Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:34 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times

Advertisements

I am fostering a young cat from the local shelter for a little while. I don't know his background. If he jumps in my lap and wants petting I put him beside me in the chair and pet him gently while saying good kitty. He likes to be petted and talked to nicely.The issue is he will put his mouth on my hand if I move him to get up from the chair. He doesn't draw blood or anything but this is not acceptable. Any suggestions?

Also, he gets under the bed and grabs our feet with his claws (kitten play but a bit dangerous to bare feet and not a good habit for his forever family) if we are close to the bed. Any suggestions about how to stop this?

Any other foster cat tips will be appreciated. This is our first time fostering a cat.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 02:24 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
Cats will be cats...and when they're young, it is normal behavior to go after feet and even bite/scratch here and there. The important thing is to not raise your voice or show anger, just gently and firmly say "No" when he does things you want to correct. I have a kitten right now, and when he gets too crazy with me and my other animals, I put him in his room, (my bedroom), for a little while, and he is finally beginning to understand that when mom says "no" he better listen or he will have to have a time-out! Bless you for fostering this cat! It will get easier, and maybe you'll even fall in love and decide to make his forever home right where he's at...! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 12-26-2008, 03:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
My cats all grab my hand when they want to tell me "no" or "enoug." One doesn't like to be petted too much so he does it to say "enough." Another doesn't want me to moeve away from her when she's cuddling so she does it to say "no." it's how cats communicate displeasure w/o hurting you.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:01 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
Can I ask why you won't let him jump in your lap? Many cat owners would love to have a "lap cat"! There is nothing wrong with him being in your lap...he is just looking for some love and attention.
His little nips...are probably what we call love bites around here. I have one Ragdoll, who did this as a kitten all of the time...not hard...barely even biting down...and she still does this every once in awhile, to me and only me. She is also my velcro kitty...where ever I am...she is...

The attacking of the feet is purely a cat/kitten thing. Playing..all you need to do is redirect them with a wand or other interactive toy.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:33 PM

I tried to redirected play when he was under the bed. It has not been working which is why I posted! I think I will step on him from now on. He needs to know this is not human friendly. If he goes to his next home with this behavior it will be very bad for him.

As to being a lap cat, I love that he wants to be near me but being beside me is what he wants and he bites if I move him off me. Cats are cats....I love em! They also try to dominate. He must learn that what I want is what he must follow. I just drop him on the floor.

If you have some useful information let me know. I hope to foster again.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I am fostering a young cat from the local shelter for a little while. I don't know his background. If he jumps in my lap and wants petting I put him beside me in the chair and pet him gently while saying good kitty. He likes to be petted and talked to nicely.The issue is he will put his mouth on my hand if I move him to get up from the chair. He doesn't draw blood or anything but this is not acceptable. Any suggestions?

Also, he gets under the bed and grabs our feet with his claws (kitten play but a bit dangerous to bare feet and not a good habit for his forever family) if we are close to the bed. Any suggestions about how to stop this?

Any other foster cat tips will be appreciated. This is our first time fostering a cat.

Thanks!
Obviously it's your first time. It sounds like it's your first time even being around cats. All this stuff is infinitely NORMAL for a cat and the sun will fall out of the sky and pigs will fly before you will ever be able to change this wonderful feline behavior to suit yourself.

Better just to resign yourself that you are going to be stalked and "play killed" at every possible opportunity by your little boarder and enjoy the heck out of it. That is what makes cats so incredibly cool and wonderful is that THEY AREN'T DOGS! i.e. you can't train them to do (or not do) ANYTHING.

bwahahahahahahaha

20yrsinBranson
bonafide cat lover

Old 12-26-2008, 05:23 PM

thanks, branson. I will not foster again. You experienced cat people know better.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:02 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,771,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Cats will be cats...and when they're young, it is normal behavior to go after feet and even bite/scratch here and there. The important thing is to not raise your voice or show anger, just gently and firmly say "No" when he does things you want to correct. I have a kitten right now, and when he gets too crazy with me and my other animals, I put him in his room, (my bedroom), for a little while, and he is finally beginning to understand that when mom says "no" he better listen or he will have to have a time-out! Bless you for fostering this cat! It will get easier, and maybe you'll even fall in love and decide to make his forever home right where he's at...! Good luck and let us know how it goes!
My now 5 month old kitten Little Bit is learning real well and we use the "NO" but don't yell it. He also gets detention time in the far bedroom when he terrorizes older kitties to much and he minds when we say no. But still working daily with trying to keep him from jumping on tables and counter tops but know that well just take time.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
thanks, branson. I will not foster again. You experienced cat people know better.
You give up to easy. Or maybe you are just afraid you might become - oh horrors - a cat lover!

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-27-2008, 07:52 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
My little calico when she was a baby used to grab my legs with her paws as I walked by. After she hit one years old, she did it less--it'sa baby thing. They normally do all sorts of antics when they're young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats