Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 10:07 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,313,508 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing? I almost always get up before my alarm and then I'm in another room or on another level of my home when it starts going off. I could turn the alarm off as soon as I get up but then I have to remember to set it when I go to bed. I guess the app would have to be able to figure out if you've gotten up for good or just gone to the bathroom though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 04:24 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
How would the phone know you are already awake ?? I cannot think of a way the phone could easily make that determination.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:17 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,313,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
How would the phone know you are already awake ?? I cannot think of a way the phone could easily make that determination.
Well, a fitbit can track how many minutes you sleep

Old 04-21-2018, 07:27 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
The difference is you wear a fitbit on your wrist and a phone typically is in your pocket or on a piece of furniture when you aren't carrying it around. The fitbit measures you pulse while on your wrist and the phone does not on it's own, although some phones can measure your pulse. Not the same thing and not really a good comparison.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:42 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,577,787 times
most (all ?) smart watches have to be tethered to a cellular tele-fone to work therefore updating the fone of your r.e.m. sleep habits via blu-tooth.

i know of no alarm clock app that takes advantage of this info since the effort would be only for a small slice of persons who would actually use it.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:00 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post

The Fitbit (at least on the Charge HR that I have) has an alarm, and it generally doesn't go off if you already are up and moving when the alarm is scheduled to go off (and even if it does, it's attached to your wrist and silent, so it won't bother anyone else).

Old 04-22-2018, 08:24 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
How about a really weird suggestion: get an actual ALARM CLOCK and put it on your nightstand. If you wake up before the alarm goes off, push the button in. At night, last thing before you turn out the light, pull the button out.

Side benefit: while your "smart" phone will go obsolete every couple years, your ALARM CLOCK never will.

Secondary side benefit: although you have to pay high monthly subscription fees to keep your "smart" phone working, your ALARM CLOCK only takes a few cents per week of electricity.

My 40-ish year old ALARM CLOCK is still working great!

Old 04-22-2018, 08:25 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Quote:
Personally, I use this wild new technology called "subtraction" to figure out how long I have slept.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:04 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Is there such a thing? I almost always get up before my alarm and then I'm in another room or on another level of my home when it starts going off. I could turn the alarm off as soon as I get up but then I have to remember to set it when I go to bed. I guess the app would have to be able to figure out if you've gotten up for good or just gone to the bathroom though.

It's your inner clock... body's internal or biological clock, housed deep within the brain. It works pretty well till it gets... disrupted with a time change. It takes some time to adjust, but then it's back to normal.
Not a phenomenon, not your phone app but your own brain, because your body’s internal clock is just as good, if not better, than the contraption shrieking atop your nightstand. Lots of people experience the same.
Google "the circadian rhythm" if you want to know more.
Your brain is the best alarm "app" imagined.

Last edited by elnina; 04-22-2018 at 09:12 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 09:09 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,865,290 times
There's an app called Sleep Cycle that analyzes your sleep and wakes you in the lightest sleep phase. It uses info based on your movement and sound. I think you place the phone on the mattress. People who use the app love it & swear it's voodoo.
https://www.sleepcycle.com/how-it-works/

The iPhone has a built in "sleep analysis" to track how many hours & minutes you sleep. I look at it occasionally & it's very accurate by the minute. For example, if I get up during the night to use the bathroom, it'll have it down to the minute. I'm not sure if Apple uses the accelerometer, microphone, or machine learning to track sleep.

Anyways, the tech is out there to shut off an alarm based on the user being awake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones