Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 PM

684 posts, read 1,151,105 times

Advertisements

Too much whining from the Hollywood folks about Ricky Gervais' jokes at the Golden Globes. They were hilarious, and if the sycophant-surrounded celebs can't take it, too bad. They wanted an edgy comic, and got one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Had he actually been funny, I don't think that the push-back would be this loud. But he wasn't funny, he came across like the nasty, sharp-tongued drunk at a dinner party.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
they knew his kind of humor when they hired him. nothing new to his audience either.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Had he actually been funny, I don't think that the push-back would be this loud. But he wasn't funny, he came across like the nasty, sharp-tongued drunk at a dinner party.
You are 100% correct, the jokes were just not funny.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Had he actually been funny, I don't think that the push-back would be this loud. But he wasn't funny, he came across like the nasty, sharp tongued drunk at a dinner party.
(bolding mine) I agree. I don't like this kind of comedy anyway. I never could stand Don Rickles. There have been times when I have watched a bit of Kathy whatshername,(d listed) but, it always left me kind of squirming.....

Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
(bolding mine) I agree. I don't like this kind of comedy anyway. I never could stand Don Rickles. There have been times when I have watched a bit of Kathy whatshername,(d listed) but, it always left me kind of squirming.....

Kathy Griffin. You know what, I always wondered why celebs gave her such a hard time but they just loooooove Joan Rivers who talks about them just as badly

Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 AM

18 posts, read 47,859 times
Oh I think the whole thing is a ruse. They were ALL in on it. Forget JFK conspiracy theories. H'weird just LOOOVES publicity. The whole town is a big, fat, post-coital smoking *****. OF COURSE they knew he would insult them and then they 'pretended' to get upset, both in the audience and on the stage. I sincerely hope people don't really think Gervais insulted anyone. It's all good to those 'whores,' I mean actors.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookLover08 View Post
Oh I think the whole thing is a ruse. They were ALL in on it.
I am not sure this was a rehearsed arrangement like Eminem at the MTV awards, but it's true that everyone (including Tim Allen) went along for the ride.
Same as last year.
Gervais says so in his blog, which I posted in the Movies forum thread.
Here is a link with various actor celebrities defending him.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookLover08 View Post
Oh I think the whole thing is a ruse. They were ALL in on it. Forget JFK conspiracy theories. H'weird just LOOOVES publicity. The whole town is a big, fat, post-coital smoking *****. OF COURSE they knew he would insult them and then they 'pretended' to get upset, both in the audience and on the stage. I sincerely hope people don't really think Gervais insulted anyone. It's all good to those 'whores,' I mean actors.
I totally agree. Who cares if they were insulted or not? Or if he was funny or not? The bottom line is, they got publicity. It is now on peoples minds.
They know how the human brain works, trust me. It doesn't matter what the content was, all that matters is that people either watched, or are talking about it the next day around the watercooler.
The whole "biz" these days is selling, for the most part.
Sure, there are the odd few that are in it for the art, but for the most part, it's a constant process to keep the box office, VOD and DVD sales going. That's it.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:13 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
These celebutards yuk it up enough when Bush or some other conservative politician takes it on the chin. The least they can do is take some of their own medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities