Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 02:20 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,252 times

Advertisements

Just bought an Iphone 7 to use with my new hearing aids with Bluetooth capabilities. Prior to getting hearing aids last week I avoided using any cell phone because there was too much background noise to be able to hear over a cell phone.

Learning how to use a smartphone is much more of a challenge than getting used to my new hearing aids.

I have managed to set up wifi,voicemail and email on the smartphone. I have not yet synced it with my Windows 7 PC, because, I am not sure what that is going to do.

I imagine if I sync the two devices, if I delete an email on the computer - that will automatically delete it on the smartphone. Is that correct?

What else does it sync? For example will it copy my entire address book on my computer over to my Iphone? I don't really want that to happen automatically.

Will pictures I take with my Iphone automatically show up on my home computer? I don't want that to happen automatically either.

Is there a way to pick and choose what I want to sync and what not to sync? There is a lot of stuff on my computer that I do not want on my smartphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 08:06 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
You will need to download Apple’s iTunes software to your computer. You can make backups or restore your phone there, and also you can reconfigure your iPhone screen from there which you may find faster than manually moving icons around on the touch screen.

You would do this by clicking on the phone shaped icon that will appear in the upper left corner of iTunes while you have your phone plugged into your computer's usb port.

On the left sidebar of the screen, you will see a bunch of settings for different aspects of the phone.

Under Summary, you will find some options on this screen re: how you want your phone to sync to your computer.

Apps is the setting if you want to reorganize your phone screens.

Last edited by Debsi; 10-13-2017 at 08:23 AM..

Old 10-13-2017, 10:38 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Just bought an Iphone 7 to use with my new hearing aids with Bluetooth capabilities. Prior to getting hearing aids last week I avoided using any cell phone because there was too much background noise to be able to hear over a cell phone.

Learning how to use a smartphone is much more of a challenge than getting used to my new hearing aids.

I have managed to set up wifi,voicemail and email on the smartphone. I have not yet synced it with my Windows 7 PC, because, I am not sure what that is going to do.

I imagine if I sync the two devices, if I delete an email on the computer - that will automatically delete it on the smartphone. Is that correct?

What else does it sync? For example will it copy my entire address book on my computer over to my Iphone? I don't really want that to happen automatically.

Will pictures I take with my Iphone automatically show up on my home computer? I don't want that to happen automatically either.

Is there a way to pick and choose what I want to sync and what not to sync? There is a lot of stuff on my computer that I do not want on my smartphone.
1. Will depend on which email service you use, and how it is set up. I use Gmail and whatever I do on the computer happens on the phone too. However, Gmail is synced over the cell network and does not need to be synced to a PC unless you want it to. If you're using a different email system, like Outlook, then this answer depends on the settings you choose.

Address book syncing only happens if you set it to do so in your settings.

Pictures can be made to automatically be copied to your computer, but that's up to you. You set that up in iTunes and/or iCloud. You will probably need to sync pics to something or the iPhone memory will get too full. Mine are stored on iCloud.

Also syncing is used to make a backup of everything on your device. Your phone probably backs up to iCloud already. As you can hopefully see, you don't need to sync to a computer at all if you do not want to. Most things are synced via iCloud, or the email service you use. It's up to you.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:22 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
1. Will depend on which email service you use, and how it is set up. I use Gmail and whatever I do on the computer happens on the phone too. However, Gmail is synced over the cell network and does not need to be synced to a PC unless you want it to. If you're using a different email system, like Outlook, then this answer depends on the settings you choose.

Address book syncing only happens if you set it to do so in your settings.

Pictures can be made to automatically be copied to your computer, but that's up to you. You set that up in iTunes and/or iCloud. You will probably need to sync pics to something or the iPhone memory will get too full. Mine are stored on iCloud.

Also syncing is used to make a backup of everything on your device. Your phone probably backs up to iCloud already. As you can hopefully see, you don't need to sync to a computer at all if you do not want to. Most things are synced via iCloud, or the email service you use. It's up to you.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have outlook on my computer. I have set up Icloud on my smartphone. I think I will wait a while before I sync the two. There is so much more I need to learn about how to use the iphone 7 before I try to sync it with my computer.

My priority at the moment is trying to understand how my hearing aids with Bluetooth work with the iphone. Discovered this morning that the beeps I was getting in my right and left ear was telling my the hearing aid batteries were about to die - and not that I had an incoming call or email!

Old 10-13-2017, 01:38 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
My priority at the moment is trying to understand how my hearing aids with Bluetooth work with the iphone. Discovered this morning that the beeps I was getting in my right and left ear was telling my the hearing aid batteries were about to die - and not that I had an incoming call or email!
Think that was just the hearing aids beeping at you, not the phone telling them to tell you the batteries were low, though that's possible!

If you decide to move forward on the email, here's some instructions for Outlook to iPhone: https://www.imore.com/how-set-outloo...iphone-or-ipad

You can still download iTunes and plug the phone into the computer without syncing everything since you can select which information you want to sync through iTunes, as I described above. There's a setting under "Summary" called "Automatically sync when this iphone is connected." You probably want to uncheck that box.

It's a good idea to have a hard copy backup on your computer. That way, if you ever have problems with the phone you can use the "Restore iPhone" option through iTunes without wiping the phone of all your personal info.

The only thing I share between my phone and my Windows laptop is the music/podcast part.
(That's because I also have a mac, which obviously works better with the iPhone)

Old 10-16-2017, 07:49 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Not sure why you wouldn't want to synch pictures and everything else to your computer.
Your email should synch automatically without ever connecting to your computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones