Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:31 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,595,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just as an example:

I pass the newstand every so often in the grocery store and see Patrick Swayze dying bit by bit and it's hard to see. (My wife went the same way so I've seen the progression like this first hand).

For the people that buy these magazines, watch TMZ etc. don't you ever feel a little *wrong* in that your essentially paying people to spy on celebrities or sit around making catty comments about how fat Kirstie Ally is getting or interviewing the brother of the gal that slept with that octuplets dad about what noises his sister was making when she worked him over?

I picked up on the above topics just by glancing at tabloid covers or hearing stuff at lunch from co-workers and it just seems a little dirty at times.

How do you feel?

For some reason, I got interested in the story of the UK reality star Jade Goody as she struggled with cervical cancer. It really was a morbid sort of fascination, checking the news each day to see if she'd died yet.
Not that I wanted her to; I hoped the best for her, but for some reason I just couldn't stop reading the daily tabloid articles about her declining health. I really did feel pretty bad about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,557,994 times
Cool you had to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Don't you sometimes feel a little dirty?
i'm pro'lly goin' straight to you-know-where!

kate

Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,289,082 times
I don't mind watching someone get older.....since I've went through that myself. But I really hate watching someone die slowly in the press.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:23 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,916,621 times
Some celebrities retain their draw power while still maintaining their privacy. Tom Hanks is one that comes to mind.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,557,994 times
Patrick's gone today. Only 57!!!!

Kirstie Allie (sp?) - I've always thought she was so cute & feel sympathy for her 'issues'. It must be hard for her to take - all the bad press.

Jane Goody - she put herself in the spotlight with her big mouth & then had a terrible end. Really sad.

MJ: never had any interest until he died. Believed the media (which is actually against my personal religion! grievious mea culpa here). Then when he died, I wanted to know all about his kids etc. For awhile there were more & more videos on youtube about him & his kids. Very enlightening. He was a ***** sort but probably not the monster he was made out to be. The kids are little puppets but very cute indeed. I admit an ongoing fascination. I think that MJ had a lot of severe depression over the bad press: imagine if millions of people hated you! It would be overwhelming! So many people were glad when he died! I was neutral, although overwhelmed with curiousity. I think his doctors unwittingly led him to his demise.

Guess I'm guilty of the dirty deed but I gave up guilt in first grade hehehe when i learned what it was called (catholic school!). Nosy is my middle name! I could form a nosy neighbor committee. In fact that's one of my daughter's nick names for me.

I just came back to edit & saw that the system has a parental control for so called 'bad' words! *Tim Allen HUH?* Q****. Just in case you were wondering. And it has more than one connotation. Jeez!

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 09-15-2009 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: since i saw the system edit i've forgotten my original mission hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities