Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:15 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times

Advertisements

It is not often that I need to start a thread here, but I'm out of ideas.

Our youngest, Ringo (2) doesn't want to eat out of food dishes. He'll sniff it and walk away.

We've tried: lower-sided bowls, plastic plates, paper plates, even the Dr. Gatsby's whisker fatigue bowl (which is is kinda scared of)

We've tried: warmed food, cold food, room temp food, different kinds of food

He appears to want to eat off the floor, which gets messy with raw and canned food.

Anyone have ideas we haven't thought of? (FYI, Feeding dry food is not an option.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 11:14 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Have your tried a sushi plate?
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...ar+sushi+plate

Old 06-30-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Now that is a clever idea, and one I hadn't thought of.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:54 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Now that is a clever idea, and one I hadn't thought of.
If that doesn't work, you can always just keep a mop handy.... and think of it as Ringo helping you stay motivated to keep a clean floor.

I'm sorry Rene, that's no help at all but couldn't resist.
I'll go away now, and good luck with your problem.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
If that doesn't work, you can always just keep a mop handy.... and think of it as Ringo helping you stay motivated to keep a clean floor.

I'm sorry Rene, that's no help at all but couldn't resist.
I'll go away now, and good luck with your problem.
LOL, out of frustration a few times I've thrown a piece of raw (commercially prepared, like a nugget shape) onto the floor. I think he finds that fun and will run to the food. What a goofy boy. He's only 2, so I may have many years ahead of this.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:41 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
plastic placemat that you can pick up and wash off

Old 06-30-2016, 01:14 PM

446 posts, read 396,833 times
I love my kitties but they eat out of the dishes I buy for them. Or they don't eat. This is just a contest you have to win. I do spoil my kitties, but they eat where I feed them or they miss a meal (they have dry food out 24/7 so don't starve).

Maybe it is the food, not the dish, that Ringo dislikes. Since he is sniffing the food, not the dish, before walking away.

My opinion is, if they're hungry, they won't complain about the dish, they won't even notice it. If it's wide enough for Ringo's whiskers, it's fine (and that idea some people have about a dish must be wide enough for a kitty's whiskers doesn't fit with my girls -- I sometimes feed out of small bowls and they have no problem with them at all. They will even eat out of the cans that are not wide enough for whiskers).

Sounds harsh, maybe, but really it's just no-nonsense. You're hungry? Here -- eat! and enjoy

ETA: I often scoop chunks from the can and hand-feed to get them to eat, but they are old kitties so I indulge them now even more than I did when they were young (and I did the same thing then as needed).

Old 06-30-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Maybe it is the food, not the dish, that Ringo dislikes. Since he is sniffing the food, not the dish, before walking away.
I thought that too, and have tried all sorts of food. He usually eats raw but loves Fancy Feast. Put it in the bowl, no go. Put it on the floor, he'll eat it. It's baffling.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:28 PM

446 posts, read 396,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I thought that too, and have tried all sorts of food. He usually eats raw but loves Fancy Feast. Put it in the bowl, no go. Put it on the floor, he'll eat it. It's baffling.
Do you know Ringo's backstory? Maybe he has a really good reason for his floor preference.

I like the placemat idea CSD suggested, but again, a healthy two-year-old? My floor, my dish, buddy! lol

Old 06-30-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Do you know Ringo's backstory? Maybe he has a really good reason for his floor preference.

I like the placemat idea CSD suggested, but again, a healthy two-year-old? My floor, my dish, buddy! lol
He was a kitten we adopted from a shelter at about age 12 weeks. The story was he and his litter mate were found a few weeks before, so no idea. Perhaps he got used to eat mouse bits on the ground?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats