Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times

Advertisements

How much time during the day or evening do you spend playing with your cat? (Not including grooming or napping in your lap).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
It's the other way around...........they play with me!

I'd say about 5 hours a day.

I just peeled one off my back. He thinks I'm a tree.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:09 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
It varies a lot depending on my schedule and their mood.
And do we count the endless time my youngest spends rummaging in the drawer where I keep the wand toys and their attachments, trying to figure out which one he wants to play with?
Sometimes I have to walk away a few steps and pretend to be preoccupied while he "steals" one (which I then get away from him quickly). That helps him make up his mind and adds to the fun of the game for him.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:46 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
ITA with subject2change above--we have three cats, different ages and needs. Our oldest plays more than an after 14-year-old, but his stints are short. A few minutes of zooming around and he's done.

Our other two play a lot together. Our youngest (11 months) needs playtime every day--I use wand toys, toss around a ball or mouse throughout the day, etc.

Part of playtime depends on my schedule. If i'm out of the house part of the evening, I'll be sure to play with the younger two for 15 minutes or so before going to bed. if i'm home all evening, I'll play with the cats as I go about chores (chase them up the stairs, play as I'm sorting laundry, etc). It's fun for them, and adds fun to my chores too!

Old 04-14-2015, 02:50 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Cookie could care less whether she is played with. She only wants to play with me when she's hopped up on catnip. Since I've been working from home most days now, we have a little routine where I take a break a few hours after breakfast, and the cats and I sit on the staircase, they get a little catnip treat and some brushing, and then I'll toss the catnip-infused toy up and down the stairs. That lasts for about a half hour, then they need a nap (it's tough work being so cute!) and I need to get back to work.

Otherwise, she plays on her own. I hear her at night, batting her toys around in the hall or in the dining room.

Checkers, on the other hand, likes me to throw toy mice around the room, he likes his laser pointer, and he loves his cat dancer. I probably spend another hour or so 2 or 3 times a day playing with him. Cookie just watches the same way she watches the dog next door. LOL

Old 04-15-2015, 02:50 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
My girls play on their own quite a bit, like with the Turbo Scratcher, running through house at stop speed going nowhere, attacking dust bunnies, pushing each other's buttons, etc.. Thing is, they seem to take issue if I try to join in the fun. I get the 'what do you think you're doing' look, and they walk off in a huff. They especially don't like my interfering when they're having a 'Hiss & Growl' contest, which they take quite seriously.
I do have an old fishing pole with a short line and a tassle thingy on the end that they like to chase. We spend an hour or so most evenings playing with that. But I need to find a better lure for it... maybe one with feathers on it to hold their attention better. It's the only interactive toy I have that they show any interest in (other than my hands & feet ).

Old 04-15-2015, 04:07 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Yes, pushing each others' buttons! That takes up so much of the day for my cats. This morning, Cookie charged into the bedroom at full speed, with Checkers close behind. She hopped up onto a table, turned around and hissed at Checkers, and then leaped off the table at him. Off they went, down the hall and down the staircase. No doubt a few minutes later the order had reversed again.

Their other "game" is when Cookie sits in the dining room window (the one that overlooks the bird feeders). Checkers leaps up as if to try to cajole her into sharing space on the ledge, but she swats at him and he jumps back down. They do this for 10 or 15 minutes, until Checkers gets bored and/or remembers that there are other windowsills in the house.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:18 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Our 3 prefer to play with each other, I am there to provide food, clean litter boxes, and as their petting machine ! They will sit on our laps when watching tv or on the computer, but mostly, they like to go out on the lanai or nap in the living room.

Don

Old 04-16-2015, 06:44 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
We have our morning and evening grooming and play routine. ShadowCat and SO spend at least an hour grooming/talking while I cook. ChaCha is too scatterbrained to sit still and right now kitty TV aka lots of birds and partially open windows keep her running from one to the other.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:23 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
My old boycat who died several years ago loved to play and I'd spend a couple hours a day with him. If I was busy I'd just drag a string or a small dowel behind me as I walked around the house and he'd follow me pouncing every other step.

My current cat has never enjoyed playing. She'd watch the boycat when we played but if I dangle anything in front of her she just watches. She will rub on a toy that's steeped in catnip but I don't know if that can be called playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats