Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:15 AM

187 posts, read 636,167 times

Advertisements

We will have to move to south california and i have a cat.he is an outdoor very sweet cat,very good educated (evening he comes punctual home to be put in the garage,where he sleeps).I have never moved having a cat.Will he adjust fast?Should i let him immediatelly outside?We live right now in a beautiful green place,he knows all teh area,he is walking around a lot.I do not want him to get lost,if he does not know the new place.But he loves his freedom and i do not want to keep animals inside,he would not like it anymore so or so.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM

167 posts, read 518,027 times
I've moved a lot with cats. Last move was over 2,000. DO NOT LET YOUR CAT OUT at the new place for at least a week or two. KEEP HIM INSIDE. Moving is stressful for people and pets. He needs to get familiar with his new digs (inside the house). Once you feel he's comfortable in his new home, take him outside, but supervise him. Go out with him in the yard and then bring him back in. You'll know when he seems OK with his surroundings. I've lost too many loved cats to outside dangers, so I no longer let my cats outside. Even my outside cats acclimated to being inside just fine. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:44 PM

548 posts, read 1,479,648 times
Can a cat actually get lost? I wonder. My adopted cat escaped the first day I brought him home. I was so worried, drove and walked around the neighborhood for an hour. About five minutes after I went back to the house I heard him meowing on the front porch.

Whether or not your cat adjusts quickly depends on your cat's personality. We recently moved. One of my dogs adjusted without a problem and the other dog took a couple of months.

Good luck with your move. I hope you and your cat will be happy at your new home.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:53 PM

283 posts, read 892,756 times
hmm South California...is that Los Angeles or San Diego area? Lots of cars and busy streets. Your cat may not be used to so many cars around. Please take caution and keep him inside if possible.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:08 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
During the move - keep something that smells like you in the carrier (a robe, t-shirt or towel). It will add a sense of familiarity.

Just open the carrier and don't force him out. Let him adjust on his own time.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I've read that cats can sense the earth's magnetism, like migratory birds. So they need a minimum of a week, but 2 weeks is better, to re-adjust their sense of where they are. Otherwise, many of them get lost and some actually travle great distances to go "home." As another poster said, living in an urban environment is dangerous. If at all possible, after the 2 wks is ovber, keep him inside.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:51 PM

698 posts, read 3,267,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
Can a cat actually get lost? I wonder. My adopted cat escaped the first day I brought him home. I was so worried, drove and walked around the neighborhood for an hour. About five minutes after I went back to the house I heard him meowing on the front porch.

Whether or not your cat adjusts quickly depends on your cat's personality. We recently moved. One of my dogs adjusted without a problem and the other dog took a couple of months.

Good luck with your move. I hope you and your cat will be happy at your new home.
Yes,they definitely can get lost. My neighbor lost one when she moved here a few months ago.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:05 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,036 times
We moved a cat, who was an outsider cat, he was not really a pet, more like a stray that we "re-homed". When we got to his new home, and let him out of the crate, he immediately left. We thought he was lost, but he had gone into a sewer pipe. So, I would suggest keeping the cat in the house, or garage for a few days, until he is familiar with the area.

Of course, the best course of action, is too keep him as a totally indoor pet. But It is better for him to have an outdoor home, than no home at all.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:22 PM

187 posts, read 636,167 times
thanks for all your answers..indoor cat is out of question for me..i have a different european mentality and i am person,who loves liberty and freedom,even for cats...in europe our animals are outdoors animals,they enjoy their liberty and freedom..my cat was as baby indoor cat,but he loves his freedom and i would never punish him to be indoor animal (after he discovered and enjoyed the liberty).. i will defenetely not live in crowdy area,i will live in a nice ,green,safe place like hier in Napa hills..i will fly with him to san diego..
i heart a lot of stories about cats trying to come back home,but i hope my cat is very smart and he will get adjust fast..i will keep him inside first time,but then let him outside with a leash,then totally free...

Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
When my dad died in Florida in 05 and I had to go down to settle the estate, I brought my two dogs and young (2 years old) cat with me. She hid in a guest room for a month under the curtain! Slowly she acclimated to the house, then the screened in lanai, and lastly, after about 2 months, she was brave enough to go out. This was a distance of 1750 miles.

This year, when I brought her to my camper in Maine, I had taken an earlier trip up with the dogs and stayed a few days. When I arrived with her, she settled right in like nothing was out of order at all. I'm convinced it was because the scent of 'her pack' was there already, so she accepted the new living arrangement.

Therefore, my suggestion would be to ask if it's possible to have some of your things already there when you arrive. If it already has the smell of home, there's an easier time to be had for your cats acceptance. At least in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats