Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:52 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,077 times

Advertisements

So , I just got word that, at some point in the next week, the apartment maintenance is going to be replacing windows in my apartment.

That's good, because they let massive amounts of cold air in.

It's bad because they are sliding glass doors and I have a cat.

If I were to get a cage for a dog and put a litter box in it, food, water, toy, etc ... does anyone think that would cause the cat any harm?

She lived in a cage at the shelter for 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 02:00 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Could you put her in the bathroom, with a big sign on the door saying "Cat inside. Do not open!"

If it's just for one day, it would not cause her harm, but it may be less stressful for her if she was shut away from it all, if possible.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:07 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Could you put her in the bathroom, with a big sign on the door saying "Cat inside. Do not open!"

If it's just for one day, it would not cause her harm, but it may be less stressful for her if she was shut away from it all, if possible.
Interesting. That may be an option. She would have more room and it's not something she is unfamiliar with.

They would just have to walk somewhere else to use the bathroom. That would keep her out of their way though.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:31 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
Interesting idea but l I am thinking if your cat start barking afterwords. If it is shorter period that will be okay but they wont be happy to be in a cage.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:31 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
The bathroom and a note is okay, but what if they disregard it? It's only for one day? I'd put her in the dog crate, AND put her behind a closed door so she would have less stress.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:03 PM

20,362 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I agree with Catsmom on this. I've heard numerous stories where someone moved or had work done, put the cat in a closed room with a sign on a door, and some idiot opened the door anyways and let the cat out. You just can't assume that every person in the world will read the written word even if it's a foot tall and right in front of their face.

There is no harm to the cat in spending a day in a good sized cage with litter, food, water, and a comfy bed space available. Of course the cat will probably complain loudly, she won't be pleased, but she'll survive just fine.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:06 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I agree with catsmom. I wouldn't trust them to read and follow your instructions. What if one of them thinks, "I have to go right now, and I'll be quick opening the door." She'll be OK, and as catsmom also said, having her behind a closed door will keep her from getting as stressed out.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:09 PM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I agree with Catsmom on this. I've heard numerous stories where someone moved or had work done, put the cat in a closed room with a sign on a door, and some idiot opened the door anyways and let the cat out.
Absolutely, especially if the cat is in the bathroom.

Make sure the landlord/property manager knows your arrangements for the cat, too. Can't be too careful, and the more people that can caution the workers, the better.

But the cat will be fine in the crate for a day with food, water and litter, and a familiar blanket and toys. She'll probably sleep the whole time.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:11 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
She will be fine in a cage for a day. I kept a feral cat in a cage for over a week. Waiting for a spay appointment. I was not about to let her loose again! She spent another week in there afterwards. She was fine. Lived another couple years until for some crazy reason, she went out on the road and got hit by a car. I had never seen her leave the back acreage before.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:13 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
I put my cat in my dog's crate when people are going to be in and out of the house and I don't want to worry about her getting out. She is just fine with it. Cats make due in this situation over longer term when in shelters and vets offices. So I see no reason it can't work at home. As was pointed out locking the cat in a room still leaves the possibility of it escaping if someone accidentally opens the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats