Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times

Advertisements

Just as an example:

I pass the newstand every so often in the grocery store and see Patrick Swayze dying bit by bit and it's hard to see. (My wife went the same way so I've seen the progression like this first hand).

For the people that buy these magazines, watch TMZ etc. don't you ever feel a little *wrong* in that your essentially paying people to spy on celebrities or sit around making catty comments about how fat Kirstie Ally is getting or interviewing the brother of the gal that slept with that octuplets dad about what noises his sister was making when she worked him over?

I picked up on the above topics just by glancing at tabloid covers or hearing stuff at lunch from co-workers and it just seems a little dirty at times.

How do you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 01:45 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
If I have to wait in line and the tabloids are there I read the headlines and wonder what type of people compile such garbage.

Once there was a particularly annoying sitcom starring Tea Leoni, IIRC, as a photographer employed by a tabloid. A few minutes of that sitcom really made my skin crawl.

I sometimes feel I struggle to cling to what little bit of decency/values I have, being an older Boomer. I understand how the culture has changed and that there is a somewhat more callous regard for ideals. That sounds like something an 'Old' person would say--I guess I am.

My brother also died of cancer and I know enough about the process of dying. It is private and personal.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
I admit I bought the issue of Us with Jon Gosselin and the other woman leaving the bar. Other than that, I really try never to buy that stuff.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:47 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,847,993 times
Usually I figure they're celebrities so they know everyone's looking at them, and a lot of them love that. If you want to be an actress or a singer, for example, you must know a lot of attention is going to come along with the job. However in a case like Patrick Swayze, it is none of our business how he is doing. I am curious about it but I would totally understand if there were no pictures or information about him available. We don't need to know how John Travolta's family is doing after the son died, either. If it is a sad situation I would prefer that they let celebs have their privacy, but if it's the relationship and baby drama of Britney, she's such a mess to begin with that I can't feel sorry for her.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:59 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,339,147 times
I never understood why we have to know everything about celebrities.
It may be ok to some extent,like who got married,who had a baby and so on. But why do they need to go through peoples garbage?
Why do they need to cause traffic accidents just to get a reaction?
I support all celebrities that punch a photographer.
Another thing I don't understand is why we are supposed to despise them and laugh at them for being fat,ugly bastards like the rest of us and then admire them like gods when they appear on the red carpet.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
We have whole forums here dedicated to celebrity and in fairness the coverage of celebrities can run the range. I guess that seeing Swayze progressively die I found appalling. If I'd ever bought one of those before I would have stopped.

Hey, my good friend that I had lunch with yesterday buys them...they are a guilty pleasure of hers...we discussed this at lunch yesterday.

Then there are the really tacky catty stuff like the god-awful TMZ tv show I saw while flipping channels. Really junior high stuff about people getting fat and getting cheated on suffering other hardships.

Oh well, Swayze and Farah won't be around in a month (likely) so then they will find a new dying celebrity to stalk.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just as an example:

I pass the newstand every so often in the grocery store and see Patrick Swayze dying bit by bit and it's hard to see.
It *is* hard to see.
And all the other stuff: who is cheating, who has cellulite, who is anorexic, etc.
But while I don't buy that stuff, I will read at least some of it online or in magazines.
Celebrity obsession has been going on a long time--google "death masks" and you'll see how well-known folks have been hounded right to the grave, and then afterward.
I have these wacky newspapers that my great-grandma saved, full of juicy turn-of-the-century gossip--the media has been selling us scandal for years and years, and we can't seem to get enough.
As Trustme says, with fame and fortune comes media coverage. Truly, all of us die alone, but if you're someone famous, your illness and demise will be exhaustively recorded.
How ironic that it takes a new president to lift the ban on photos of America's war dead, while a trip to the grocery store shows us more than we really need to see.
However, the right attitude can be transformative.
I so admire Randy Pausch.
He died way too young, but his positive attitude was such an inspiration.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,644,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just as an example:

I pass the newstand every so often in the grocery store and see Patrick Swayze dying bit by bit and it's hard to see. (My wife went the same way so I've seen the progression like this first hand).

For the people that buy these magazines, watch TMZ etc. don't you ever feel a little *wrong* in that your essentially paying people to spy on celebrities or sit around making catty comments about how fat Kirstie Ally is getting or interviewing the brother of the gal that slept with that octuplets dad about what noises his sister was making when she worked him over?

I picked up on the above topics just by glancing at tabloid covers or hearing stuff at lunch from co-workers and it just seems a little dirty at times.

How do you feel?

Seems people with too much time on their hands get into this kind of addiction. Takes ongoing effort to steer the "soul" away from all the prolific garbage thrown at us by a voracious media. Just say "no" to saprophytes!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
In general I think invasive attention is the trade-off for money and fame. And I do not feel sorry for celebrities who call attention to themselves. But I draw the line at a$$hole spies peering into their private property, and at situations like Patrick Swayze.

The paparazzi and scandal rags have no soul.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post

The paparazzi and scandal rags have no soul.
I agree with you, but the sad truth is that there are two guilty parties: the paparazzi would never do what they do it if it did not sell.
Somebody is clicking on TMZ, and buying those idiotic newspapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities