Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 08:56 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,848,406 times

Advertisements

my little baby-my Sophie is 5 months old this month. The little black beauty-Bella that we adopted as her playmate also turning 5 months. Time for the dreaded spaying.

Oh I'm sure they will both do fine. They just seem so small. We still call them the babies.

Since we adopted both from the shelter, the shelter pays for and sets up the vet appointments.

I don't know this vet at all. But I did call to ask questions and the lady there said they won't be given an IV, will be given gas and if we wanted them to have pain meds we would have to pay for it. Understood. Fine. Good. But then she says it's a shot, for 41.00 each that will make them sleepy for 3 full days
Huh? I called our regular vet and he said come by there before picking up the girls after surgery and he will provide pain pills ( a packet of 3)

It's been a while since I have dealt with a kitten being spayed. Anyone have suggestions? Did anyone ask for the pain shot to be administered? Did your cats need pain pills? I anticipate that Bella will be up climbing to the top of the cat tree by the next morning. Sophie likes to sleep anyway so she may be a bit slower to come around.

Mama ME is a tad nervous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 08:15 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,989,561 times
I'd be nervous too. Visit your vet for the pills, what a good guy to offer....Abdominal incisions must hurt...

Best wishes for an uneventful recovery.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:11 PM

20,987 posts, read 9,692,889 times
The main thing I remember from after my cat got spayed was, I was supposed to keep this cone thing on her neck to keep her from licking the incision area, but that was basically impossible. She's really good at squirming out of things. Other than that, the couple days or so after the surgery she appeared to be in some pain, but it seemed to go away after a few days or so.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:31 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,461,233 times
I'll relate my experiences FWIW......

Over the years my wife & I had somewhere around 9 or 10 female kittens spayed right at 6 months of age, and all of them were done by the same vet I have now.
1. Took them to the vet the night before so they wouldn't eat prior to morning surgery/anesthetic.
2. Always brought them back home late that afternoon. They would be groggy and pretty much sleep till the next morning.
3. It normally took them another day or 2 to return to normal activity, eating, etc..
4. We never had to use the cone collar, and never had a problem with chewing the stiches. We did watch them closely for that, but none of them did more than lick at them.
5. Our vet never suggested pain medication, and we never asked for it. None of the girls we had spayed ever showed any discomfort or pain that we could tell.
6. The only thing we were told to do was to check the incision for redness/infection. Never found any.
7. We had to take them back for stitch removal in the early years, but I think our vet started using something else later on. The last few we had spayed didn't have to have them taken out IIRC.

My advice would be to skip the pain medication, because it's very likely unnecessary. But if you feel they need it, do the pills not the shots.

As for the cone, that's up to you. You might have them on hand in case they do start chewing the stitches.

Early on I used to worry over them at spay/neuter time. My wife used to say "I think all this is harder on you than it is the cats" and give me one of these .

Try not to worry, everything should be fine.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I'll relate my experiences FWIW......

Over the years my wife & I had somewhere around 9 or 10 female kittens spayed right at 6 months of age, and all of them were done by the same vet I have now.
1. Took them to the vet the night before so they wouldn't eat prior to morning surgery/anesthetic.
2. Always brought them back home late that afternoon. They would be groggy and pretty much sleep till the next morning.
3. It normally took them another day or 2 to return to normal activity, eating, etc..
4. We never had to use the cone collar, and never had a problem with chewing the stiches. We did watch them closely for that, but none of them did more than lick at them.
5. Our vet never suggested pain medication, and we never asked for it. None of the girls we had spayed ever showed any discomfort or pain that we could tell.
6. The only thing we were told to do was to check the incision for redness/infection. Never found any.
7. We had to take them back for stitch removal in the early years, but I think our vet started using something else later on. The last few we had spayed didn't have to have them taken out IIRC.

My advice would be to skip the pain medication, because it's very likely unnecessary. But if you feel they need it, do the pills not the shots.

As for the cone, that's up to you. You might have them on hand in case they do start chewing the stitches.

Early on I used to worry over them at spay/neuter time. My wife used to say "I think all this is harder on you than it is the cats" and give me one of these .

Try not to worry, everything should be fine.
thanks so much!!
I hate those cones and we won't use one.
my feeling about the pain is that we don't actually know if they are in pain. I'm going to use the pain pill and really I'm thinking to get just one packet, containing 3 pills because I think giving one each to them the first evening may suffice.
I truly think my worrying over them is more "they are such babies" than the actual process. Astonishing to know that in the wild these 5-6 month old babies are having babies!! Makes my heart hurt.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:12 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,461,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
thanks so much!!
I hate those cones and we won't use one.
my feeling about the pain is that we don't actually know if they are in pain. I'm going to use the pain pill and really I'm thinking to get just one packet, containing 3 pills because I think giving one each to them the first evening may suffice.
I truly think my worrying over them is more "they are such babies" than the actual process. Astonishing to know that in the wild these 5-6 month old babies are having babies!! Makes my heart hurt.
Sounds like a good plan.

Give us an update later.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:33 PM

417 posts, read 192,299 times
One pain pill for baby. One anxiety pill for mommy. You'll both be fine.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:04 AM

2,979 posts, read 3,962,423 times
I wanted to suggest that instead of a cone, I've seen people cut a sock and use that instead. It is brilliant.

While some cats don't bother the incision, our Sadie was the biggest pill and we had to get staples added later because she would not keep a cone on despite our best efforts! We actually had to board her during the day for a few days because she was so difficult.

I too would pick up some pain meds, just in case. I'd rather have them and not use them than get into a difficult situation and now it's 2 a.m.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Sounds like a good plan.

Give us an update later.
Sure will
Quote:
Originally Posted by addakisson View Post
One pain pill for baby. One anxiety pill for mommy. You'll both be fine.

LOL, yes!!! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I wanted to suggest that instead of a cone, I've seen people cut a sock and use that instead. It is brilliant.

While some cats don't bother the incision, our Sadie was the biggest pill and we had to get staples added later because she would not keep a cone on despite our best efforts! We actually had to board her during the day for a few days because she was so difficult.

I too would pick up some pain meds, just in case. I'd rather have them and not use them than get into a difficult situation and now it's 2 a.m.
yea, so I dropped them off. Gave them a few hundred kisses. I asked if they could be caged together while waiting their turn. Yes. I asked to please call me the second they are ready to be picked up. Then went by the vet I use and got the pain pills.

Just sitting on ready for the babies to come home.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:28 AM

1,299 posts, read 830,309 times
I work in a shelter, and help take care of hundreds of cats spayed a year. We do kittens as small as 1kg (or 8wks), and in some places some vets will do at 650g. The vast majority of them do great with just the gas, and no pain meds afterwards. Most don't need a cone, unless they are bothering with the stitches, which are minimal - it's amazing how small an incision vets can make for a spay. I'm sure your girls will be fine, take a breath! They might be a bit dozy when they come home, or they might not be, it depends on the cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats