Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 11:47 AM

168 posts, read 365,339 times

Advertisements

True story

if you dont need phone 24/7
why not go wifi only?

$0/month

you got wifi at home ? library?starbucks., mcdee......etc

It works same like phone back in the day
home phone stays home , and you answer it when you get back(or at McD, starbucks.....0
this was done like that for a long time

simple
google number(and it takes voice mail too) + hangouts + hangouts dealer

seriously
its rough right now
but there is a future in this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz View Post
google number(and it takes voice mail too) + hangouts + hangouts dealer
Pair it with an Obihai device to use the same number as a free landline service while at home.

Quote:
there is a future in this
That's assuming Google doesn't eliminate the service or the free calling with the service. Google does kill projects without much notice, so I wouldn't suggest that anyone become too dependent on this freebie.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:00 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
but there is a future in this
I think the future is called Google Project Fi.

It's a wonderful thing, so I hate to bring up any negative. But in the interest of being complete they are (1) concern about 911, (2) latency with Wifi can be annoying, (3) Google has a right to collect data on your calls, (4) you can't rely on something free since it could be taken away. Many people consider Google Voice/Hangouts as a good supplemental number.

But for the extremely frugal it is tempting to use just Google Voice (GV). Especially since you can dial up from remote places with free wifi. It is not possible to always find free wifi, and you should have something to cover emergency situtations.

Page Plus Cellular (PPC) offers 10 cent cellular calls (5 cent texts) for as little as $10 for four months (+$1 for E911 + tax). If that is too frugal they have a $25 and $50 plan as well where the minute cost goes down to 6 & 5 cents per minute. You can have your google voice number ring your PPC number as well, and you won't be charged unless you answer your cell call. You can do both GV and PPC on one phone or different phones.

Selectel Wireless (SW) sells a 365 day plan for $75 that has 2000 minutes and 2000 texts. I haven't tested it, but you could probably forward your GV number to your SW, and make the decision to answer on cell, or just wait and call them back on WiFi.

But if you are really into the totally free, then get RingPlus (R+) on Sprint which gives you 250 minutes and 500 texts on cellular for attaching a credit card and a $5 balance to cover overages (2 cents per minute or text). Small downside is you have to listen to songs or commercials while waiting for the other person to pick up. If you get a Sprint Android phone than you can put GV and R+ on the same phone. You cannot forward GV calls to your R+ number as of today. There is a software issue.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Pair it with an Obihai device to use the same number as a free landline service while at home.
not sure would you need that kind of device
they just trying to sell stuff you already have
that thing would be sitting in your home, why?

you would be better off with old android phone without service ( does the same thing that device does )
because even without cell service you can make 911 call from anywhere
that device, you got to pay for 911 service

as for google killing this service , it's possible
but things are moving toward wifi direction
more and more companies are pushing for wifi calling ((but they want to charge you for it) again for something thats already there))

right now I read somewhere , that Taiwan is making wifi Towers instead of cell towers ( for tourists for now)
thats where I think telephony and wireless should go
why gsm and cdma bs ?
why my phone does not work in Europe ? Japan ?
with wifi it can go anywhere

but its all about greedy phone companies

Old 08-22-2015, 04:35 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
not sure would you need that kind of device
The Obihai OBi200 VoIP Telephone Adapter with Google Voice & SIP is not very expensive. While I agree that there are other options, a lot of people like OBi200 because it allows them to retain their familiar phone already in the house.

Quote:
right now I read somewhere , that Taiwan is making wifi Towers instead of cell towers ( for tourists for now)
thats where I think telephony and wireless should go
why gsm and cdma bs ?
why my phone does not work in Europe ? Japan ?
with wifi it can go anywhere

ut its all about greedy phone companies
It's not entirely about greed, some of the standards are relatively new. With WiFi the frequencies are not assigned, so WiFi devices have to signal to see if a frequency is clear. With telephony that can be annoying, and sometimes the lag time means you are talking over yourself. Google Voice or it's predecessor, Grand Central, have been around for almost a decade. Nowadays, wifi is common in most homes. Yet the phone industry is still alive. That is not entirely a plot by the cell companies.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:40 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Using WFI on Republic Wireless... https://republicwireless.com/plans/

I have been using this for over 3 years, and it has been a great savings every month!

Old 08-22-2015, 04:52 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Using WFI on Republic Wireless... https://republicwireless.com/plans/

I have been using this for over 3 years, and it has been a great savings every month!
Wow! Thanks. I never heard of these alternatives before. I need something as I have not been able to use my TMobile inside my house (and sometimes outside and in other buildings) for over a year. They can't seem to find the problem. Meanwhile, I'm paying for almost nothing every month.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Wow! Thanks. I never heard of these alternatives before. I need something as I have not been able to use my TMobile inside my house (and sometimes outside and in other buildings) for over a year. They can't seem to find the problem. Meanwhile, I'm paying for almost nothing every month.
I'm surprised T-Mobile hasn't suggested you get a Personal Cellspot.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:59 AM

uh , oh
I have just tried it
sound quality was good, better than tmo cell line
this is a go

tricky part about this is securing your local number
some people are waiting it out , to become available
but you can look (search different area codes) for availability
Could not find nothing in TX
so I picked Ohio

Old 09-02-2015, 12:02 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
If you have wifi then why not use wifi calling in and around your home..TMobile offers wifi calling.

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 09-02-2015 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones