Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:55 AM

160 posts, read 321,358 times

Advertisements

I am really hoping that some one some where can give a solution!! I have had my cat, Chelsea for about 5 yrs. I got her when she was just a baby, 6 weeks I believe. She is all trained to use the cat box, and she does use it. HOWEVER, for awhile now she has been urinating on anything comfortable!! On my couches, on laundry on the floor, I tried to make a small bed for my dog and with in minutes she urinated on it. I have my grandson everyother weekend, and he scares her, so when he is here she hides on the dryer. When he is not here she sometimes go up there as well, she went to the bathroom all over my clothes!

I have yelled at her and I have picked her up mid-stream and put her in the cat box. But nothing is making her stop. It is really starting to get out of control. I had to lock her out of my bedroom, as she urinated on my bed more then once.

I have no idea what else I can do. I remember my mother when I was little saying "Once a dirty cat, Always a dirty cat!" I don't want to believe that is true!!

Anyone? Help? I love her to pieces, she is so sweet and lovable, great cuddler. Please any help???
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 AM

42 posts, read 108,070 times
Did she start doing it after the grandson visits started?

Old 10-05-2009, 12:08 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,830 times
She's probably making a statement. It sounds like she wasn't always a dirty cat (I have one who is, unfortunately).

Obviously, get her checked out by the vet to make sure she doesn't have a UTI. It doesn't do any good to yell at cats. You'd have better luck training your grandson to be quiet around the kitty. I assume he's a toddler - cats often find them alarming because they tend to be boisterous and unpredictable. Is there any way possible that you could keep her separate from your grandson during his visits? Or maybe spend more time away from the house (yard, parks, other activities) with your grandson to give kitty a break?

Old 10-05-2009, 12:09 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Have her checked for a UTI...sounds classic. Vet visit asap.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
Vet for a check and then address the other issues from there.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,960 times
Vet vet vet! Sounds like an infection.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 PM

160 posts, read 321,358 times
Default Kitty Breaks... and a definate vet appointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
She's probably making a statement. It sounds like she wasn't always a dirty cat (I have one who is, unfortunately).

Obviously, get her checked out by the vet to make sure she doesn't have a UTI. It doesn't do any good to yell at cats. You'd have better luck training your grandson to be quiet around the kitty. I assume he's a toddler - cats often find them alarming because they tend to be boisterous and unpredictable. Is there any way possible that you could keep her separate from your grandson during his visits? Or maybe spend more time away from the house (yard, parks, other activities) with your grandson to give kitty a break?
I know that it doesn't do any good to yell at the cat, but it makes me let my frustration out, and she just looks at me with that "did you say something" look. LOL. Yes my grandson is a toddler and boisterous and unpredictable, we go out when we can and tend to go for most of the day. It is hard to just stay in the apartment for all of us, he has a lot of energy! I live in a one bedroom apartment, and since she urinates on my bed, the only place she can run to is the dryer. When she does I close the door and he doesn't go near it.
As for the UTI I thought with that it was a small amount of urine that would happen many times through out the day and night? I am going to make an appointment with the vet.

Thank You all so much...Keep the ideas coming..I will take all I can get!!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
Sure anything we can do to help. And keep us posted.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
A UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) will not go away on it's own. She needs a round of meds.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:28 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrieMA View Post
I know that it doesn't do any good to yell at the cat, but it makes me let my frustration out, and she just looks at me with that "did you say something" look. LOL. Yes my grandson is a toddler and boisterous and unpredictable, we go out when we can and tend to go for most of the day. It is hard to just stay in the apartment for all of us, he has a lot of energy! I live in a one bedroom apartment, and since she urinates on my bed, the only place she can run to is the dryer. When she does I close the door and he doesn't go near it.
As for the UTI I thought with that it was a small amount of urine that would happen many times through out the day and night? I am going to make an appointment with the vet.

Thank You all so much...Keep the ideas coming..I will take all I can get!!

I agree with the UTI....and, I have to ask, is her litter box clean? For the UTI--When in pain, the cat remembers that pain being associated with the box, so that is why they try something soft--so it doesnt hurt as bad. They cant tell us, so obviously we have to watch their behavior very closely, and if there is something out of the norm...a red flag should always go up.
I also ask about the litter box being clean cause that is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I dont like to use a dirty potty and I surely dont expect my fur babies to. I have more than one box but I scoop them out daily and I dump them (entire thing)AND scrub the little box inside & out once a week. I know a lot of people who you can smell their litter box as soon as you walk into their home, that usually tells me that the litter box needs more attention. If I kept my litter box dirty, I have no one to blame but myself if they decided to use my couch as their new potty spot. I thought I would ask about that too.
Best to you, please keep us posted!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats