Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 01:01 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times

Advertisements

I haven't had to deal with hairballs much in a long time, but my long-haired guy is getting a lot of them. Brushing helps, but isn't enough, as I am not here all day while he is grooming. (Unfortunately, he is a grooming fanatic AND grooms every other cat in the house. He even grooms us if we let him.)

What remedies have you found that:

(a) Prevent hairballs; or

(b) Allow the cat to eliminate an existing hairball more easily? I don't care if it makes him vomit or if the hairball comes out in his stool. I just want the poor thing to feel better; he loses his appetite when he has a big hairball. Then eats like a piggy when he chucks up the giant thing!

Oh my, the things we cat owners discuss! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 01:26 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
A drop or so of mineral oil in the cat's food helps them pass the hairballs more easily. That, or just get him shaved during the molting season.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:38 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I used to put a couple of teaspoons of olive oil in a bowl and he would lick it all up- no more hairballs. Not sure all cats would like it though.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:41 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Please, no oils. Mineral oil is a harsh laxative. It inhibits the absorption of nutrients in food, and the body can become reliant on it if used too often.

First and most important, feed a wet (or balanced raw, or both) diet. No dry food. Cats need to be well hydrated from their food. A dry fed cat is a dehydrated cat, creating a number of problems in addition to hairball issues.

Egg yolk is excellent and/or egg yolk lecithin (comes in capsules that you sprinkle on the food) is good too.

Egg yolk lecithin is a fat emulsifier. Hairballs are made up of fur and fat. The EYL breaks down the fat, freeing the fur to pass through the normal way. There are two brands, Swanson and Nature's Plus. (I use both). Start with half a capsule twice a week, slowly working up to more if needed. Never use any other kind of lecithin, including soy lecithin.

Egg yolks are full of nutrition, including choline. Choline assists with motility. Motility is what keeps things moving along. Again, to help the cat pass the fur through the way it's supposed to go. One or two egg yolks a week Start with one yolk a week and see how it goes.

You can use fresh raw yolk, cooked yolk, or dried egg yolk powder. The powder can be bought or you can make your own. Food Fur Life recently posed instructions on how to do it:

Blog & News - Food Fur Life

Here's the article on managing hairballs:

http://www.foodfurlife.com/best-manage-hairballs.html

Here's another

http://catcentric.org/care-and-healt...ate-treatment/

Exercise is also important. Keep kitty moving with two or three play sessions every day. Get kitty jumping and running.

Last edited by catsmom21; 06-22-2016 at 02:50 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 02:51 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
I can honestly say that the number of hairballs decreased when we switched to wet food. The two that are on raw food have never hacked up a hairball (one is 7 and one is 2).

Brush, brush, brush! This makes a huge difference too. Brush your other cats too since he grooms them.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:45 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
I only feed my cats wet food, so that's not the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:17 AM

914 posts, read 738,060 times
Have you tried cat grass/pet grass? Think that's meant to help with hairballs and it's pretty easy to grow (I get mine in prepared trays, you just have to add water).

Old 06-24-2016, 01:16 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Some cats, especially Orange Tabbies, have stiff hair on their backs. This is hard to hack up and makes the cat cough like he has the croup. I give my cats "natural" hairball medicine that uses soybean oil, vegetable oil, cod liver oil, and flax seed oil. No petroleum. It is chicken flavor. The cats like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Best hairball remedy?-screen-shot-2016-06-24-11.34.59  

Old 06-24-2016, 03:01 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Some cats, especially Orange Tabbies, have stiff hair on their backs. This is hard to hack up and makes the cat cough like he has the croup. I give my cats "natural" hairball medicine that uses soybean oil, vegetable oil, cod liver oil, and flax seed oil. No petroleum. It is chicken flavor. The cats like it.
Yikes! No petroleum but a whole lot of other things that cats should not have! Soy is very bad for cats. Cod liver oil is extremely high in vitamin A, risking toxicity if used too often. Vegetable oil is probably more soybean oil.

This is not a safe for cats product.

I've had two red boys, their back fur was just as soft as the rest of their fur. All the other red cats I've had the pleasure of knowing also had normal soft fur on their backs.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Definitely no petroleum based products--even if your vet recommends it. Vet's Best Hairball relief is what we use but unless we regularly brush our 15 lb Ragdolls they still barf up hairballs. If you have more than one kitty remember they lick themselves as well as their buddy so that's a lot of hair to pass.

https://www.chewy.com/vets-best-hair...stive/dp/45135
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats