Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:42 AM

244 posts, read 718,075 times

Advertisements

Just had to share...

I was walking out to my car this morning(late for work, what else is new). I was stopped in my tracks as I noticed a middle aged man stooped down on the ground, hovering over an animal (presumably a cat). He had his flashers turned on(drove some sort of old tahoe like truck). From what I gathered by observing, he was tending to this cat as it was dying. I didn't see him hit it, but apparently he felt so bad about this animal dying alone. He was on the ground petting it and checking its heartbeat. I didn't know if I should cry or smile. I just didn't think there was any humanity left...

I know some would scream, "Why didn't he rush the cat to the vet?!!" I think perhaps he didn't have the money or maybe knew enough that the cat wouldn't make it...

Sorry if I upset anyone, I just can't stop thinking about it...

Oh, and another theme of this story- KEEP YOUR CAT INSIDE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:08 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Goosebumps and tears. My God, there is some good left in humanity!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
I think that called for smiling through tears.
Here in Boston we have an animal ambulance service that's operated at no cost by one of the shelters. You can dial "0" to get connected to one if there's one in your area. They respond just as rescue teams for humans do after somebody phones 911. A neighbor and I reached them via our city's Animal Control office when a squirrel once fell from an overhead wire and was paralyzed when it hit the sidewalk. A van that was actually labeled "Animal Ambulance" was on the scene within about 15-20 minutes. Since animals can't be trained to use wheelchairs, the gloved attendants gently carried the poor squirrel into the van and took it to the SPCA for euthanization.
Some years ago, I was driving down a busy suburban street at night when I suddenly heard a feline shriek. Fearing the worst, I pulled over as soon as I could (having not seen a cat cross the road in front of me.) There was no sign of any cat in the vicinity. My hope is that s/he - if struck at all - wasn't injured too badly and had a home to find its way back to for help.
Sorry for harping on this particular subject, but good people far FAR outnumber the bad in society. That's why bad news makes it into the media - it's the exception to the rule. By this token I think many more motorists are inclined to stop when they hit or near-miss any creature that runs in front of them too fast for the brakes to engage, than aren't.
One more goyguy anecdote: 12 years or so ago, I moonlighted for a furniture store and sometimes got to be the lucky one who made a delivery or service call after hours. While I was returning from a run to a fairly distant town along a dark and twisting two-lane road, an energetic young dog suddenly dashed in front of me "out of nowhere" right as the van rounded a curve. Fate was kind in that there was no oncoming traffic. I cut the steering wheel to the left as I SLAMMED on the brakes, only to hear a "WHUMP." It was what I call an "oh, sh-t" moment. After steering the van as far off the street as I could and putting the flashers on, I climbed out to search for the pooch. Walking back around the curve, I saw that the dog was OK - he was sitting on the front lawn of a house as two men talked to him and looked to and fro. I strode right over and explained that I'd been the driver who'd collided with the beast, who had the expression on his face that's not called "hangdog" for nothing. Other than a large knot on the top of his head, he was perfectly fine. And his vigorously thumping tail gave away the fact that he'd soon bounce back without a trace of his misadventure.
After telling me that the dog had "never acted like that before and was usually on his dog run" (okeeeee, and he never bites until he does) the guys couldn't thank me enough for stopping. I pointed out what they'd already noticed - the sad face and happy tail - and we all had a good laugh.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Resilientsmile: It's hard not to be upset thinking about the cat, but at least the guy cared. Sometimes I hate cars & trucks because of the roadkill. Poor kitty.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
How sad. This is why our girls will never be indoor-outdoor cats.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/Lottaminya/midFeb10008a.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I can always find examples of humanity in the pet forums.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:15 AM

So- It's been confirmed. On my way home last night I looked at the "scene". Why, oh why did I do this? It was a pretty calico(ish) kitty. It looked like she/he belonged to someone. Poor thing. I had hoped the guy would have taken her/him away after all that, a proper burial perhaps?

side note- my hubby always asks "Why do you look?" I say "Sometimes it's not roadkill, it's a garbage bag or a branch or any number of non- living creature things." When its the latter, I feel relieved....

Old 02-24-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
How sad. This is why our girls will never be indoor-outdoor cats.

cuteness, thanks for doing your part

Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,615 times
Tears running down my face..how sweet that man is - what a decent person. To think my Charley was outside for a whole week! Thank goodness he's home. I'm doing a happy dance this morning!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Sorry for harping on this particular subject, but good people far FAR outnumber the bad in society. That's why bad news makes it into the media - it's the exception to the rule. By this token I think many more motorists are inclined to stop when they hit or near-miss any creature that runs in front of them too fast for the brakes to engage, than aren't.

Don't be sorry, I think you make an excellent point! The ambulance thing sounds really neat.Thanks for the stories! Glad you missed the dog..now if he was on a leash...

Which makes me remember the time I almost "rescued" a dog who was wandering an empty corner lot. That was until, I realized that he belonged to someone who was just "letting him out to use the bathroom"...Save up for a fence people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats