Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:45 AM

244 posts, read 718,075 times

Advertisements

First- Ella is a healthy 2.5 year old rescued kitty. I have noticed in recent months that her gums have become inflammed. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this with their cat(s)? Is it a problem that can be solved through holistic measures or does she need her teeth cleaned? If it is the latter, anyone have a cost estimate?

Second- Oliver is a healthy 1.5 year old rescued kitty. A couple of days ago I noticed he had a "sore" on his lip- kinda pinkish bubble like. He loves to "rub" and mark(with his face) on everything! He rubs on our cardboard moving boxes, the plastic laundry sorter, the corners of walls, our faces. Is it possible he has just rubbed himself a sore?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 10:07 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
I would say Ella needs to be seen by a vet. Her problem could simple be Gingivitis, but according to my vet book, could also be a sign of a few other disorders. Even if it is a gum infection caused by tarter, it will only get worse without treatment.

With Oliver, if it is bump or scratch it should heal quickly...keep an eye on it that it doesn't change in size, shape or color.
Dylan (Golden) had one that started out as something similar looking on his gum and within days it grew quickly twice the size. It ended up having to be removed surgically.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Shelbygirl!

I was afraid I would have to take Ella to the vet. It's kind of a crappy time of year to shell out a few hundred dollars. I need to find a reasonble vet...

Old 12-21-2009, 10:25 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilientsmile View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Shelbygirl!

I was afraid I would have to take Ella to the vet. It's kind of a crappy time of year to shell out a few hundred dollars. I need to find a reasonble vet...
I feel your pain! But, it may be best all the way around. If it is a gum infection caused by tarter, etc...she is still a youngster, they may not have to do a complete full blown cleaning. Keep us posted.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:52 AM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Resilient--do the kitties ever go outside? If so, they are eating things that they shouldn't (skinks and lizards are murder on a cat's mouth; my kittie's mouth has been inflammed a time or two b/c of skink eating).
If not, I agree with a visit to the vet. In the meantime, I would consider feeding the female more wet than dry to keep the inflammation down.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:05 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Default More canned and raw food

You need to feed your cats more canned and raw food. The dry cat foods are doing a lot of harm to our cats. Cats are obligate carnivores.

Feline nutrition information:Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basic
History of dry food (a must-read article): Cat Nutrition.Org (http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php - broken link)
Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

Meanwhile you need to take your cat to the vet and have her gums checked before she loses her teeth or worse.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:15 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
I'd go to the vet for sure.

I had a cat that had a small boil pop up on her lip. It was so bad she couldn't eat. So we had it removed. We later found out the poor cat had bone cancer and the small boil on her lip was from that. Long story short the cancer had spread.

It could be any number of things with cats. So I know vets are costly...but if the provide you with keeping your buddy isn't that the most priceless gift of all? Truth be know, I'd rather have my three cats then anything else in this world.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Resilient--do the kitties ever go outside? If so, they are eating things that they shouldn't (skinks and lizards are murder on a cat's mouth; my kittie's mouth has been inflammed a time or two b/c of skink eating).
If not, I agree with a visit to the vet. In the meantime, I would consider feeding the female more wet than dry to keep the inflammation down.

They are both on an ALL wet food (Wellness grain free) diet. They are indoor only kitties and have no contact with other animals.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
You need to feed your cats more canned and raw food. The dry cat foods are doing a lot of harm to our cats. Cats are obligate carnivores.

Feline nutrition information:Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basic
History of dry food (a must-read article): Cat Nutrition.Org (http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php - broken link)
Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

Meanwhile you need to take your cat to the vet and have her gums checked before she loses her teeth or worse.

I agree with your post. After visiting that site about a year ago, I made the switch to all wet(Wellness Grain Free). Thanks!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
I'd go to the vet for sure.

I had a cat that had a small boil pop up on her lip. It was so bad she couldn't eat. So we had it removed. We later found out the poor cat had bone cancer and the small boil on her lip was from that. Long story short the cancer had spread.

It could be any number of things with cats. So I know vets are costly...but if the provide you with keeping your buddy isn't that the most priceless gift of all? Truth be know, I'd rather have my three cats then anything else in this world.

I completely agree. Its just a bad time of year, closing on a house next week, Christmas, internship starting in Jan. that is forcing me to quit my job. Anyways, I am gonna get Ella into the vet and keep an eye on Olive's lip.

Oh, and sorry to hear about your kitty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats