Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:20 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times

Advertisements

Foster kitties are still with me. One is doing exceptionally well, (no more blowing bubbles from her nose, only sneezing occationally, eating well, affectionate and getting very bright and lively). I'm worried about the other one. She is now off her food. I'm also concerned about hydration (for both kidney health and to keep that mucas thinned out enough for her to expel it). I did a "skin rebound test" and she appears to still be reasonably hydrated. However, she is lethargic, apathetic and still has discharge from her nose. I had my stethoscope on her chest this morning and her lungs still sound clear. There are also good rumbles in her belly so her digestive tract is also active. I've been slowly giving her water through a small syringe (approx 6 ml every couple of hours) hoping that will help her. She has urinated today so her kidneys are functioning. She is also still on the antibiotics my vet prescribed for both cats last week.

Obviously she will be at my vet's doorstep 1st thing tomorrow morning if there is not a marked improvement. For today though, does anyone have any suggestions on anything else I can be doing to help her? I would like to get some food into her but I have no experience on how to do that. I'm hesitant to use the "food on the nose" trick I've used on dogs since she is so congested.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:31 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Rather than plain water, why not give her Cat Replacement milk? At least she'd be getting some nourishment.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Rather than plain water, why not give her Cat Replacement milk? At least she'd be getting some nourishment.
I appreciate the response but these are 3 y/o cats. I've done some reading this morning and milk replacement is not something that would ever be advisable for an adult cat.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:25 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I appreciate the response but these are 3 y/o cats. I've done some reading this morning and milk replacement is not something that would ever be advisable for an adult cat.
I'm not sure if you're thinking of something else. I think the poster is talking about Kitty Milk. It's a digestible milk for cats of all ages if I remember right. It comes in a little purple box, looks like the juice boxes you see in the grocery store.

You could try some baby food, all meat for the cat. I use baby food for my cats when they need medicine(I hide the medicine in the baby food). So far I've never had a cat turn down baby food. If the cat eats the baby food you can gradually add in their regular food with it till they're back to eating just cat food.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I'm not sure if you're thinking of something else. I think the poster is talking about Kitty Milk. It's a digestible milk for cats of all ages if I remember right. It comes in a little purple box, looks like the juice boxes you see in the grocery store.

You could try some baby food, all meat for the cat. I use baby food for my cats when they need medicine(I hide the medicine in the baby food). So far I've never had a cat turn down baby food. If the cat eats the baby food you can gradually add in their regular food with it till they're back to eating just cat food.
Problem is that this kitty is turning her nose up at anything I've offered. I actually tried baby food last night. Todays assortment of choices included canned tuna, canned salmon, pureed chicken thights as well as an assortment of cat foods and she just doesn't feel well enough to eat. I've never heard of "kitty milk" but I'm familiar with "milk replacement". It is usually given to either kittens or a lactating momma kitty. What I read is that its a suppliment for the vitamins and minerals kittens get from nursing and that the momma loses from nursing. I'll see if I can find Kitty Milk. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:44 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
I second the baby food suggestion... hopefully she will eat this. Poor baby. Thanks you for all you do for these cats!!!

forum rules, please read them

Old 05-23-2010, 01:34 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,363 times
Quote:
Problem is that this kitty is turning her nose up at anything I've offered. I actually tried baby food last night. Todays assortment of choices included canned tuna, canned salmon, pureed chicken thights as well as an assortment of cat foods and she just doesn't feel well enough to eat. I've never heard of "kitty milk" but I'm familiar with "milk replacement". It is usually given to either kittens or a lactating momma kitty. What I read is that its a suppliment for the vitamins and minerals kittens get from nursing and that the momma loses from nursing. I'll see if I can find Kitty Milk. Thanks for the suggestion.
I've seen the Kitty milk at Pet Smart and a few grocery stores. Have you tried heating up the food? How about sardines? Another thing to get some nutrients in her is NutraCal, comes in a tube and is supposed to help stimulate their appetite. I have 6 cats and 3 of them would take you down for the NutraCal. Hang tough, it sounds like you're doing a great job.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:49 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,302 times
Was she eating yesterday? What I'm trying to determine is how long it's been since she's eaten of her own accord. And the reason I'm trying to determine this is whether or not you should try to syringe feed her.

While it drives us humans nuts, if an animal stops eating, there's a reason and sometimes it's better to listen and "obey" the animal's instinct while other times we need to over-ride it for the well-being of the animal. But from your post I can't tell if she ate for some days post vet and it's only within the last day she's quit, or if it's been an ongoing thing.

Has she pooped? If so... what consistency? Now, the one thing you need to bear in mind is that cats can go without pooping for W-A-Y longer than dogs. So I don't want you to panic if she hasn't.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:18 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Default Whooops!

Quote:
Sorry. I thought you were talking about kittens. I confused you with another poster.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Well - I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the convalecent tunnel. Bella went to the vet yesterday morning for subcutanious fluids and for a breathing treatment. She had lost a pound since last Wednesday and even with my efforts to give her watter all day Sunday she was dehydrated. The breathing treatment and fluids helped tremendously. She is now again sneezing all that junk out of her nose. Yup its gonna be a "clean up on aisle 7" when they leave and before I'd let any guest stay in that room I'm doing spot cleaning of course but I don't want to use any cleaning solvents around them. Bella is eating both the baby food offered and the chicken puree. (Thanks FiveHorses for that recipe. The system won't let me rep ya again)

Nala is recovering very well! She is a very "in your face" cat in an affectionate way and all of her personality is now shining through. Heaven knows she has no problem with her appetite. I have to separate them at feeding times or Nala will push Bella off the food.

With hope and a little more TLC maybe they can leave to get back to their family next week! I have to say, I'm finding it kinda fun having kitties around. I had forgotten what it was like to wake up in the morning going cross eyed looking at the purring face 1 inch off your nose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats