Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:10 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times

Advertisements

I have US Bank and a Samsung Galaxy S5 on Sprint. I've used the US Bank app plenty and never had a problem so far. It's pretty much just as secure as logging in from home, unless you're on a wireless network you may or may not trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 07:23 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Unfortunately, you could get 5,000 examples of folk saying that they've not had any problems, and just not hear from the ones that did.
Kind of have to disagree with you there. People complain WAY more then they compliment.

Quote:
Is Lookout Mobile Security a good antivirus/antimalware app? It came pre-installed on the phone.
Don't use any of those. Seriously just a waste of system resources. Just use common sense. Don't download sketchy apps from the store, don't fall for nigerian prince emails, or Bill Gates emails saying he is going to pay you to forward an email...

Old 10-16-2016, 10:16 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
I use my credit union app all the time.
My fingerprint is my login. Seems secure.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:51 AM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
No, because my bank is prehistoric and doesn't have them. Nothing against them. I've been using online banking for years, just not from a mobile app. I've never had a problem with it. My ATM/credit cards have all been compromised, in some cases multiple times. Every few years on of them gets compromised. Probably gas stations and restaurants. It's ridiculously easy to skim a credit card. Tampering with a card reader is not prohibitively hard. Chip may help a lot there but lots of places aren't using chip yet.

Are they safe? No. If you use common sense (dual factor authentication if available), use separate passwords and a keyring so when one gets hacked they don't get your password to everything or at least tiers of passwords so you're not using the same password for financial stuff as you are for less secure things, do not install keyloggers on your computer and practice safe browsing habits, and to a much lesser degree do not do stuff over open wifi connections, they're a hell of a lot safer than using credit or debit cards. Mobile if anything is probably safer than using a computer simply because, by default, there's less opportunity to do stupid stuff. Now if you root/jailbreak and are installing random apps outside of Play Store, Apple Store you lose a lot of that. Not that there aren't malicious apps available on Play Store/Apple Store but they filter them pretty well.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:47 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
I use the Suntrust app. Never had any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones