known/had. My cats don't live in a democracy - so they don't get to vote. They are not allowed to go outside - because I love them and do not want them dead due to other animals attacking them, their own ignorance of things that could kill them, people who target cats who are on the loose, etc. All of our cats are indoors only, are healthy, all are spayed/neutered, all have good and plentiful food and water - all day long, a lot of comfortable areas to play and just hang out in, toys just for them, catnip out the wazoo. When the weather is nice - they lay in the sunny windows with a breeze blowing in their face. In winter - they are warm and comfortable - they probably see a stray cat outside and wonder what in the hell is wrong with it - why is it outside instead of inside like them? Please stop trying to attach your human emotions onto them - they don't "think about" things the way humans do - but they are extremely intelligent creatures nonetheless.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:23 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
My cats were outside cats, before we rescued them, and judging by how they act when I open the door, they have no interest in going out there again.

They play, sleep, eat, gaze out the window, and hang out with me. They have a ton of toys - and each other - to play with, furniture to jump up and down on, two staircases to run up and down on, and windowsills to gaze out from. Best of all, they have a home safe from other cats, predators, poisons, cars, and other dangers.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:33 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Mine sits and looks outside. I don't think it's because he wants out; he's just staring, much like we might lie on the ground and stare at the clouds or the stars. He's looking out the window, but what he's thinking is, "What can I do next to really rile Mom and Dad today?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats