Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:49 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times

Advertisements

My foster cats have fleas and I was wondering if PetArmor is safe. There seems to be some controversy over it as far as safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I've never heard of it, I just use Advantage.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:21 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
PetArmor is the generic version of Frontline (note Frontline not Frontline plus). Irts been around fo many years but was orginally limited to only WalMarts and Sam's Club. The problems is that PetArmor and Frontline use the same active ingredient but the ingredients used to dispurse the active ingredient over a animal are not the same.

Some problems with PetArmor is that like any change of anything it may take a little extra time to get it to work fully and typical people are so impatient they expect instant results and complain that it doesn't work if 2 seconds after application all the fleas and ticks in the state didnt up and drop dead.

Another more widely reported problem is that animals that have used another topical treatment have experience skin problems when the new treatment was applied to the same spot. Don;t know if you need to space the treatments apart or maybe the other treatment casues some long=term reaction with this one.

But basically its Frontline.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:04 AM

157 posts, read 587,141 times
sorry haven't heard of it. but there is a good site listing the worst and the safer alternatives to flea and tick products. don't see it listed on there.

GreenPaws Flea and Tick Products Directory | Smarter Living

Old 05-28-2012, 05:52 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
^^I don't know about the validity of the info in this link, but I did notice they're rating it by the risk to humans, not to your pet. For example, Comfortis is rated safer than some other things, and the description said that, as it is a pill, risk to humans and children is very low, compared to topical applications.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have tried a few over the counter flea medications, but I always go back to the Advantage from the vet. In my experience, it's not worth the small savings. The cheaper stuff seems to work, but it lays on my cat's hair for a couple of days, causing him to frantically try to lick it off. I'm worried he will get sick from ingesting it by mouth.
The good stuff disappears almost immediately and doesn't upset him.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:06 AM

157 posts, read 587,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
^^I don't know about the validity of the info in this link, but I did notice they're rating it by the risk to humans, not to your pet. For example, Comfortis is rated safer than some other things, and the description said that, as it is a pill, risk to humans and children is very low, compared to topical applications.
I can't vouch for the site but it has some important info on the toxic chemicals that are contained in these products. top heading says 'contain toxic chemicals that are poisonous to PETS and harm HUMANS'
If they can harm us, I can only imagine how toxic they can also be to a pet...

Old 05-28-2012, 06:09 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
There is good info there. I just thought, if someone looked at it quickly, just going by the icon ratings, without reading, they might get the wrong impression about which are safer. The icons just tell you which are most likely to cause a problem for humans by accidental contact, at least as far as I can tell.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:10 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
PetArmor is the generic version of Frontline (note Frontline not Frontline plus). Irts been around fo many years but was orginally limited to only WalMarts and Sam's Club. The problems is that PetArmor and Frontline use the same active ingredient but the ingredients used to dispurse the active ingredient over a animal are not the same.

Some problems with PetArmor is that like any change of anything it may take a little extra time to get it to work fully and typical people are so impatient they expect instant results and complain that it doesn't work if 2 seconds after application all the fleas and ticks in the state didnt up and drop dead.

Another more widely reported problem is that animals that have used another topical treatment have experience skin problems when the new treatment was applied to the same spot. Don;t know if you need to space the treatments apart or maybe the other treatment casues some long=term reaction with this one.

But basically its Frontline.
My cat had a bad reaction to Frontline. Not fatal or toxic, just red and irritated around the application area. The vet recommended that I try PetArmor for that exact reason. I have found it is effective and Max seems to respond well to it. And while all the fleas don't jump up and die, I do notice a difference in scratching (he only ever gets fleas at the vet as he is indoors, LOL) in about 12-16 hours.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
I went to Amazon and read different reviews for different flea products. I decided on the purple Advantage (ll), and got it yesterday.

I was using a natural spray for a couple of months and it did not work.
I hope the Advantage works as the cats are soooo infested with fleas!

Does anyone know of a good vitamin to give them to help with their immune system?
I used to give my persian cats Nutrical years ago. I am wondering if there is something better and stronger.

Thanx for all your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats