Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,132 times

Advertisements

The carriers are beginning to release earnings reports for the second quarter of 2011. Verizon and AT&T have already published theirs. Sprint's is due on 7/28. Rumors abound that Sprint is getting ready to post one of their worst quarters in history. But then again, when HASN'T Sprint been a juicy rumor target? T-Mobile's earnings statement is due shortly as well.

Right out of the gate, it looks like Verizon added about twice as many customers as AT&T, while AT&T staggers under a high-and-rising churn rate.

Verizon Wireless
: Verizon Q2 earnings top estimates; CEO will step down

2.2 million net adds. 106.3 million total connections. Excludes acquisitions.

$27.5 billion in revenue, up 2.8% from 2Q10, with service revenue up 6.6% and data revenue up 22.2% for the same period. ARPU is up 9.4% to $52.49.

Churn at 0.89%.

LTE currently ahead of schedule and available in 102 markets. Revised schedule calls for an additional 73 markets within the next six months.

AT&T: AT&T revenue up 2.2% in Q2; 3.6 million iPhones activated

1.1 million net adds. 98.6 million total connections

$31.5 billion in revenue (consolidated across wireless, wireline, and managed services), up 2.2% from 2Q10. Data revenue up 23.4% over 2Q10. ARPU up 2% to $63.87.

Churn increased to 1.43%. Was 1.29% in 2Q10.

No mention of 4G or LTE deployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 AM

The rumors were true. Sprint's earnings report is not so hot. There is some good news, however - Sprint officially confirmed that they are beginning to transition from WiMax to LTE.

Sprint: Sprint reports big Q2 loss as it sheds 101,000 postpaid subs

1.1 million net adds. 52.1 million total connections.

$8.3 billion in revenue, up 4% from 2Q10. This is significant because it reflects an $827 million net loss, 11% worse than the 2Q10 loss. ARPU is up 4% from $55 to $57.

Churn "improved" to 1.75%.

LTE deployment announced, in partnership with LightSquared. This confirms the long-running rumors that Sprint would drop WiMax and move to LTE.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 AM

With Sprint's financial hemorrhaging appearing to never end, does anyone else get the impression that they were absolutely banking on buying / merging with T-Mobile? If so, any bets on how long until Verizon buys them out?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 PM

519 posts, read 603,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
The rumors were true. Sprint's earnings report is not so hot. There is some good news, however - Sprint officially confirmed that they are beginning to transition from WiMax to LTE.

Sprint: Sprint reports big Q2 loss as it sheds 101,000 postpaid subs
LTE deployment announced, in partnership with LightSquared. This confirms the long-running rumors that Sprint would drop WiMax and move to LTE.
I think that's being a bit premature and not exactly what they stated. They announced that they would host Lightsquared's LTE network and possibly lease access from it. Things are still in a state of flux. They will be officially detailing their own 4G plans on October 7.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk

Old 07-28-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
I think that's being a bit premature and not exactly what they stated. They announced that they would host Lightsquared's LTE network and possibly lease access from it. Things are still in a state of flux. They will be officially detailing their own 4G plans on October 7.
You are correct in that they didn't come out and say "we are dropping WiMax and moving forward exclusively with LTE". However, when I read between the lines, this is exactly what I'm seeing.

Specifically, what benefit would they see by simultaneously supporting two competing platforms? Each one requires considerable cost from the carrier as well as extensive support from the equipment vendors on both the consumer and network side of things. Why not simply settle on one? Between LTE's predominance around the world and Sprint's announcement that they will begin a partnership on the LTE side of the fence, it just doesn't make financial sense to support both platforms any longer than absolutely necessary.

So my statement was looking a bit forward, but I'm willing to bet it will ring true sometime within the next two or three quarters.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 PM

519 posts, read 603,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
You are correct in that they didn't come out and say "we are dropping WiMax and moving forward exclusively with LTE". However, when I read between the lines, this is exactly what I'm seeing.
Nothing at all wrong with reading between the lines. However, when you use terms like "confirmed", that doesn't exactly jibe with 'reading between the lines' imo.

Quote:
Specifically, what benefit would they see by simultaneously supporting two competing platforms? Each one requires considerable cost from the carrier as well as extensive support from the equipment vendors on both the consumer and network side of things. Why not simply settle on one?
Hard to say. The beauty of their Network Vision project and its multimodal base stations is that the expense of utilizing different air interfaces is largely negated supposedly. The following slide shows that they have considered or are considering incorporating both interfaces on the 2.5GHz spectrum:

Quote:
So my statement was looking a bit forward, but I'm willing to bet it will ring true sometime within the next two or three quarters.
Quite possibly. More will be revealed October 7, stay tuned...

Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 AM

T-Mobile just checked in with mixed results. 50,000 net sub loss, mind-blowing churn, and a bump in data revenue.

T-Mobile: T-Mobile loses 50,000 subscribers in Q2, reports revenue decline

Net loss of 50,000 subscribers -- worst of the big four. 33.6 million connections.

$4.6 billion in revenue, down 1.7% from 2Q10.

Churn at 3.3%, "down" from 3.4% in 2Q10 (at this level, does it even matter?). 4G rolled out to 200 million subscribers, but no word on market counts or schedule. Plans are in place to move to LTE with the AT&T takeover.

So there you have it. It looks like AT&T and Verizon are pushing strong overall numbers, while both Sprint and T-Mobile are struggling.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Verizon comes out with a new phone every other day it seems not to mention their massive ad campaign. Its not surprise. I am surprised sprint is doing as well though.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Here's the real low down on 2Q carrier by carrier.

Entner: The Verizon iPhone did nothing to AT&T (and other key lessons from Q2) - FierceWireless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones