Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,467 times

Advertisements

I am interested in this service. It looks like they can use either ATT and Verizon service, depending on the phone used and is limited to 3g speeds. No-contract monthly plans

Thoughts and experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:48 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
I am interested in this service. It looks like they can use either ATT and Verizon service, depending on the phone used and is limited to 3g speeds. No-contract monthly plans

Thoughts and experiences?
I looked at the Straight Talk dot com website and their sign up website. Both appear to require the use of a SIM card, so no. ATT or TMobile only. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA and do not use SIM cards.

http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopSims
Quote:
This program is not available with CDMA (i.e. Verizon, Sprint, Metro PCS), TracFone, SafeLink, NET10, Straight Talk or BlackBerry phones.
Should anyone find other results then I will be happy for anyone who might care.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:44 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I looked at the Straight Talk dot com website and their sign up website. Both appear to require the use of a SIM card, so no. ATT or TMobile only. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA and do not use SIM cards.

Should anyone find other results then I will be happy for anyone who might care.
The link above is to the Straight Talk page that SELLS sims...so clicking on CDMA phone choice results in a message that a sim for a CDMA phone isn't available. This makes sense.

I have seen multiple references to ST working with either CDMA or GSM phones, and that you should select the type that works best where you plan to use it. I now think that the reason they ask for your primary use zip code early in the "buy a phone" dialogue at the ST web site is so they can offer the correct carrier phones.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:38 AM

129 posts, read 324,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post

Yes , you can get a Straight Talk Phone that uses the Verizon Network . I know , because I had one and a couple of friends of mine just got their Straight Talk Phones with use of Verizon Network. You buy the Phones at Walmart Store and you choose the phones with the Verizon code. it will start with the letter "C" like in CDMA for Verizon . ATT code or T-Mobile that uses the GSM will start with a different letter. Just make sure you get a phone with the code letters you want to use.
So , yes indeed , you can get them for the Verizon network.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:21 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
I've had Straight Talk on the Verizon network for about six years and have been happy with it- I don't go online with my phone, although it has that ability. Talk and text is all I use and taking and sending a pix now and then.

Recently, though, I have not received my VM timely. There can be a delay of a day or so.... I talked to a couple of people with Verizon and they have had the same problem, so, hopefully it will be fixed quickly.

For several years I had the unlimited plan with Straight Talk for $45 a month. Then I dropped down to the plan that is $30 a month and I haven't exceeded the minutes or texts. $32 a month (with tax) for a phone is fine with me- beats the $100 a month I paid when we had the ATT family plan.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:30 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,372,113 times
Okay, help. My son wants a iphone. His college only gets good reception using Verizon. How do I use Straight Talk on the Verizon network with an iphone? The same way as mentioned up post or something different? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones