Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:31 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Oh that's wonderful! Clearly she is making progress in your loving home! I have been thinking about Allie this evening a lot.
That's awfully nice of you, catsmom.

Quote:
I did want to ask how much time is spent, just you and her relaxing together and talking? You know, where she's curled up somewhere of her choice and you (and any other family members) are all just sitting around quietly. Do you talk to her much?
We watch some TV almost every night and she has recently started coming into the TV room, wandering around a bit, and going into the igloo. From the very start, she was pretty hesitant to even let me pet her. She is warming up to me a lot more these past few days, though. I often get right down on her level and talk to her, tell her how much I love her and how things are going to get better. I have started scratching her behind her ears and she seems to like that. A couple of times, she has even rolled over on her back. I decided (very tentatively) to try to scratch her tummy and she seemed to really like that, too, which kind of surprised me. I'm kind of letting her call the shots, though, as far as how much she wants to interact with me, my husband and our other animals. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law stopped by today and when my sister-in-law approached her, she (Allie) went right up to her, rubbed against her, and let her pet her. I have noticed that sudden movements seem to startle her, which I think is pretty normal for cats. In most cases, I would probably not go the extra mile to slow thing down, but with her, I do.

Quote:
The thing about the kitchen counter is. Cats do so much better if they are given an alternative in place of what you don't want them to do. That's why we keep suggesting something else for her in the kitchen. It doesn't matter, to her, that you are only in there a short time. What matters is she wants to be in there with you and seeing what you are doing.
She seems to want to be on the counter even if there is no one in the kitchen. She does know, though, that I don't want her up there, because if she hears me coming, I can hear her jump down. When I'm getting ready to feed her, she and the kitten (I don't think I've mentioned that her name is Samantha) both stand at my feet, looking up and meowing. It's kind of funny, because Allie and I will make eye contact and I can just see the wheels turning in her head. I can read that mind of hers and I tell her, "Don't you even think about it, Allie!" She stays put on the floor and within a minute or so, I have her food ready.

Quote:
When you talk about cat trees, you know you don't have to put a giant cat tree in there. Someone suggested a chair, I would even go so far as to offer the idea of a stool, so a little higher up. A perch that is all her own. Put the stool at the end of the counter, in a spot that it won't impede.
I'll see what I can come up with. Part of my concern is that a stool or something of that source right next to the counter might just be encouraging her to make the short jump over to the counter. Wouldn't it almost be tempting her?

Quote:
I live in a tiny apartment and do not have room for cat trees. Plenty of tall sturdy scratchers, but I have almost no wall or head space anywhere. There is a bit of wall in the kitchen where I put a shelf for them so they can reach the window (via the table top freezer that sits on my kitchen table). In the living room area in front of the window I put a four tiered shelving unit. White PVC plastic, but each level is a bed or padded perch, including a hammock.

In my bedroom on the one wall that doesn't have my bed or the heating unit I have a row of book cases, each higher than the next in a set of stairs for them, leading to a high perch up near the ceiling, which is also close enough to the open door, so the one who likes to tightrope walk can do it on the top edge of the door.

Anyway. I'm just describing these things, in case knowing how someone else had to get creative my help get your creativity flowing too.
When we first got her, I cleared off a shelf in my bedroom closet, low enough for her to jump up on but high enough that the dog couldn't get to it. She didn't seem to want to use it, so I put the stuff that had been on it back on it. Maybe I'll try it again, and just use a different covering. I used a towel the first time, and she might have found that it slid around too much.

Quote:
Remember to chat with her, using her name, whenever possible!
I do try to do that, but I'm going to double-up or triple-up on my efforts.

Quote:
I know you are doing your best for her and I am so grateful you've chosen to work with her and help her.
Thank you. I really appreciate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 08:27 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
My cat also likes to be in the kitchen with me - but only when the H is away at work. When we're both here, she's happy, but when it's just me, she wants to be where I am. I have a tiny cabinet with a cutting board on top that I use for an island and she would hop up on that, which was not cool. What I did was bring in my two-step stool and put her cushion on it and she is so good, she accepted that. I put it near the "island" so she could see everything and I could talk to her. It was a good solution because it could disappear when she didn't need it.

I find the respect/bonding thing is made up of a million small things. I bought ant traps in the spring and while I don't want her munching ant poison, she insisted on smelling them when I opened the package, so I held them out for her to smell. She got a good whiff and then ignored them forever after. I think of that example because I've often wondered if I hadn't let her smell them, would they have become something forbidden, that she enjoyed playing with?

Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
My cat also likes to be in the kitchen with me - but only when the H is away at work. When we're both here, she's happy, but when it's just me, she wants to be where I am. I have a tiny cabinet with a cutting board on top that I use for an island and she would hop up on that, which was not cool. What I did was bring in my two-step stool and put her cushion on it and she is so good, she accepted that. I put it near the "island" so she could see everything and I could talk to her. It was a good solution because it could disappear when she didn't need it.

I find the respect/bonding thing is made up of a million small things. I bought ant traps in the spring and while I don't want her munching ant poison, she insisted on smelling them when I opened the package, so I held them out for her to smell. She got a good whiff and then ignored them forever after. I think of that example because I've often wondered if I hadn't let her smell them, would they have become something forbidden, that she enjoyed playing with?
Yikes! That's a scary thought. I'm glad you didn't have to find out!

Old 10-24-2017, 01:50 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I could possibly put a cat tree in the dining room, from which she could see the kitchen. She won't use the cat tree we already have, though, so I don't know that she'd use another one either.
FYI, I had read your earlier response about her not using a cat tree, which is why I suggested creating a small "cat spot" in or near the kitchen that could be hers instead of the counter. I have pieces of fleece covering our kitchen chairs, and our cats love sleeping there. (And bonus, they are easy to wash.)

Old 10-24-2017, 06:33 PM

Okay, well we bought another cat tree and put it at the end of the counter. It's pretty cramped for us, but we'll see. I tried feeding her on the top level this evening, but she jumped right off. Then Samantha discovered it and has kind of claimed it as hers. I've noticed that with pretty much every cat I've ever had, they don't like you to put them somewhere you would like them to be or use, be it their bed, their litter box or anything else. It's like they have to think it's their own idea. Apparently, Allie is no different. I'm going to watch her closely during the next few days and see if she decides to use it.

I also bought her a calming collar. She let me put it on her and doesn't seem to be bothered by it in the slightest, so here's hoping it helps, too.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Who is Samantha?

Did Allie pee in inappropriate places before coming to your home? Was that the 'behavioral issue' she was set to be put to sleep for, or was there another behavioral issue?

Old 10-24-2017, 11:48 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Quote:
Okay, well we bought another cat tree and put it at the end of the counter. It's pretty cramped for us, but we'll see. I tried feeding her on the top level this evening, but she jumped right off. Then Samantha discovered it and has kind of claimed it as hers. I've noticed that with pretty much every cat I've ever had, they don't like you to put them somewhere you would like them to be or use, be it their bed, their litter box or anything else. It's like they have to think it's their own idea. Apparently, Allie is no different. I'm going to watch her closely during the next few days and see if she decides to use it.

I also bought her a calming collar. She let me put it on her and doesn't seem to be bothered by it in the slightest, so here's hoping it helps, too.
Does she have a blanket or cushion or something with her smell that would make it hers and deter the kitten? Not that I can think of anything to deter a kitten, but it's a thought. Or try feeding her on a level closer to the counter where she might be more comfortable.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Who is Samantha?
Samantha is the 12-week-old kitten.

Quote:
Did Allie pee in inappropriate places before coming to your home? Was that the 'behavioral issue' she was set to be put to sleep for, or was there another behavioral issue?
You know, I'm trying to remember. I'm not sure, but I think it was after we got Samantha that the problem started. We'd only had Allie a couple of weeks at that point. (Yeah, I know it was a mistake to bring three new pets into my home in such rapid succession, but that's something I can't undo now, even if I wanted to.) When Allie's previous owner took her in to the vet to be put to sleep, he basically just said, "I'm tired of her. I don't want her any more." When asked why, he gave peeing outside the box as the reason. When the vet ran a urinalysis, that's when she determined that Allie had crystals in her urine. So initially, it was a medical problem. Now it's a behavioral problem. But read my next post for an update.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 AM

Update on Allie:

Yesterday afernoon, we bought another cat tree and put it at the end of our kitchen counter, which leaves us very little room to get by, but you guys are all so persuasive that I didn't have much choice. At first, Samantha tried to claim it, but later in the evening, my husband called me into the kitchen and said, "Look at Allie." She was curled up in the top compartment, happy as a lark. Later, I top her sitting on the very highest perch, which is actually higher than the kitchen counter. I made a point of going up to her, petting her and talking to her, so she would learn that even though the cat tree is right next to the counter, it's an acceptable place for her to be, whereas the counter itself is not.

Our dog trainer also suggested that we spray some citronella under the lip of the counter. She said that was how she keeps her cat away from places she's not supposed to be. So we did that, too.

Lastly, we bought a Sentry Calming Collar. I was really hesitant to buy it because I thought Annie would have a major meltdown when I put it on her. Well, just the opposite happened. She let me put it on her just fine, and I swear that thing was a godsend. Almost immediately, something changed. It may have been almost imperceptible to most people, but I could definitely sense a change in Allie's mood. She just seemed more relaxed than I'd ever seen her in the nearly six weeks she's been with us. She is less shy, less standoffish and even played with a cat toy for the first time.

No peeing anywhere except in a litter box for three days now, and I'm cautiously optimistic about her not getting on the kitchen counters any more.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:25 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Quote:
Update on Allie:

Yesterday afernoon, we bought another cat tree and put it at the end of our kitchen counter, which leaves us very little room to get by, but you guys are all so persuasive that I didn't have much choice. At first, Samantha tried to claim it, but later in the evening, my husband called me into the kitchen and said, "Look at Allie." She was curled up in the top compartment, happy as a lark. Later, I top her sitting on the very highest perch, which is actually higher than the kitchen counter. I made a point of going up to her, petting her and talking to her, so she would learn that even though the cat tree is right next to the counter, it's an acceptable place for her to be, whereas the counter itself is not.

Our dog trainer also suggested that we spray some citronella under the lip of the counter. She said that was how she keeps her cat away from places she's not supposed to be. So we did that, too.

Lastly, we bought a Sentry Calming Collar. I was really hesitant to buy it because I thought Annie would have a major meltdown when I put it on her. Well, just the opposite happened. She let me put it on her just fine, and I swear that thing was a godsend. Almost immediately, something changed. It may have been almost imperceptible to most people, but I could definitely sense a change in Allie's mood. She just seemed more relaxed than I'd ever seen her in the nearly six weeks she's been with us. She is less shy, less standoffish and even played with a cat toy for the first time.

No peeing anywhere except in a litter box for three days now, and I'm cautiously optimistic about her not getting on the kitchen counters any more.
That's great news!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats