Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 05:36 PM

836 posts, read 3,381,678 times

Advertisements

I have the sweetest kitty, She is part Bob Cat/Part Domestic Cat. Very little though she was the runt and she is over 10 years old. She seems to be going deaf.. or maybe is to the point of being completely deaf We have done several things to see if she can hear and it is evident she can hear very little.. She runs around the house 3-4 times a day screaming as loud as possible, it is almost like she is crying like a baby with a high pitch...Yikes makes us crazy. We have also notice her ears do not move like most cats where their ears move when they ear things.. Could it be her breed that made her lose her hearing or is this common in cats??
Attached Thumbnails
Think my kitty is going deaf..-dscf1514.jpg   Think my kitty is going deaf..-dsc00167.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:54 AM

52 posts, read 63,322 times
Take your cat to a Vet

Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
I have the sweetest kitty, She is part Bob Cat/Part Domestic Cat. Very little though she was the runt and she is over 10 years old. She seems to be going deaf.. or maybe is to the point of being completely deaf We have done several things to see if she can hear and it is evident she can hear very little.. She runs around the house 3-4 times a day screaming as loud as possible, it is almost like she is crying like a baby with a high pitch...Yikes makes us crazy. We have also notice her ears do not move like most cats where their ears move when they ear things.. Could it be her breed that made her lose her hearing or is this common in cats??

Poor baby. My cat was born mostly deaf. Vet said he could hear very high pitched inaudible to humans sounds, but for all intent and purposes he was deaf. Found out it is very common in white cats with blue eyes (but Keller had green eyes...and yes I named him Keller b/c he was deaf). It never bothered him, but I could see why it would be scary for your cat if she's been able to hear all along. I hope there is nothing wrong with her and maybe it's just part of her getting older. Hopefully, once she gets used to it the crying will stop-that must be heartbreaking . Best of luck to you.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 AM

Sublime-Explain to me what the doctors can do.. They more than likely can't do much for her.. and I doubt they make hearing aids for cats..and if they do they probably cost so much people couldn't afford to buy them.

regarese,..Yes it is very heart breaking..the last time she was at the vets, the doctor said she was healthy kitty (her name is mitters because she has mittens as her front paws) .. it is probably the old age thing. I guess its no more uncommon than when we get old start losing eye sight, hearing..etc.. But I do believe it scares her a lil not being able to hear and this is probably why she runs around screaming so loud. But were dealing with it. But since I had never heard of cats going deaf...I just wondered if it was a common thing and figured I would ask.

Last edited by wolfeyes; 01-04-2008 at 08:33 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 08:54 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,420 times
Yes, cats can go deaf just like dogs do. I wonder if it would be a good idea to keep her contained in time like that to calm her down. Maybe use some Feliway to calm her. Just keep petting and loving on her. Could it be that her ears hurt her?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Sublime-Explain to me what the doctors can do.. They more than likely can't do much for her.. and I doubt they make hearing aids for cats..and if they do they probably cost so much people couldn't afford to buy them.

regarese,..Yes it is very heart breaking..the last time she was at the vets, the doctor said she was healthy kitty (her name is mitters because she has mittens as her front paws) .. it is probably the old age thing. I guess its no more uncommon than when we get old start losing eye sight, hearing..etc.. But I do believe it scares her a lil not being able to hear and this is probably why she runs around screaming so loud. But were dealing with it. But since I had never heard of cats going deaf...I just wondered if it was a common thing and figured I would ask.
The doctor can make sure its not something that can be reversed like some kind of infection.

I have a white cat with blue eyes who is also deaf, we think also he can hear some levels but his ears don't move either. He LOVES to be vacuumed and is not disturbed by things like thunder or fireworks while my other two cats run and hide. We just make sure he never gets outside (none of my three cats do) because he would be defenseless.

My kitty also has times when he runs around the house in a very strange way making a strange noise.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:32 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

My kitty also has times when he runs around the house in a very strange way making a strange noise.
Like a muted meow-kind of like a deaf person would talk? That's what ours did too.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 PM

I have 4 cats and they all 4 stay inside too.. They run from the vaccum..lol I am going to contact the Vet and see what they want to do. We got mitters from my husbands brother well thats a really long story but we think he abused her so this could be another possibilty to her going deaf. It took us a really longtime (about 6 months to be exact) to get her to come out from under the bed and be comfortable around people..when we first brought her home which was 6 years ago..and yes she does all the normal cat stuff.. plays, sleeps, eats, poops and pees..Oh and Did I mention she sleeps and sleeps..hehe.. normal cat stuff. Any way Thanks Everyone.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:03 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Like a muted meow-kind of like a deaf person would talk? That's what ours did too.
My little white cat has a very soulful howl that is amazing it comes from his little body. He acts as if someone unseen is after him then settles down.

Its hysterical when I vacuum, he comes out and I take the hand tool and vacuum his belly. He loves it. I can even suck his ear into the hand tool and he likes it. That clenched it that he had to be hard of hearing.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:18 PM

689 posts, read 2,057,600 times
I discovered our white cat was deaf when I caught the hair on her leg with the car tire. She didn't hear the car start, so didn't know to get out of the way. She never had a regular meow. It was always that scream that you mentioned. At first we thought it was because she was in heat, but it didn't change after we had her spayed. She was named for the old relative that lives up on the third floor - the crazy one who screams a lot - the one you hid from visitors...her name was Aunt Jane.

If your cat goes outside, be careful to watch for predators that could sneak up on her. Janie would go outside when we were home but we never left without putting her inside. When we moved to Washington state in 2005, we never let her out again. There are thick woods, eagles and coyotes.

There were some funny times because of her deafness. The crows would fly around calling her ugly names and the neighbor's dog would bark and bark at her. She'd just watch them and smile. We always talked to her just like the other cats, even though we knew she couldn't hear us.

Another bad thing that happens to white kitties is skin cancer. She loved lying in the sun and she had cancer on her little pink baby nose. She's been gone just over a month now. I like to think she can hear now. She was a sweetie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats