Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 01:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about this? Do you have links to information to dispute this?

Stop with the FIV+ discrimination! | CatCentric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 02:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,397,705 times
I clicked the link & my Norton AV blocked it..... "Malicious Web Attack Redirect 16" or something like that.

Sorry NK, just wanted to give a heads-up.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:27 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,004,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I clicked the link & my Norton AV blocked it..... "Malicious Web Attack Redirect 16" or something like that.

Sorry NK, just wanted to give a heads-up.
My Norton blocked it too.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:16 PM

11,278 posts, read 19,615,582 times
I had no trouble with the link. I visit CatCentric daily, it is a safe site. However I will let the administrator of that site know some people are receiving anti-virus warnings.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times
I hope you all can read it. I visit catcentric several times every day and my paranoid husband has very stringent virus detectors and that never comes up.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:37 AM

11,278 posts, read 19,615,582 times
From the administrator of CatCentric:

I just ran a security check on the site. You can tell the others it's safe to just go through to the site. Whatever Norton's picking up, the site is safe.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:24 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,022,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
How do you feel about this?
Honestly, I feel that anytime understanding and knowledge can be perpetuated, it's a good day.

I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on the internet. With that being said, it seems to me that knowing the temperaments of the cats involved would be of paramount importance- i.e. making sure it would be a "stable social situation".

I can't say that I blame someone for thinking twice about bringing a semi-feral FIV+ cat into a house with other negative cats. (Or, for that matter, any FIV+ cat that has not proven itself to not be aggressive.)

Old 11-02-2015, 09:56 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,014,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
.....I can't say that I blame someone for thinking twice about bringing a semi-feral FIV+ cat into a house with other negative cats. (Or, for that matter, any FIV+ cat that has not proven itself to not be aggressive.)
I agree with you. But even a non-aggressive cat can turn and fight if attacked. I have seen this happen.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:14 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,022,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I agree with you. But even a non-aggressive cat can turn and fight if attacked. I have seen this happen.
Without a doubt.

The risk is always there. In a very real way, I admire that not only have scientific studies been done, but also "regular people" are speaking out anecdotally about how it can work to have an FIV+ cat successfully with negative ones. That cats are euthanized just because they are FIV+? Craziness.

However, to go the extreme other way and say, "yeah, no worries" is scary to me.

IMO, it is all about education, and giving the lay person the knowledge that they need to make the right choice for themselves and their feline owners.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:37 AM

30,318 posts, read 23,789,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
How do you feel about this? Do you have links to information to dispute this?

Stop with the FIV+ discrimination! | CatCentric
It's all well and good that she wants to dispel the myth, but just saying it's a myth is not going to convince anyone. Show us why it's a myth. Give us those studies. Prove it.

Sure, she has links up....but they don't go to an actual study that we can look at, it goes to another website/blog. That's not good enough. The one paper that was linked to is not enough. It is a small sampling, and I think there needs to be more studying. In science, it must be observable and repeatable. So do it again. Have others recreate and see if they come up with the same results.

It's been repeated so often, for so long, that FIV+ should not be in with other cats who do not have it that it's going to take a lot of convincing to undo that. You can't convince by just stating: "I'm tired of this myth! Stop believing it."

It's great that she wants to get the word out, but she's not doing it the right way.

As for the security of the site: It's fine. I have multiple programs up that block a lot of the garbage from websites and this site pops up fine. Norton is notorious for calling darn near everything a virus. Get Microsoft Security Essentials. Free, and does a better job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats