Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 02:34 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times

Advertisements

I have a long-haired Norwegian Forest cat, and over the past few years, I've noticed he is getting greasier and greasier (his fur). He is 15 1/2.

I've read that older cats start to get greasier faster. Have any of you encountered that? What did you do about it.

I used to be able to take him to the groomers 2x a year, now, he is greasy and smells after just 4-6 weeks.

Thankfully, he is so docile that I can wash him myself. yesterday, I put him in the tub and used a shower sprayer and he just stood there while I lathered him up and then rinsed.

I can't afford the $80 trip to the groomers every other month.

I am sure he hates getting a bath, but I don't think I'm going to have a choice anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 09:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
check the archives as I know I've seen this mentioned here before.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:43 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
What he really needs is a check up and blood work. Poor coat condition is an indication of several diseases, kidney disease and hyperthyroid to mention two. It also could be arthritis, a cat in pain is unwilling to wash much.

Do please get him a good thorough check up with blood work (including thyroid) to find out what's going on.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
thanks cats mom - he had a check up a few months back and everything is fine. He has a heart murmur though.

Honestly, his coat has gotten greasier now that I have him on a raw diet. It was already prone to oiliness, but has been markedly worse in the past year or so.

His fur under his chin and chest area is the worst.

I am going to get some pet wipes to clean that area after he eats and then I will just bathe him once a month. Thankfully he is so docile when getting bathed.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:46 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
This may sound like harping, but at 15 1/2 "a check up a few months ago" doesn't mean much. When you see a sudden change, of any kind, new blood work is really the first thing to be done.

At that age, a cat's health can change very quickly. The sooner any issue is caught, the better the chances for kitty.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:34 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,794 times
Unfortunately I haven't come across this problem so I would have him checked by the vet in case there is any underlying medical condition.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:36 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
I have a long-haired Norwegian Forest cat, and over the past few years, I've noticed he is getting greasier and greasier (his fur). He is 15 1/2.
n't afford the $80 trip to the groomers every other month.

I am sure he hates getting a bath, but I don't think I'm going to have a choice anymore.
I think a trip to the vet is in order to see if he's developing a skin condition of some kind. Is he still grooming himself? Sometimes old cats don't spend much time grooming and sometimes they're ill and the owner is not aware of it. They get that unkempt look.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:37 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Honestly, his coat has gotten greasier now that I have him on a raw diet.
I hope you're adding the needed vitamins and minerals to the raw meat. If not, your cat get seriously ill.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
thanks cats mom - he had a check up a few months back and everything is fine. He has a heart murmur though.
Very indicative of hyperthyroid - check to see if his bloodwork specifically included this. It is not usually part of the standard blood panel.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:09 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
my first thought was thyroid also. Older cats can get a greasy coat as they age and don't feel like grooming, or are stressed. but thyroid and kidney are prime concerns. when he had the checkup a few months ago, did they do a full blood panel, or just a routine checkup? and was he as greasy then as now? Something may have changed.

BTW, if you are going to try washing him, you will want to use Dawn dish soap to help with the de-greasing. I have 2 Wegies that I've shown a little, and Dawn is the usual 'shampoo' used with Coons & Wegies. If he's clumping badly, you may need to let the Dawn works it way in a bit ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats