Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:07 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Ok, howdy to my fellow cat lovers!

I've been off the forums for awhile, then I couldn't log in, and had to create a new account. I wish I could re open my old account, under Marylee, perhaps a mod will help me?

Well, this is what happened---remember I'd lost marshmallow, then he just wandered back into our lives? Ok, well, about 2 weeks ago, he got loose again and I went looking for him. I tripped and fell in the street, and broke my pelvis. I laid there half in the road, half on grass, screaming for help, although it was about 9 pm in a well-populated subdivision, no one heard (or perhaps no one wanted to "get involved), fortunately, I had my cell phone. I called 911, but they couldn't ping me, fortunately I was able to give my location. I laid there on the cold hard ground for about an hour before rescus vehicles came--they sent police, fire, and ambulance! I felt like a fool! They almost ran me over because they couldn't see me, I screamed, then they saw the reflecive strips on my shoes.

They took me to the ER, did a CAT scan (hmm...how ironic), found some fractures, gave me a back brace, some pain pills and sent me home. I've been limping aorund ever since then. They said they could do a sacroplasty, they inject a bone putty that helps it heal, but its difficult to manage, so I just limp around.

Meanwhile, Marshmallow does fine! Dang cat! Still, we love the guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 05:28 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
Holy moly, Marylee!
I wonder what the reports wouuld have said had they run you over.. "well, we were on our way to rescue her, when we drove over her.. yeah, don't know how it happened."

All this just from tripping? Yikes. I'm gonna start watching my feet more often. Welcome back, regardless! You've missed a few things. A few of our fellow furbabies have passed on to a better life, make sure you pay your condolences on Rainbow Bridge. - Eger's got a new little rambunctious one - and... we have a new kitty cat chat thread! Where we can all post whatever we want to without straying from a subject that doesn't exist, or hijacking a thread that isn't there yet Stop in and say hi. -oh, and STCardBlues is saving pregnant stray mother cats by the bundle.. got room for a new kitten? hehe.

PS: try sending a private PM to one of the mods, they can change your name, or reinstante your account (unless you did something wrong ) Did you ever end up finding Marshmellow again? By the sounds of it, you might wanna get him a GPS locator collar if he keeps up with this!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:38 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Dang! Glad you are okay. That is scary.

I am recovering from back surgery and not supposed to do much so my husband is always yelling at me because I try taking out trash or doing other household stuff without my cell phone in my pocket. I think I will pay attention to him now. I would hate to be mistaken for a speed bump in the street.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 PM

I guess moral to the story---always carry a cell phone, and do dress for the weather, regardless if you think you'll just be out for a few minutes, well, people have been locked out and froze to death in such situations. Cats don't freeze to death, they have fur, we don't!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:15 PM

Wow, when the pain pills wear off I really hurt! I work at home, so fortunately I can keep up with that. I can't bend over from the waist, so I can't bend down to tend to the cats. My dh works in another city and just comes home on weekends, so he set me up with an automatic cat feeder and water dispenser and a littermate, it works ok. I'm just set up with frozen dinners and a microwave, and I do have a cleaning lady 1x week.

Ok, so the cats are fine, they can always eat my decaying body if I starve to death, at least they will have a food source, good thing I didn't go on that diet! What a prediciment!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,595 times
Holy cow. Glad you are ok. How did you find the cat this time?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
Holy cow. Glad you are ok. How did you find the cat this time?

How did I find the cat? He came up to me, I bent over to get him and lost my balance. I'm not too steady on my feet to begin with, I have an artificial hip, and I just lost my balance. marshmallow just sniffed around me, like what are you doing down here? Then he went back home!

BTW, I have a 12-year old daughter, she was home, didn't hear a thing, when the paramedics came they went inside to get her, they said she was dancing in her room with the door shut. What a shock, to look and see a policewoman there! We had no choice but to bring her with us. One word to wise---ambulances take you to the hospital, they don't bring you home, you're on your own. I just happened to have about $200 cash, took a taxi home, cost $58. Guess always carry cash and a cell phone, what a night we had. I really should have stayed in the hospital, they loaded me up on dialaudid then sent me home, I felt ok (who wouldn't with all that?) then it wore off and I was in screaming agony. Oh, well, the cat's ok!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Those darn cats...I have never injured myself but I have had cats get loose and gone through some hysterics to find them.

I hope you feel better soon. I can't imagine how painful this must be.
Maybe holding your kitty and stroking his fur will help you take your mind off of it.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
On the subject of logging on: the TO's previous screen name was marylee54. Usually when you've forgotten your password you can type in the screen name, then click on a prompt for a password reminder or re-set. Try it!
What I do is use the setting that allows me to stay logged in until I sign off the site. Between five name/password combos to remember at work and untold numbers of them on the Internet at home, this is a lifesaver. You're automatically "inactive" after an hour or so, but the information is stored for next time and all you have to do is click on the "enter forum" link.
IMHO there's too much stressing going on every time Marshmallow gets out. He's proven that his homing instinct works just fine, and that he knows whose home is his now. That's not to say I didn't have plenty of worry whenever Weasie, in her adventurous younger years, would traipse out the door and not return the first time she was called. She was only wandering around sowing whatever oats youthful spayed cats have to sow. And there was the one incident which found me combing the neighborhood in a snowstorm for close to two hours before I found her safe under the porch of a house around the corner. Once I saw how intelligent and resourceful she'd been - and once everybody for blocks around knew who she was - the anxiety disappeared. To this day, at the age of seventeen-and-a-half, Weeze still keeps one vanishing act up her sleeve. With a network of good catsitters available, I'm able to let her stay home when I go out of town. But she still takes offense over my absence, and shows it when I'm back (at least in warmer weather) by promptly leaving the house and only returning when she darn well pleases. Knowing that this is how she is, I don't waste any energy calling her let alone canvassing the area. After 2-3 hours she unfailingly comes back, satisfied that I've been given a taste of my own medicine.
I'm not suggesting that Marshmallow be given total free rein if the intent is to keep him indoors. But cats have it in them to maintain an independent streak, so he's not likely to answer a summons by immediately bounding in the door. He'll make his way back when he's good and ready. And that behavior will diminish with age.
BTW I thought there was a child in this household, the St Francis or Dr Doolittle son who was attentive to "Mike" in that cat's final days and suggested the memorial rosebush for him and was the one who spotted Marshmallow and coaxed him back into the house. Maybe this "child" is actually a boarding-school or college student who lives away from home, or is a grown-up out on his own. It's neither here nor there, but it sounded like marylee54/II was left to her own devices. With things as they are I hope there are some "Kitty Data" types who live nearby and might be able to drop in. I work from home also; one of the few negative aspects of it is the isolation from other people it brings. The extra time with Weasie is great, particularly since she's this far along in life, but real conversation with other people in their presence is now lacking for five days out of the week. So I can sympathize 100% with that scenario.
Get well soon! And good luck with "restoring your identity."

Old 02-16-2010, 11:48 PM

The "child" involved is living with Dad, we're seperated, so I guess the cats are my only real companions. That with working from home I am isolated, but a cat isn't a human for companionship. I've learned to just open the pet door and let him go, he comes back when he pleases, just like the rest of my "family". I was frantic when he went missing around Christmas but I've learned to not worry, he is resourceful. I can't do much now with my broken pelvis anyways, I feel liike some old lady who should be put in a nursing home and stop being a burden on others, although I should recover, and I'm only 55, you find out what you've got when you have nothing and no one but a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats