Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:51 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times

Advertisements

I think I am going to move into an Android phone, but I can't decide which one to get and could use some help deciding. I currently have a VZN blackberry, an aircard and my wife shares time on my plan with a basic phone. I would like to get an andriod Smartphone, replace my wife's phone and the aircard (or at somehow maintain the ability to get online remotely.) The android would be linked to my work email and personal email accounts as well. I travel frequently (40-50%) for work. I am looking for a phone to manage email and also use as an entertainment device when I am travelling - watch movies, play games, surf the net, etc. - and, oh yeah, make phone calls

Couple points for the Sprint EVO: I live in a market where Sprint is turning on 4G in 30 days. I think I could use the EVO as a hotspot and get rid of my laptop aircard (Saving $50/month). Big beautiful screen for entertainment purposes. Probably cheaper then VZN (Although I expense my bill to my employer, I still want to be a good steward of company $$)

Against : Sprint's customer service. I went into the Sprint store yesterday to look at the phone and the lady at the counter could not answer some fairly basic questions i had and the tech she kept going to to get answers would not assist either of us. Brought back bad memories of the same crappy customer service that caused me to leave Sprint 2 years ago -ugh. Also concerned about the quality of the network. Battery life on EVO is said to be pretty bad.

For the VZN Droid: Best network. All the bells and whistles do you no good if you can't get a signal. I have never had an issue with signal strength with VZN, even when co-workers who have Sprint of AT&T don't get a signal. Also VZN offers several handsets to choose from, including one with a slide out keyboard, which I think my fat fingers will do better with then with a touch screen.

Against: Pricier. No 4G. Have to keep the aircard - more $$ spent.

Anyine have experience with any of these factors - the phones, Sprint's 4G, plans, etc. Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 03:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
A few additional things:

Battery life on Droid is about the same as the EVO

Sprint has unlimited mobile to mobile (which in my opinion is unmatched)

Sprint roams on Verizon network. I wouldn't be worried about coverage... especially in a 4g area.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
You know, I've never understood the point of an aircard when phones are perfectly capable of doing the same thing... plus, you can still use it as a phone. Plus, aren't those aircards considerably more expensive than other line on the plan? I've been using PDAnet on my Android since the day I got it. AFAIK, any Android phone can use it.

You mentioned that you were looking at Verizon because they have models with keyboards? So does Sprint. Just as Motorola's line on Verizon have keyboards, Samsung's line on Sprint have keyboards.

Battery life: That's the downside to these phones is that the battery life is pretty miserable - especially if you're playing a lot of media.

No matter which you choose, the phone itself will run close to the same with the same apps and features available. It really comes down to the company's coverage and customer service as to which you choose.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
I have to carry my charger everywhere for my droid

Im thinking about upgrading to the largery battery

Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Want a Keyboard? Droid2.
Don't? EVO. Period.

They are both excellent but IMO edge to Evo.
HTC interface is quite a bit nicer then Motorola's.

Re: Battery Life. FACT: no standard battery will go more then a day in any phone without needing plugged in if you use it alot. iPhone, BB's including the Torch, And Droid-type phone. All the same in this regard. Get a car charger. Also keep in mind they are charged when plugged into a laptop. So if you are at the airport and want to juice it up a bit you always have that option.
Don't shop based on battery life.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
I use the EPIC - I love this frigging thing...it's basically the EVO with the Keyboard and the screen kills the Droids and the Evos...I mean this thing just Pops out at you.....

NYC just turned on 4G offically today, but I've had it for a few weeks now while it was in test...and man 4G is the Truth, the speeds are blowing away anything i could get on 3G...

I used to have Verizon 2 years ago, switched to Sprint and haven't looked back...Was tired of Verizon's wallet raping (which is why they're ordered by the government to pay back 90mil to their subscibers)....You cannot beat Sprint on Coverage and Pricing combined...It's the best.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:01 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
I've had Sprint for 7 years, and just upgraded to the Evo last month. I shopped around for a LONG time before buying the Evo, even to go to another carrier like Verizon, but no one comes even close to the $$$ you'll save at Sprint. The data plan is only $10/mo. and it's unlimited EVERYTHING. I couldn't find anything like that at Verizon.

Every year anniversary, Sprint gives you $150 off any phone. I got this Evo for half price because of that!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:48 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,280 times
Customized Evo all the way. I love this phone, plus you can root and get tethering for free instead of paying 30 dollars a month. I just want 4G in my city!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Customized Evo all the way. I love this phone, plus you can root and get tethering for free instead of paying 30 dollars a month. I just want 4G in my city!
How do you do that Do tell!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
How do you do that Do tell!!!
You don't even need to root. There's apps on the market like PDAnet that'll do the job. Though, rooting a phone is the way to go for full customization (including removal of all pre-installed bloatware).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones