Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:07 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times

Advertisements

Your house will be covered in dander/hair, and your friends have probably been exposed to the same via coworkers, while traveling on planes, at a restaurant or store, etc. So it's not actually going to help your friends' allergies to hide away the cat....but it may minimize complaints.

It won't hurt the cat for an hour or two. But of course she is going to be disruptive if she is not used to being separated from her 'littermate' (your dog). So put them both down there so that they can keep each other company.

I don't see how getting another cat would solve anything at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 05:26 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Perhaps you ought to read the things you said that I quoted again. Seriously. You're whole attitude about this living being is messed up. It's like you want a toy that interacts only when you want her to. Get a Furbie.

The "not spay" argument is BS. As is the other stuff. Those are safety and health issues. Has nothing to do with the topic.

What I have bolded above is my objection. Spraying her with water because she has something to say is just plain bullying. It obviously doesn't work, because you stated you have to repeat the process. For 20 minutes? That's sadistic. What it reads like is you are taking out your own personal vendetta on a kitten who is simply expressing her opinion.

It says a lot about YOU and how you treat your pets. THAT is why I recommend you find her a decent home. Because your posts scream this kitten is a toy, there only for your entertainment, and only when it's convenient for you. When it's not, you want her out of sight and hearing.

If she's only left alone an hour or two a day, as you claim, then let her have her say. Stop punishing her for being alive.
Drama queen much? She is not being punished for being alive, ffs. Look, I realize your rigid, judgmental worldview doesn't allow for anyone to do anything differently, but she's being told that screaming at the door is not acceptable and that it's not going to get her what she wants. She's being told painlessly and in a relatively stress-free way. I'm not blasting her in the face with a supersoaker - I'm spritzing her with a spray bottle along her body. And yes, it does have the effect of stopping her even if it doesn't really upset her (no bottlebrush tail like when she's angry or scared). I have to do it maybe twice before she gives up and goes back downstairs to do something else. If I don't do it, she'll go full blast for 20 minutes, and no I don't feel like listening to it. I wouldn't listen to my dogs bark either for that long.

I'm looking into online clicker training classes for her. I'm leash training her so she can spend time outside with me. I'm researching how to build a freakin' catio for her. She's not a toy, but a member of my household. There are just certain parameters that I need her to align with for my own sanity. My dog also has certain expectations he needs to meet. You set rules for kids, you set rules for pets though those two categories are vastly different things.

And those arguments I made are that those are things that dramatically alter the way an animal lives - they may be done for health and safety, but they disrupt the animal's natural behavior for sure. I'm asking for quiet while I handle things upstairs. That's not a crazy expectation nor is it "punishing her for being alive". She vocalizes quite freely all day long while I'm working.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:39 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Your house will be covered in dander/hair, and your friends have probably been exposed to the same via coworkers, while traveling on planes, at a restaurant or store, etc. So it's not actually going to help your friends' allergies to hide away the cat....but it may minimize complaints.

It won't hurt the cat for an hour or two. But of course she is going to be disruptive if she is not used to being separated from her 'littermate' (your dog). So put them both down there so that they can keep each other company.

I don't see how getting another cat would solve anything at this point.
All I know is that when my roommate and I had cats previously, one of our buddies who is severely allergic couldn't come over. I'm hoping keeping her downstairs will fix that problem. One friend had the idea of doing the deep clean before having houseguests and keeping the kitten downstairs then, but if she's anything like my semi-feral was, that will result in DAYS of screaming, which is not conducive with houseguests. Trying to get her used to it now.

Yeah, I'm ordering a double-decker cat hideaway so I can put an extra litterbox in it and her food bowl in it and the dog won't be able to get at either. Just need to budget for it for next months' paycheck - it's expensive. Otherwise the dog will be constantly getting into her food every time I forget to pick it up.

I don't want a second cat, but if it would make her happy, I'd be fine with it. It would probably stop the screaming at the top of the steps, and the dog would be overjoyed. I just don't want to overextend my finances - one health problem can wipe you out financially as I learned earlier this year.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:02 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
All I know is that when my roommate and I had cats previously, one of our buddies who is severely allergic couldn't come over. I'm hoping keeping her downstairs will fix that problem. One friend had the idea of doing the deep clean before having houseguests and keeping the kitten downstairs then, but if she's anything like my semi-feral was, that will result in DAYS of screaming, which is not conducive with houseguests. Trying to get her used to it now.

Yeah, I'm ordering a double-decker cat hideaway so I can put an extra litterbox in it and her food bowl in it and the dog won't be able to get at either. Just need to budget for it for next months' paycheck - it's expensive. Otherwise the dog will be constantly getting into her food every time I forget to pick it up.

I don't want a second cat, but if it would make her happy, I'd be fine with it. It would probably stop the screaming at the top of the steps, and the dog would be overjoyed. I just don't want to overextend my finances - one health problem can wipe you out financially as I learned earlier this year.
More likely you'd have two of them calling.

Spraying a cat does indeed cause stress. Cats are stoic animals. They don't show stress, fear, pain or illness unless it is extreme. And then it usually presents as litter box avoidance, over grooming or other behavior and health problems.

Why not pay attention to what people (who are sounding less angry than I am) are telling you. Cats are not small dogs.

Meowing at the door is normal feline behavior. If all else is so wonderful as you claim, the meowing will stop eventually, when she learns you won't come.

When you spray her, even though it's nasty, it is still rewarding the behavior. You have responded to her meows, showing her that hollering at the door brings you back. . Let her be and she will learn the meowing doesn't bring you.

Give her something else to do, before you leave the room.

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-19-2017 at 06:30 PM..

Old 09-19-2017, 07:09 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Wow 20 minutes of yowling at door is a bit much. I guess that would drive me batty too. Watch out, she may start to like her "showers" you never know with these silly animals. I had one that pulled double stick tape off furniture I have used to train to not scratch, cats always hate tape. My crazy pulled it off and would chew on it.

Maybe try a metal can with some nuts /bolts, shake it to make a loud noise, maybe that might work. Mine runs and hides at the sight of vacuum cleaner, not even on.

Also, it is a kitten, they are much more needy than a adult cat, will probably grow out of neediness. If you are only upstairs for a short time it would possibly be OK to bring her up, she won't totally coat the place in dander. If she sees it not that big of a deal upstairs she may loose interest, but it is you she really wants.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:22 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
The kitten is certainly in a much better place with you and your dog than being taken to a shelter, whereas it will most likely be put down. You have given her a real chance at a happy and well adjusted life.
That said, it is a baby and will moan for you (momma) until it adjusts. I think getting her a playmate is a wonderful idea. Save another kitty, and one more for fun. Good luck to you JRz. I know how much you love all of your animals, and they you

Old 09-19-2017, 07:22 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Can everyone stop clutching their pearls? I am in the basement more than most people are in their house as I work from home. It is well-lit, with windows she can access, and furnished just as a regular apartment - it is, in fact, bigger than many apartments and not a few houses. Most days she is alone for maybe a couple of hours tops. I doubt many owners of a single cat can say the same.

I sleep down here, shower down here, work down here and relax down here. I go upstairs to socialize with friends and cook. The upper floor of my house, when it is done will be a place to entertain, not really "live in". The dog stays down here with here whenever I'm out of the house without him.
You said it yourself, that the cat hates the basement. If you continue to keep the cat in the place it hates,, you are not going to have a happy cat. The problem will probably get worse.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:10 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
You can't train a cat the same way you train a dog because they're just too different.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:21 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
Quote:
All I know is that when my roommate and I had cats previously, one of our buddies who is severely allergic couldn't come over.
Did you ever try putting your other cats in another room while your friend came over? I only say this because if someone is severely allergic, then simply moving the cat to another room isn't likely going to help. It's not going to remove all the hair and dander that has gotten into your furniture and rugs. Out of sight doesn't mean the problem is solved.

I appreciate what you are trying to do with the spray bottle, but I doubt it will work. Your cat is meowing because she's communicating. She communicates to you other times as well but you don't spray her....so she's not going to understand what you are punishing her for. Plus, cats aren't as trainable as dogs. I've seen some clicker training that works for cats for positive training--getting the to do something you want them to do. But not getting them to do something is different. You could clicker train to get the cat to go into her carrier or put out her paw for trimming, or something like that.

Moreover, she's communicating to you because she can hear you but can't get to you. Likely if you put her in the basement with the dog and left the house, they'd settle down and occupy themselves quietly. But if you shut her up in the basement by herself while you and the dog have fun without her....yeah, she's not going to be happy. And she'll let you know.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:28 AM

385 posts, read 205,395 times
Quote:
Can everyone stop clutching their pearls? I am in the basement more than most people are in their house as I work from home. It is well-lit, with windows she can access, and furnished just as a regular apartment - it is, in fact, bigger than many apartments and not a few houses. Most days she is alone for maybe a couple of hours tops. I doubt many owners of a single cat can say the same.

I sleep down here, shower down here, work down here and relax down here. I go upstairs to socialize with friends and cook. The upper floor of my house, when it is done will be a place to entertain, not really "live in". The dog stays down here with here whenever I'm out of the house without him.
Maybe people would stop clutching their pearls if you explained your so- called basement better. Plus you did say she hated it down There!

I would also say that in my almost half a century of dealing with cats, they hate closed doors. The moment I close my bedroom door a cat scratches to get in or go out. Drives me crazy, but I love our cats and the love they give us out weighs that aggravation. My daughter and I are part of a rescue group. We have fostered a couple of cats too. I think having another cat is great, however if you feel it would be too much of a financial burden and/or an emotional/mental one, don't get another cat. They will probably both start meowing to be upstairs.

I hope you work things out for you and your pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats