Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 11:33 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times

Advertisements

Here's an article about Disney's feral cats, which have been in population for decades. I've read that they manage the group and TNR (trap, neuter, release). Any kittens that are born are given up for adoption. The cats are used for mice control, though they are fed cat food.

Disneyland | After dark, the dirty work at Disneyland begins - Los Angeles Times

This article puts the number at 200.
TNR Week: Disneyland Views Feral Cats as “Partners”*|*moderncat :: cat products, cat toys, cat furniture, and more…all with modern style

Of course, this isn't the only business to use cats at pest control I'm sure. I just thought it was a nice story. People have probably been using cats to kill rodents for hundreds of years, but sometimes the old practices still work. And the cats seem happy enough. The article says Disney started doing TNR around 2003. They have five hidden feeding stations throughout the park.

Quote:
Park officials decided in 1955 that feral lurkers from Orange County wouldn't be treated as nuisances; they made them employees.

Renovation of the Sleeping Beauty castle two years later quantified the problem: more than 100 cats were found living in the unused portion. Evil fleas then riddled the area, as well.

It's questionable whether any of the current night shift descended from those initial pilgrims. It's also questionable exactly how many there are today — how do you get 200 feral cats to attend a staff meeting?

Perhaps what's best to know about these kitties, despite the flea-ridden past, is that their health care plan is a model for humane care that would make Walt proud, including a spay or neuter, regular shots and good grub.
Meet the Feral Cats of Disneyland - Mentor, OH Patch

High Ferality – Disneyland’s Feral Cats | mikecalahan.com

pictures:
Watch Out Mickey

You can also search "Disneyland Feral cats" on images side of Google and it shows pictures. I assume they are genuine.

Pretty neat to see animals and people working together for the good of all involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 05:18 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times
This is good to know! Disney made the ferals "employees" in 1955. Wonderful! Do you suppose Disney World is doing the same?

Old 07-16-2011, 05:25 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
"how do you get 200 feral cats to attend a staff meeting?"
Good question....Free Catnip and all you can eat tuna bar?

Old 07-16-2011, 05:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
. . .
Of course, this isn't the only business to use cats at pest control I'm sure. I just thought it was a nice story. People have probably been using cats to kill rodents for hundreds of years, but sometimes the old practices still work.
No doubt; the reason we humans and our cats have become such good friends is because of what we do for each other.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I know that many places in NYC have a resident cat, it is not unusual for a cat to be in a grocery store, flower store, book store. When you walk along the sidewalk at night, window shopping you can see the cat in the window peering out. I don't know if this is for rodent control, or the people just like cats? I like going places that have a cat lounging around, it makes me feel like staying longer...and of course, buying more!

Here in South Miami, I have been to a few stores with cats, one store with crystals, and Wicca items, of course they have a black cat.

I think cats serve a purpose, when I worked at a ski resort, we had cats in the lodge, they were feral, and the guests never saw them, but they kept the mice population down, HUGE problem at ski areas in the winter. Mice think food areas are their personal storage area. Mice get everywhere, they can really flatten themselves.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:42 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I think it's great that Disney is employing the cats, but it's a little ironic that they work for Mickey & Minnie.

My favorite Thrift Shop in Santa fe is called "Look What the Cat Dragged In" run by the Humane Society and has a couple resident cats to greet and assist in shopping.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:48 PM

41,945 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
"how do you get 200 feral cats to attend a staff meeting?"
Good question....Free Catnip and all you can eat tuna bar?
No nip, though, until after the business meeting!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:02 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
i think thats wonderful - i visited the lowry zoo in tampa fl they do the exact same thing to control their rodent population - i think its great for people and business to go green with cats - its safer by not using poison and much more pleasant to have all these kitties living the good life - way to go disney -

Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I think that is very cool of Disneyland. Kitty_FL's post made me wonder whether or not Disney World is doing the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats