Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2018, 05:15 PM

108 posts, read 120,703 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Hoping you can help me out with my phone, figure out what is wrong. If you look at the attached image, you'll see my speeds with full bars. An HTML only webpage takes minutes to load, and forget about a YouTube video.

Wifi works fine sometimes, and sometimes the apps will say "no internet connection" even when I'm connected via wifi. This would always happen occasionally, but seems to be getting really bad lately.

Phone is a iphone 5s with 11.2.5. Have not installed 11.3, yet. I have a different 5s with 9.3.5 that doesn't have these problems, so I'm trying to decide if it's Apple or Verizon or both.

Turning the phone on and off will fix Wifi problems but not data speed.

Thanks everyone,
Attached Thumbnails
iPHone on Verizon terrible speeds with full bars.-img_0436-1-.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 06:02 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,269,560 times
I would take it to a Verizon store.

One thing to check first is to clear all network settings and see if that helps.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,557,029 times
More often than not you can have full bars and crap data speed due to how many people are using the local towers. I live in vacation land. Weekdays my Verizon towers give me 20 megs. Busy Weekends it could drop as low as .5 meg. Just how it is. Might not be your phone. Data speed is a factor of how many people are using the local tower.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:25 AM

I went to take the phone to the verizon store, and there was only one employee working. So I went to a competitor's store for their opinion and they said I was probably being throttled. I tend to believe them. Onto the next carrier.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripBro View Post
I went to take the phone to the verizon store, and there was only one employee working. So I went to a competitor's store for their opinion and they said I was probably being throttled. I tend to believe them. Onto the next carrier.
You are not going to escape being throttled. All companies do it. Even on so called unlimited plans. Fact of life. I’ve never been throttled with Verizon. But I use WiFi and am not a heavy phone data user.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:03 PM

295 posts, read 354,744 times
If you are still getting slow speeds on wifi then something else is wrong. But if it's only slow with cellular data then throttling could be the issue especially if you're a heavy data user.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
You are not going to escape being throttled. All companies do it. Even on so called unlimited plans. Fact of life. I’ve never been throttled with Verizon. But I use WiFi and am not a heavy phone data user.
I was with ntelos, which was bought out by sprint, and had unlimited, unthrottled 3g, which was good enough for me. I still have two more carriers to try though so I can decide who abuses me the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
If you are still getting slow speeds on wifi then something else is wrong. But if it's only slow with cellular data then throttling could be the issue especially if you're a heavy data user.
Sometimes I get slow speeds on wifi too, which is why I suspect, occasionally, that there is something wrong with the phone. But turning it off and on always fixes the problem so who knows whats up with that.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripBro View Post

Sometimes I get slow speeds on wifi too, which is why I suspect, occasionally, that there is something wrong with the phone. But turning it off and on always fixes the problem so who knows whats up with that.
Your phone is fairly old. Time to replaced it by the looks of things.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:48 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,257,482 times
It is likely the battery, the phone is old, time to replace it or the battery, if you have not already replaced the battery.
Apple confirms iPhones with older batteries will take hits in performance

Maybe try the latest update.
iOS 11.3: How to check if your iPhone is being slowed down
Apple's new battery health tool is now available; here's how to get it and what you need to know.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
It is likely the battery, the phone is old, time to replace it or the battery, if you have not already replaced the battery.
Apple confirms iPhones with older batteries will take hits in performance

Maybe try the latest update.
iOS 11.3: How to check if your iPhone is being slowed down
Apple's new battery health tool is now available; here's how to get it and what you need to know.
The health tool is not available for for the 5s, so there is no point in downloading the update. I suspect that the OS is partly to blame for the phone's problems. I should have researched before I downloaded 11. Another 5s I have which serves as an alarm clock has no wifi issues and better battery life than the newer (but plagued with IOs 11) device. I will replace the battery just to see what happens. Thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones