Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:47 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times

Advertisements

I think Martha Stewart was put in jail for something relatively minor compared to the crimes by some Wall St. types who practically brought down the entire country. I'm sympathetic.

But I think Rachel Ray is such a sweetheart and just a naturally fine person.

Maybe it's just time for Martha to hang it up and find something else to do with her obsessive compulsive life?

Giant helping of frosting when dueling domestic divas Martha Stewart and Rachael Ray bump into each other at hot eaterie - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Rachel Ray's voice annoys me and I've never really followed Martha.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 AM

Rachel Ray seems not to be like other cooking instruction shows in that she generally uses produce and goods found in your local supermarket and gives you interesting and satisfying ways to prepare them in relatively short time. She gives tips on how to pick out what and is not horrified at using canned broth. Her meals are not all high caloried, breaded and fried horrors, either. She has an easy and natural charm about her.

You'd think that I watch her often, but I do not.
I used to watch Martha.
She was imprisoned for purchasing a stock on advice of a friend who evidently had information on the company's fortunes before the public did.

Do you know that insider trading is legal for Congress? Everyone in the US can be imprisoned for it, yet our Congress people get rich from these guys in Wall St doing 'favors' for them.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:49 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I was never a big Martha fan, nothing to do with her incarceration, she always seemed to have a superior attitude.

I watched Rachael on the regular for some time, and picked up some really good recipes (think Stuffin' Muffins) and ideas. Then I grew weary of hearing her say "E.V.O.O." followed immediately by the translation, "extra virgin olive oil". And labeling every sandwich a "sammy" and every stew a "stoop". So now I tune in periodically just to see if she still has the same annoying habits. She does.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I was never a big Martha fan, nothing to do with her incarceration, she always seemed to have a superior attitude.

I watched Rachael on the regular for some time, and picked up some really good recipes (think Stuffin' Muffins) and ideas. Then I grew weary of hearing her say "E.V.O.O." followed immediately by the translation, "extra virgin olive oil". And labeling every sandwich a "sammy" and every stew a "stoop". So now I tune in periodically just to see if she still has the same annoying habits. She does.
I don't see RR often enough to make that observation.
There is a big scandal about almost all olive oil being very diluted with other oils that do not have the health benefit, but otherwise you can't tell the difference. My husband says California and Australia have very strict laws and their OO can be trusted, but my supermarkets don't seem to have them.

Yes. I think Martha appeals middle class women who wish or like to pretend that they were to the manor born. She makes me uneasy when she tries to act too middle class. She's much more entertaining, in my book, when she is her naturally haughty self. I had to laugh when she had all those programs filmed at her home. She must have a seizable staff to take care of that place, but you never saw them milling around, 'doing' for her.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:11 PM

649 posts, read 1,132,659 times
Rachel Ray is cute

Old 03-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
Rachel Ray is cute
I agree. She seems so natural and unaffected. Kind of an opposite of Ms.Stewart, though I like both of them.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
The only thing I don't like about Rachel Ray is that she said once that she didn't like shy people. Not everybody can be bubbly and outgoing so that seemed kind of narrow-minded of her. That said, she has a fun show on CBS and I usually enjoy watching it.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't see RR often enough to make that observation.
There is a big scandal about almost all olive oil being very diluted with other oils that do not have the health benefit, but otherwise you can't tell the difference. My husband says California and Australia have very strict laws and their OO can be trusted, but my supermarkets don't seem to have them.

Yes. I think Martha appeals middle class women who wish or like to pretend that they were to the manor born. She makes me uneasy when she tries to act too middle class. She's much more entertaining, in my book, when she is her naturally haughty self. I had to laugh when she had all those programs filmed at her home. She must have a seizable staff to take care of that place, but you never saw them milling around, 'doing' for her.
I agree with the above - I liked her old formet/show much more , when it was just her being bossy! I record her show now and just watch the intro to see if anything she's going to be doing interests me. I have a hard time watching her with her guests because she is just so rude to them

RR never appealed to me

Old 03-05-2012, 05:46 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Do you know that insider trading is legal for Congress? Everyone in the US can be imprisoned for it, yet our Congress people get rich from these guys in Wall St doing 'favors' for them.
Insider trading is legal for Congress? Not any more...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/03/us...-congress.html

Quote:
Senate Approves Ban on Insider Trading by Congress

By ROBERT PEAR

Published: February 2, 2012

WASHINGTON — The Senate passed a sweeping new ethics bill on Thursday that would ban insider trading by members of Congress and require prompt disclosure of stock transactions by lawmakers and by thousands of officials in the executive branch of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities