Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:51 AM

104 posts, read 240,617 times

Advertisements

Please take the time to view this video. At the end they'll tell you how to set your phone so you don't run this risk! Social networking can be risky.

This applies to all mobile and smartphones that can take pictures, and have GPS, mapping, or location capabilities.

Everyone with a camera phone needs to watch this, and then be sure to share with family and friends.

Its REALLY important info, about what posting photos online, that were taken with your cell phones can do! Most people are not aware that there is a tremendous amount of information, referred to as metadata, attached to every digital photo you take. Its not like the old days. You need to be aware of the technology out there these days so beware.

If you have children or grandchildren you NEED to watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vARzvWxwY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:55 AM

8 posts, read 56,046 times
Wow!!! Thx for sharing!!! I adjusted the settings on my IPhone.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Or just don't post pictures online.

But the meta data included in digital pictures can be very telling. Some cameras also geo-tag pictures. Very useful for the photographer.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:41 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
What these sites fail to tell you is that when you use many website, like City-Data for example, the meta data and geo tags are stripped out. If you donwload the picture you don't get access to any of that information.
I believe Facebook works the same way.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Also of note: If you post process (edit) your images on a computer before you post online, when you go into the file and "save for web" (or similar command), there is usually an option you can check off to save or not save the metadata in the image when you save the web copy of it. If you're not posting directly from the phone, this is a good way of ensuring no data is in the online copy.

I see FAR more people willingly giving out personal info in the text part of their Facebook and Tweet posts than I do in photos. My favorite is when their full name is their profile name, and they post, "We'll be out of town for a week on vacation - Wahoo!".... which to some translates into, "Come take my big screen TVs now".

http://bestsmileys.com/freak/3.gif (broken link)

Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
Ah, the ol' metadata scare. Comes around at least once every year or so.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
What these sites fail to tell you is that when you use many website, like City-Data for example, the meta data and geo tags are stripped out. If you donwload the picture you don't get access to any of that information.
I believe Facebook works the same way.
Sorry, that is false information. I just downloaded (right click "save image as") and checked one of the pictures in my album on C-D, and the metadata is there.

Obviously FB doesn't either because it was FB images that the reporter used to find and surprise the mom that didn't want to be interviewed on camera.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Sorry, that is false information. I just downloaded (right click "save image as") and checked one of the pictures in my album on C-D, and the metadata is there.

Obviously FB doesn't either because it was FB images that the reporter used to find and surprise the mom that didn't want to be interviewed on camera.

I've pulled pics from C-D in the past and found EXIF data in them (date taken and camera model info).

FB has been stripping EXIF data for a number of years. If you read the article that goes with that (quite old) video, the pics were found on photo bucket.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
If you are concerned about this there is couple ways to avoid it other than turning the feature off in the camera. Personally I think it's great feature for future reference, I have thousands of old photos here and would love to know where some of them were taken. Manufactures need to do a better job of informing their customers about features like this and by default they should be turned off.

Using something like Irfanview or Exifer you can edit this information or even do entire folders of images in batch mode. In addition to that the "Save for web" option of most image editors *usually* strips the metadata. This is not for security purposes but to save a few kilobytes in file size.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
*test* Here is a Geo-tagged photo.
Tell me where it was taken.

I also just downloaded a friends photo from Facebook. Nothing, not even the exif data, was there. So Facebook does strip this stuff out. Probably didn't when this video was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Don't post cell phone pics untill you see this news clip-imag0330.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones